DVDFab vs Makemkv for ripping?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Bruzonsky

500 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Lately I’ve been using Makemkv to rip my music Atmos and Auro-3D blu-rays, the whip files are on my network server, and I am using a Dune HD Solo 4k to play them flawlessly, as recommended by others on this forum.

A good friend uses a different program DVD Fab for ripping

What are the pros and cons of DVDfab vs Makemkv?

MakeMKV only does disc ripping software (decrypt your own discs) while the guys behind DVDFab also distribute/create software to steal streaming content. Vote with your conscience.
I think that's a little unfair. I have DVDFab I use only for disc ripping/decrypting. Some people consider that stealing.
As far as "stealing" streaming content, there are apps for that beyond DVDFab. (I don't subscribe to any streamers except Spotify free)

I've only used Makemkv and very rarely at that. But I see them both mentioned frequently around here so this post got my curiosity up. I found this:

https://www.hitpaw.com/video-converters-tips/makemkv-vs-dvdfab.html

Obviously intended to entice you to using something called Hitpaw media tool. But still I thought the list detailing the differences between DVDFab & Makemkv worthwhile.

I've only used Makemkv and very rarely at that. But I see them both mentioned frequently around here so this post got my curiosity up. I found this:

https://www.hitpaw.com/video-converters-tips/makemkv-vs-dvdfab.html

Obviously intended to entice you to using something called Hitpaw media tool. But still I thought the list detailing the differences between DVDFab & Makemkv worthwhile.
There are some fallacies in that link.
Yes, you can use DVDFab to compress the video. No, you don't have to, you can use the Clone Disc feature which gives a 1:1 copy decrypted.

makeMKV does not have to ouput to .MKV. It can also do folder backups, decrypted. e.g. the BDMV & CERTIFICATE folders from a BD. What good is that you say? Well you can use a free tool such as ImgBurn to use the backed up folders to create an .iso file. You can play this with a software player or burn it to a disc for a backup if you desired.

But yeah, they are just trying to sell something.

I bought MakeMKV when you had to buy it before you could get away with "evaluating beta versions". So I keep using it to get my money's worth I guess?

What feature might DVDFab have that MakeMKV doesn't?

Ripping streaming is just hitting record if you do HTPC. If it's 24 bit lossless... you have 24 bit lossless copies that are clones. That's why Dolby is going so hard to use Atmos to make people buy new AVRs all over again and make their profits with hardware sales instead of media sales.

Someone said ripping DVDA. I've used free DVD Audio Extractor or DVDA Explorer since forever. Any other DVDFab features that might be nicer or something?

That linked article...
Framing a lossless 1:1 rip as a possible con because of large files while framing lossy rips as a pro for compatibility... well, I'm not the target audience there!

Someone said ripping DVDA. I've used free DVD Audio Extractor or DVDA Explorer since forever. Any other DVDFab features that might be nicer or something?
I don't rip to flac or wav. I rip DVDA/SACD/BD to .iso and that's the way I play it. I have a 1:1 copy of the music. I also have a full backup if a disc fails (I've had it happen!)
For all you that have time and energy to rip to several formats, more power to you.
I can rip DVD/BD/DVDA to .iso with DVDFab.

My MO is to rip to flac or wavpack to strip away proprietary formats. Or if not considered strictly proprietary, anything that might be depreciated down the road. Full iso files or mkv can be many times the size of the root audio put to flac.

mlp files seem to be the same size as the wavpack counterpart. I'm keeping a folder of those at present for backup or something. Ripping those to wavpack to play though.

My MO is to rip to flac or wavpack to strip away proprietary formats. Or if not considered strictly proprietary, anything that might be depreciated down the road. Full iso files or mkv can be many times the size of the root audio put to flac.

mlp files seem to be the same size as the wavpack counterpart. I'm keeping a folder of those at present for backup or something. Ripping those to wavpack to play though.
HDD space is cheap.

I bought MakeMKV when you had to buy it before you could get away with "evaluating beta versions". So I keep using it to get my money's worth I guess?

What feature might DVDFab have that MakeMKV doesn't?

Ripping streaming is just hitting record if you do HTPC.

Exactly. 'Ripping' (stereo) audio that your computer is playing has been child's play for years. Audacity can do it 'for free'.

If it's 24 bit lossless... you have 24 bit lossless copies that are clones. That's why Dolby is going so hard to use Atmos to make people buy new AVRs all over again and make their profits with hardware sales instead of media sales.

Atmos decoding has been available on home audio hardware for near a decade now.

Yeah, that hasn't been an issue for years and years and years now either (though DVD Audio Extractor isn't free)

MakeMKV is really useful for BluRay or for pulling video content.

Atmos decoding has been available on home audio hardware for near a decade now.
Yep. All carefully crafted devices with no digital outputs to connect to your DA converters in your system. Or I have to buy a more theater aimed audio interface which will have plenty of DA and balanced outputs as well as AES-EBU outputs for your own DACs. I can't afford sideways moves like that and especially just to play commercial releases!

