Fiber routers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandrix

Senior Surround Collector
QQ Supporter
Couldn't find a good place to put this so I hope this will be OK.
My pc and related components are important to me as the pc is my main playback device, but here is my quandry:
I recently acquired fiber internet, 2GB up/down but the ISP supplied router has 1 gig LAN ports. I would like to get an affordable fiber router that has 2/2.5 gig LAN ports.
Two of our pc's have 2.5 gig adapters, and I would like to make full use of the supplied bandwidth. But I'm new to fiber routers.
Remembering I'm on a tight budget, does anyone have suggestions for said device? Thanks.

Do you need 2/2.5Gbps over the internet (unlikely), or just between computers inside your home? You could buy a 2.5 or 10Gbps 5 port switch, connect your computers to it, and one cable to the internet router. It limits your internet to 1Gbps but allows the internal devices to function at 2.5Gbps

There's not a lot of use cases for needing 2.5Gbps internet, IMO. Usually the server on the other end hosting the file will be capped/throttled well below that threshold. Moving large chunks of data or transcoding internally would benefit though.

Also, maybe call your ISP who provided that modem/router and see if they can set the ports to a faster speed for you [they may have them manually set to 1Gb]. It would seem strange to sell you a 2Gbps service and then provide a device that is incapable of providing the speeds of that service.

Also, maybe call your ISP who provided that modem/router and see if they can set the ports to a faster speed for you [they may have them manually set to 1Gb]. It would seem strange to sell you a 2Gbps service and then provide a device that is incapable of providing the speeds of that service.
Yeah the router LAN ports are limited to 1 gig, I've got the spec sheet on the router. The whole point of paying for 2 gig is to use it. Internet tv, cell phones, etc.

If you want 2gb ports you will need to verify with your carrier what models work with your new feed. Dont just just pick one up and hope it works.
The 1gb external 2gb internal is certainly a good stopgap to keep you lan zippy. Properly selected it can feed off your next 2gb router and wont necessarily be a wasted cost.

One interesting point was made in a DTV discussion group (over a decade ago) that renting everything from the (then cable TV) company was best when there's a problem with the cable TV system because it's always the cable TV company equipment that's broken somewhere.

I rent my AT&T Fiber "modem" from AT&T ($10/mo), I have never had a problem with my Fiber Internet though (installed 2020-08).

In the early 1980s, there was some interference on my analog cable TV picture, I called the cable co., they came out and thought they saw that I had the RF output of my Laserdisc player connected to my TV and attempted to blame that for causing the interference, I said my LD player was disconnected and their cable box was the only thing connected to my TV, they looked a little disgusted, left, called me some time later and said it was a problem with their cable TV system.

Kirk Bayne

If you want 2gb ports you will need to verify with your carrier what models work with your new feed. Dont just just pick one up and hope it works.
The 1gb external 2gb internal is certainly a good stopgap to keep you lan zippy. Properly selected it can feed off your next 2gb router and wont necessarily be a wasted cost.
I'm trying. lol. I got hung up on after the guy went to check if the router will s upport link aggregation with a proper switch. IOW he don't know. So back to email and hopefully I get someone that knows something.

I still think this is a sticking point, if the current modem/router was provided by them and it's insufficient for the service. That's a very valid pushback. They need to lower your plan and cost per month accordingly, or provide equipment that allows you to utilize the plan appropriately.

That said, in most small business environments the internal network is 1Gbps and sometimes the client will have internet that exceeds this. As I originally indicated, very few sites on the internet will be supplying data faster than 1Gbps anyway and in the case of a small business the idea is to have several 1Gbps computers using as much of the available internet as possible when they need it (meaning it buys headroom for the computers to divide up the bandwidth allocated).

Last edited:
I still think this is a sticking point, if the current modem/router was provided by them and it's insufficient for the service. That's a very valid pushback. They need to lower your plan and cost per month accordingly, or provide equipment that allows you to utilize the plan appropriately.

That said, in most small business environments the internal network is 1Gbps and sometimes the client will have internet that exceeds this. As I originally indicated, very few sites on the internet will be supplying data faster than 1Gbps anyway and in the case of a small business the idea is to have several 1Gbps computers using as much of the available internet as possible when they need it (meaning it buys headroom for the computers to divide up the bandwidth allocated).
All valid points, I agree.
I waited and waited and thought fiber would never be here in the sticks. But it came. After years of Dial up and WATTS connections (Compuserve) for many years, then satellite, then finally ADSL that goes out every time the power does from a crap ISP that has no battery backup.
Who could blame me for wanting to take full advantage of a 2GB up/down connection?

