HiRez Poll Flack, Roberta - KILLING ME SOFTLY [Blu-ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Roberta Flack - KILLING ME SOFTLY

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I'm not fond of some of the tracks music-wise. Generally most of Roberta's catalogue has varying degrees of filler to exceptional tracks though. Her voice is always beautiful and the arrangements showcase it well. It has a good quad mix so I give it an 8.

Boy what a surprise quad album this turned out to be.
I never had the CD 4 nor Q8 of this back in the day , and I kinda missed out.

She has lot's of soul but a rather killer jazz/rock band backing her up.

Plenty of individual instruments at play in the two rears and fronts , and the music is thoroughly enjoyable on each track.This disc is demo quad quality I think.

This disc will definitely get further replays. Instant NINE !

Thankyou @ForagingRhino and all at RHINO/WEA

I had not heard the term “bass management” in a decade…it is like a bad memory, like SCMS and all the other early digital foibles.

But now with that kickdrum, pushing my (wireless Beolab 17) RF to its destruction limit, I have to reconsider it. (I read others say the kick drum is on LF?)

Does my Axiim Q UHD even have bass management? It for sure has no 44.1kHz DTS, only 48, so lacking.

I cannot even run the front channels through my ancient AudioPro subwoofer’s analog controls since it gets its own signal only through a dedicated WISA receiver.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I just received the latest batch of QUADIO's on Friday and I too was taken back by the prominence of the kick drum that is throughout "Killing Me Softly". I did NOT recall hearing this way back when this was on the radio in seemingly in constant rotation (admittingly on AM or FM radio in my parents' car(s) so fidelity was definitely an issue!) so, I toggled over to the stereo mix and sure enough, it was there too. In my opinion, it is rather (i.e. more) distracting in the Quad mix as it so prominent in my right rear speaker that at first, I thought my speaker was having a problem. Thoughts...

I just received the latest batch of QUADIO's on Friday and I too was taken back by the prominence of the kick drum that is throughout "Killing Me Softly". I did NOT recall hearing this way back when this was on the radio in seemingly in constant rotation (admittingly on AM or FM radio in my parents' car(s) so fidelity was definitely an issue!) so, I toggled over to the stereo mix and sure enough, it was there too. In my opinion, it is rather (i.e. more) distracting in the Quad mix as it so prominent in my right rear speaker that at first, I thought my speaker was having a problem. Thoughts...
It should be in the right FRONT speaker. You might have front and rears reversed?
Definitely in the RF in my system.
I had not heard the term “bass management” in a decade…

But now with that kickdrum, pushing my (wireless Beolab 17) RF to its destruction limit, I have to reconsider it. (I read others say the kick drum is on LF?)

I mentioned in another thread that I had gotten a stereo LP copy of this recently. I had actually ordered the CD-4. I was fully refunded for the purchase but I digress.

Anyway I have never cared much for the title track, mid seventies AM radio fodder IMHO. So I wasn't expecting that much from the album. Well I was pleasantly surprised, first by the content and sound quality of the cleaned up LP. Had I heard more than the hit back in the day I'm sure that I would have scooped up this record.

Now the Quadio! What's not to like? I'm voting a ten!

I’d like to see/hear Roberta’s “First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” in quad. Anybody know if it is available?
there were rumours for many years of an unreleased Quad mix of the Roberta & Donny album (the LP with "You've Got A Friend" and "Where Is The Love" on it) but nothing has materialised in the years since so who knows!? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Back