The DA converter in my AVR works fine. Is yours a problem?
My Apogee units have no problems at all. That's why I'm not in the market to replace expensive fully functional equipment over someone's software spoofing. That's really the long and short of it. An AVR with 12 channels of DAC at the quality I'm used to - Oh! And those things make you buy the amplifier channels all over again too! - So 12 channels of DACs and amps at full quality is not cheap no matter who you are. I'd have to treat that as though it was a decoder purchase and that's a mighty expensive decoder!

The $400 one time purchase of the Dolby reference player is, frankly a significantly better deal even at that kind of pricing. (Yeah, part of the cost there is also finding one of their vetted corporate partners to get in the back door with to be allowed to make that purchase.) Even if I was in the market to replace all my interfaces and DACs I'd avoid hardware decoding. Because of all this kind of crap they're pulling!

Just picking up the new bits to expand from 6 or 8 channels to 12 and decode the Atmos format is very much designed to be extremely difficult and force one to start over. Tout the new products all you want but this shit is not OK!

Anyway, it's just the stepped on streaming Atmos that's still locked away for me at present. I'll find that approved devices list soon enough. More likely someone else will! But MakeMKV has been working well. New bluray codes come around every 6 months or so. The update is there, download it, and it just all works again. I gave Sony their cut with the app purchase and they keep giving me access. Dolby have proven to not be trusted and I'll always avoid hardware decoding especially for them.

Show me a product that is an audio interface with just digital outputs (maybe like the RME Digiface USB ADAT interface) with a built in Atmos decoder in the $500 +/- price range. (That RME is $500 for example. So, half the output channels + the decoder.)

My Apogee units have no problems at all. That's why I'm not in the market to replace expensive fully functional equipment over someone's software spoofing. That's really the long and short of it. An AVR with 12 channels of DAC at the quality I'm used to - Oh! And those things make you buy the amplifier channels all over again too! - So 12 channels of DACs and amps at full quality is not cheap no matter who you are. I'd have to treat that as though it was a decoder purchase and that's a mighty expensive decoder!

The $400 one time purchase of the Dolby reference player is, frankly a significantly better deal even at that kind of pricing. (Yeah, part of the cost there is also finding one of their vetted corporate partners to get in the back door with to be allowed to make that purchase.) Even if I was in the market to replace all my interfaces and DACs I'd avoid hardware decoding. Because of all this kind of crap they're pulling!

Just picking up the new bits to expand from 6 or 8 channels to 12 and decode the Atmos format is very much designed to be extremely difficult and force one to start over. Tout the new products all you want but this shit is not OK!

Anyway, it's just the stepped on streaming Atmos that's still locked away for me at present. I'll find that approved devices list soon enough. More likely someone else will! But MakeMKV has been working well. New bluray codes come around every 6 months or so. The update is there, download it, and it just all works again. I gave Sony their cut with the app purchase and they keep giving me access. Dolby have proven to not be trusted and I'll always avoid hardware decoding especially for them.

Show me a product that is an audio interface with just digital outputs (maybe like the RME Digiface USB ADAT interface) with a built in Atmos decoder in the $500 +/- price range. (That RME is $500 for example. So, half the output channels + the decoder.)
Man why do you complain so much about Atmos? Just don't have anything to do with it. Problem solved!
It's unfortunate but true in Audio you have to pay to play.
Some of us patched two AVR's to get 11 Atmos channels, with the DRP. Didn't take me long to get tired of all that and just bite the bullet and buy an AVR that will decode 11 channels of Atmos.
I do use a separate amp for the 4 top speakers, pick up some of the load.

I did pay to play with ripping bluray discs. MakeMKV is still delivering on that. Still seems like a reasonable deal in hindsight too.

I'm a musician and audio guy. Things are tight. But even if they weren't... Am I really the only one who thinks being told to replace a stack of reference quality DACs and amplifiers to be allowed access to a software decoder is in any universe reasonable?! This bit is simply the inevitable "Hey everyone! Look what these clowns doing!"

The software spoofing MO for the last few years now is really something! I'm good and figure out most things. Mostly watching from the sidelines in awe and just waiting for everyone to calm the hell down with that. And loudly share any secrets I learn about along the way! :D

I guess I don't understand what the problem is. Even if it's HDMI > Analog there are cheap devices to do that.
Two HDMI out from one pc and/or 1 HDMI and 1 DP > HDMI cable (don't know wtf Mac's have) will give you 16 channels if split into analog.

I figured the belief that one can hear differences in DACs (that aren't just due to output voltage difference) might be behind this.

Ditto hearing differences between SS amps that are not being run into clipping.

For the typical consumer, not constrained by such powers, there is no such issue: the DAC and amp in their AVR will do the job just fine.

The main hurdle is installing the extra speakers. But anyone who wants to do 'full' Atmos has that issue, even the typical consumer. Just like, if you want to play 5.1 audio the way it was intended...you gotta have 5 speakers and a sub. Or two to play stereo.

It would be nice to be able to rip complete Atmos tracks from physical media, or download them as files, if one has a full Atmos setup (or anticipates owning one). I don't enjoy depending on the whims of streaming services.

It's possible to overcomplicate things when there are alternatives that 'just work' for listening to something. Audiophilia proves that every day.

Back