So I found out the router will not support link aggregation through a proper switch that does support it, and a bunch of ho hum reasons why I shouldn't from support. I mean fiber is all new to me, but I did program Cisco routers and switches many years ago, and I ran IT for a group of Doctor's offices so I'm not completely out in the weeds...though it's starting to feel like it. :)

I have asked support if there's any recommendations for routers that support 2 gig on the LAN ports. In the end I'm guessing I will stick with what I have, mainly for support reasons.
Actually I only want the full speed on one pc, the other pc's and devices are well served by 1 gig speeds.

I appreciate all the comments from you folks! The knowledge of many is always greater than that of the one.

I’d at least tell your ISP that you don’t want to pay for twice what you’re getting. If they advertise 2Gig and you’re only getting 1, that’s not legal.

I'm pretty sure they sell it this way ( 2.5G to ISP, and 1G links to internal clients/devices ) because it makes good sense. You have multiple devices running up to a gig sharing the 2.5G internet bandwidth. If you want one device to use it all, you can just connect it directly to the ISP connection.

If you really need multiple devices connected to the internet with the capacity to use all the 2.5G bandwidth, you will have to implement QoS or one user will have the capacity to use all the bandwidth and kill the other users/clients. I rarely, if ever, see one normal user/client "needing" a full gig of internet bandwidth. That kind of bandwidth is usually needed by a server.

A layer 3 switch/router that runs 2.5 Gig or more on all the ports is going to be more expensive than a gig switch. You may even have to buy a 10Gig switch that supports 2.5/10G on the ports. We buy switches at work that can support this but they are business/ISP grade and are expensive compared to consumer grade devices you find on Amazon/Best Buy etc.

I’d at least tell your ISP that you don’t want to pay for twice what you’re getting. If they advertise 2Gig and you’re only getting 1, that’s not legal.
Had a long talk with the Network Admin. They are getting new routers next month that have 2.5GB LAN ports and I'm first in line.
Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Boy, have we come a long way in a very short time!
What a nice problem to have.

Never thought the Gig LAN port on a HOME router would be the internet bottleneck.

I want that problem!
<envy>
Probably would never be a bottleneck for me or most people. I just want what I pay for. If you don't ask, often times you don't get.

I'm pretty sure they sell it this way ( 2.5G to ISP, and 1G links to internal clients/devices ) because it makes good sense. You have multiple devices running up to a gig sharing the 2.5G internet bandwidth. If you want one device to use it all, you can just connect it directly to the ISP connection.

If you really need multiple devices connected to the internet with the capacity to use all the 2.5G bandwidth, you will have to implement QoS or one user will have the capacity to use all the bandwidth and kill the other users/clients. I rarely, if ever, see one normal user/client "needing" a full gig of internet bandwidth. That kind of bandwidth is usually needed by a server.

A layer 3 switch/router that runs 2.5 Gig or more on all the ports is going to be more expensive than a gig switch. You may even have to buy a 10Gig switch that supports 2.5/10G on the ports. We buy switches at work that can support this but they are business/ISP grade and are expensive compared to consumer grade devices you find on Amazon/Best Buy etc.
From what I know about fiber (talking to an installer who did my FIOS fifteen years ago), each customer is on a separate fiber and each fiber is on its own translator in the Central Office. One of the advantages of fiber is that its bandwidth is practically unlimited. The equipment on each end can change, but the fiber itself can stay in place without modification.

I agree that 2Gig is overkill for almost any residence. Maybe a hotel with a lot of TVs that stream, or a web server for a fairly popular site, but that's a LOT of bits.

Yes. I'm starting to think I'm just full of stupid about this whole fiber thing. I got excited about 2 gig up/down after years of crappy ADSL.
Realistically, 3 pc's, internet tv, and two cell phones running off the router wifi (no cell towers close) will likely never max even a 1 gig service.

I would think the internet tv would never need more than about 25 mbps. and the problems with buffering seem to be resolved now with fiber.

Back