Fiber routers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
110MegaBytes per second is fine for a wired gigabit connection. You need a 2.5 or 10Gbps switch if you want to see faster.

https://www.gbmb.org/mb-to-mbit
Yes, plenty speed all around EXCEPT pc to pc transfers. Still don't get why the speeds won't come close to matching the HDD's capabilities, since most of my drives are NAS or Enterprise drives. Even SSD to SSD from pc to pc. What's the bottleneck in this case?

Yes, plenty speed all around EXCEPT pc to pc transfers. Still don't get why the speeds won't come close to matching the HDD's capabilities, since most of my drives are NAS or Enterprise drives. Even SSD to SSD from pc to pc. What's the bottleneck in this case?
You are at the max speed for your network connection. 110MBps = 880Mbps (upper/lower case B matters, use the calculator link I provided)

It’s an ongoing project of mine to run CAT 6 & RG 6 to every room that might use it, so every bedroom and everywhere one might put a TV (we have a living room and a family room, go figure). I’m not crawling around in the crawl spaces until the weather cools down, though. I still have three rooms to go.
I had to look up RG 6, we don't have that standard in the UK. Our equivalents are CT100, FT100 or WF100 depending on what you want.

I had to look up RG 6, we don't have that standard in the UK. Our equivalents are CT100, FT100 or WF100 depending on what you want.
I’m depending on a memory that’s pretty much stuffed with song lyrics, but as I recall, RG58 was the 75 Ohm standard when I was a kid. There was Rg 59, which was 52 ohms. Maybe that’s backwards. A lot of amateur radio operators used RG8 for theit kilowatt transmitters.

Anyway, RG6 has been the 75 Ohm go-to since at least the 1980s on this side of the pond.

I still have a Dish "dish" on the house. I need to get it down and maybe pull up all the RG6 cable as I have no use for it anymore. We get our TV off the internet for a while now and I can't see going back to satellite TV. I took down my old OTA antenna last year so really nothing I use any of the cabling for anymore.
Or maybe the cable is RG12? Can't remember.

Just so you know... It is possible to purchase RG-6 cable in the UK, indeed Screwfix sells it in both black and white. They also sell something called GT-100 😲
Yes, of course you can. RG6 is bog standard 75 Ohm coax. You can buy it anywhere for about 40p/metre.

Last edited:
I couple of years ago AT&T "upgraded" our house from ADSL which actually came in over twisted pair copper , to Fiber Optic. I was relatively excited but as is often the case worried that things might not go "as planned".They didn't. I dragged my feet until they actually turned off the ADSL. Then it took them two months to actually get the Fiber Optic installed.

When it works correctly the Fiber Optic internet is quick and snappy.
But it freezes and "buffers" constantly. Extremely annoying. I have had them "let's send you a new router/gateway" twice which never did anything. I have complained to customer service that I am not getting the service I am paying for. Their solution is to offer me to try a faster more expensive service level. I would be willing to do that if they were to include a money back garauntee that it would solve the problem. Sometimes it works well for long enough that may exasperation level goes down some but it really is not acceptable service.

(maybe going off topic)

There are some AT&T Fiber discussion groups (one on att.com, IIRC), maybe join these and detail your problems, I live in a suburb of the great MO river city without an Arch, my AT&T Fiber has been 100% reliable, even through all of the severe midwest weather.

Kirk Bayne

I couple of years ago AT&T "upgraded" our house from ADSL which actually came in over twisted pair copper , to Fiber Optic. I was relatively excited but as is often the case worried that things might not go "as planned".They didn't. So I dragged my feet until they actually turned off the ADSL.
How odd... I've had no issues at all with my optical fibre service (supplied by BT). The really old unused overhead two wire cable was removed to my house and the new optical fibre cable pulled through.

Prior to this my broadband service was supplied via a 'coaxial cable' (Virgin Media) but it got really expensive and I got fed up phoning them every year negotiating a discount!

I agree it is odd and unexpected. And my sons and I agree it gets worse when we have very wet weather here. Which symptom would be less surprising with twisted pair than with fiber.

Just so you know... It is possible to purchase RG-6 cable in the UK, indeed Screwfix sells it in both black and white. They also sell something called GT-100 😲
Well they're all xx100 since that is 1.00 mm squared cross section for the centre copper conductor. For long runs you can get xx125 to reduce losses per metre. Anyway the issue is what do CT, FT, WF and now GT mean. My experience is they vary depending on the manufacturer and seller who seem to ignore the standards.

Anyway, RG6 has been the 75 Ohm go-to since at least the 1980s on this side of the pond.
Reading up, the problem with RG6 appears to be the solid foil part of the screen is aluminium which is not ideal. Copper plated aluminium (CT100 and FT100) or solid copper (WF100) provide better screening. Oddly my first batch of CT100 also had solid copper foil for the screen. CT is partly air spaced between core and foil and only intended for indoor use lest it turn into a hosepipe for rain. FT and WF are foam spaced so suitable for exterior use. No idea what GT is supposed to be.

I agree it is odd and unexpected. And my sons and I agree it gets worse when we have very wet weather here. Which symptom would be less surprising with twisted pair than with fiber.
I never had any problems with "double twisted pair" ADSL other than the ISP sucked and every time the power went out, so did it as they had no battery back up.
Since I recently got fiber I don't know about any long range problems, but being as how it's run here on the power poles and we have bad storms and hurricanes, an outage related to that is a certainty for some people at some point. But then again so is the power. So it goes.
You can (and I do) have a generator to supply power, but when the internet goes down you're SOL.
Here in the sticks we depend on the internet to be up for cell service, as there are no cell towers close by.

Reading up, the problem with RG6 appears to be the solid foil part of the screen is aluminium which is not ideal. Copper plated aluminium (CT100 and FT100) or solid copper (WF100) provide better screening. Oddly my first batch of CT100 also had solid copper foil for the screen. CT is partly air spaced between core and foil and only intended for indoor use lest it turn into a hosepipe for rain. FT and WF are foam spaced so suitable for exterior use. No idea what GT is supposed to be.
In the 1990s, I worked for a CCTV company and we ran miles of RG6 between our cameras and recorders, occasionally between buildings. While the skill and dedication of our installers varied, I don’t ever recall a problem with the coax except one splice ising wire nuts.

...I don’t ever recall a problem with the coax except one splice ising wire nuts.
I nearly plopped my pants the first time I saw 'wire nuts' being used for mains power connections in the states. We stopped using those things here in the UK after the first world war!

But using wire nuts for a coaxial cable install is, well 'nuts' ;)

I nearly plopped my pants the first time I saw 'wire nuts' being used for mains power connections in the states. We stopped using those things here in the UK after the first world war!

But using wire nuts for a coaxial cable install is, well 'nuts' ;)
Of course, the tech who did that had an excuse - he was out of BNCs and had to make the connection.

We still use wire nuts for power splices, although by all the codes I know, they are supposed to be enclosed in a fireproof box.

Back