Guess Which Rhino Quad Disc is Coming Out This Friday, Oct 25, 2024?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since this is part of a larger release and a quad mix, I was looking through the 1974 potentials. There are about 6 that standout as strong potential candidates. Though, it probably will wind up not being a 50th anniversary thing. Interesting to note some of the titles that had quad mixes, back in the day...

The only thing Iam kinda certain about Fridays upcoming release, is I will buy in.
Thinking rock can be ruled out as we just got 4, so really pulling for some low down nasty Blues..........

I'm gonna guess that this one is going to be "special." Not just from the quad master tapes of years gone by. Maybe an Atmos mix or a "new" quad mix. Or a classic quad album with some unreleased tracks. It might not even be available to use as part of a bundle for that discount.
Again, just guessing. But a guy feeling.

Ok, how about Chicago (aka Chicago II) instead?

Given how much remix work Steven Wilson has done for Warners lately (and the fact that they just issued an Atmos/quad version of Chicago IX: Chicago's Greatest Hits so they're clearly open to doing Chicago) is it a stretch to see them reaching out to Wilson to do an Atmos mix, especially since all the heavy lifting was already done in 2017 when he did the stereo remix?

There are so many mixes/mix variants you could put on a Blu-Ray:

1970 2.0 Stereo
1974 2.0 SQ Quad
2003 2.0 Stereo (Klingberg mix, the HDTracks version that doesn't have the DVD-A mastering compression)
2017 2.0 Stereo (Steven Wilson mix)
2024 2.0 Stereo (SW revised mix)
2024 2.0 Instrumental (SW)

1974 4.0 Quad Mix

2003 5.1 Mix (Klingberg, remastered/unmastered)

2024 Atmos Mix

Add that in, along with single edits, mono mixes, demos, and if you're really feeling spicy, add in the 1970 Tanglewood, MA show from that tour from Wolfgang's Vault (on YouTube here) and you have the makings of a very nice "expanded/deluxe-ish reissue of a classic rock album."

Back