Florida hurricane

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought of your post today when I was at Costco and a car that was pulling into Costco had Canada license plates....it was sunny and 74 degrees and they had just gassed up at $2.78 a gallon for regular gas....since Covid and a massive amount of people coming here to Florida...yes prices have gone up...but where hasn't that happened?....and I like to NOT pay state taxes....and yes this year there are more storms than usual...I've lived here 30years and only left my residence 1 time...

Canada is a beautiful country but it's WAY too cold for me most of the year....I can wear shorts here just about all year..
Two points, neither having to do with hurricanes.

Gas here in Idaho is running in the$3.50 ballpark. My brother in law in California is envious.

My caricature of a native Idahoan: Beard like ZZ Top, lots of tattoos, shorts, tamk top, flip flops, shoveling snow from his F-350 pickup.

Gas here in Idaho is running in the$3.50 ballpark. My brother in law in California is envious.

I paid $2.75 the other day. You can imagine the sticker shock when we make trips to California and they rent us a giant SUV because those are the only ones they have left with four wheel drive.

My caricature of a native Idahoan: Beard like ZZ Top, lots of tattoos, shorts, tamk top, flip flops, shoveling snow from his F-350 pickup.
We have friends in Idaho. The husband wears jeans and sports a mustache. So I guess he doesn't make the barfle team cut.

I thought of your post today when I was at Costco and a car that was pulling into Costco had Canada license plates....it was sunny and 74 degrees and they had just gassed up at $2.78 a gallon for regular gas....since Covid and a massive amount of people coming here to Florida...yes prices have gone up...but where hasn't that happened?....and I like to NOT pay state taxes....and yes this year there are more storms than usual...I've lived here 30years and only left my residence 1 time...

Canada is a beautiful country but it's WAY too cold for me most of the year....I can wear shorts here just about all year..
:eek: Thats only about £2.13 per US gallon so around £2.55 per UK gallon!

So we pay around £1.35 per litre, that is £6.14 for a UK gallon or £5.12 for an equivalent US one (US gallon is 0.8333 of a UK one). A large part of our fuel cost is tax, there is fuel duty on petrol/diesel, then we pay 20% VAT on the fuel & duty price (so tax-on-tax!)

Last edited:

Well my beard wouldn't match Billy Gibbons' but it's about mid chest now and snow white. I have a few small 'tats. My driver is a '96 Ranger we bought new back then. Snow? What's that? Seriously I have seen snow in Florida quite a few times, but never enough to accumulate.
Gas is running about $3.2x right now, where you can find it I guess.

Right now we're expected to have wind gusts up in the low 50mph range where I am, I can live with that, although I have some home damage unrepaired as yet where a huge pine tree snapped in half and hit during Helene.

When I was a kid the two dream destinations were Florida and California. No more.
I guess we all had different childhood dreams...I had several...the girl that sat next to me in Biology class...a 63 Split Window Corvette...and to grow up to be 6'5....oh well...I learned to adjust over the years...BUT NOT GETTING THE CORVETTE still hurts..

Yes! California had Disneyland. And then Disneyworld was added later in Florida.
Disney World was quite the epic in terms of hush-hush land buying. It was basically scrub and swampy land. The corporation managed to get the land cheaper by keeping it all on the down low before people could jack prices up.
I have to confess I've never been past the gate, and that when Disney World was being constructed. I do remember Orlando as a sleepy but friendly town before all the attractions moved in. I did go to 12 Rock Superbowls at the old Tangerine Bowl back in the day.

Disney World was quite the epic in terms of hush-hush land buying. It was basically scrub and swampy land. The corporation managed to get the land cheaper by keeping it all on the down low before people could jack prices up.
I have to confess I've never been past the gate, and that when Disney World was being constructed. I do remember Orlando as a sleepy but friendly town before all the attractions moved in. I did go to 12 Rock Superbowls at the old Tangerine Bowl back in the day.
Went to Disneyland the second year it was open, I was 5 years old. I still remember a good amount of bits & pieces from it. My dad liked it too so every other year we drove across the USA in our Chevrolet to Disneyland. Sometimes side trips to Frisco, Carmel, Los Angeles.

As a teenager in the mid 60's I remember taking a ride in Tomorrowland. It was a preview of a new Disney project in Florida. They were going to drain the swamps, build an even bigger better Disneyland & indeed plans for an entire permanent living community. The latter one never took off.

And as a dad it seemed family vacations were always one year in Orlando & the other year in Phoenix to visit my grandparents. Great places to visit but I could not live there. Too hot & too much sunshine for me.

Back