How are you ripping your ATMOS Blu Rays?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so I read this thread 3x and I can be dense. But 7.1 playback is just that and the overhead Atmos channels get mapped side surround? Or am I doing something wrong? I ripping via MakeMKV then extracting the audio via MMH. TIA

What output format are you extracting to?

If you use MKV, mka, mp4 or m4a the Atmos stream is preserved and can be decoded via Passthrough by your AVR (As Atmos if your AVR has an Atmos decoder, or 7.1 if your AVR has a TrueHD decoder or 5.1 I’d you have a AC3 decoder).

If you use FLAC or WAV only the Atmos 7.1 core is decoded to PCM so you lose the Atmos metadata and will hear everything in the Atmos mix redistributed to 7.1 if you have a 7.1 system or 5.1 if you have a 5,1 system, with your system remixing the 7.1 to 5.1 losing no information (rears merged with sides).

What output format are you extracting to?

If you use MKV, mka, mp4 or m4a the Atmos stream is preserved and can be decoded via Passthrough by your AVR (As Atmos if your AVR has an Atmos decoder, or 7.1 if your AVR has a TrueHD decoder or 5.1 I’d you have a AC3 decoder).

If you use FLAC or WAV only the Atmos 7.1 core is decoded to PCM so you lose the Atmos metadata and will hear everything in the Atmos mix redistributed to 7.1 if you have a 7.1 system or 5.1 if you have a 5,1 system, with your system remixing the 7.1 to 5.1 losing no information (rears merged with sides).
That was my issue - using WAV. I did a trial run using the MKV file extension and voila!!! Now I have to fix 59 album rips! Luckily, I am still in possession of 56 of them. Thank you very much.

When doing the audio extraction, is there a way to run it where it puts the files in a folder? Can I run multiple files at once and it automatically groups it into folders? Thanks

I have a 5.2.4 (4 height speakers). I bought a Neumi Atom 4k device to stream Atmos music/concerts from a USB SSD attached to the Neumi then HDMI out to my Anthem AVM70. I am using MakeMKV on a MacBook to rip Blu-ray to an MKV file. They play fine from the Neumi except it is just one big file with no chapters to be able to navigate to specific tracks. Are there any tools that run on Mac that would allow me to extract/breakup the MKV into individual files? It seems like all the tools I find are Windows-based. Thanks

Late to the party here. Interesting to read about the loss of spatial data when converting Atmos to FLAC. I've been making everything FLAC for ages. Admittedly I only have S/PDIF 5.1 and so I'm not hearing anything less but for future proofing the discussion has been interesting.

I use Winamp (lol, I know) or Foobar2000 for playback generally, Kodi sometimes (it runs as a second screen on my TV). I seem to get gapless from Winamp just fine.

For the record my process is (slightly laborious):
1. Extract Disc to MKV with MakeMKV
2. Use mkvtoolnix to extract audio only, select split before all chapters
3. Convert to flac using eac3to: for %X in (M:\Music\flac\MKV\*.mka) do start eac3to "%X" "%X.flac" is a nice command prompt shortcut
4. Rename files, then auto-add metadata using foobar2000 and this pattern (%artist%\%album%\%tracknumber% - %title%)
5. Calculate/add replaygain info and album art
6. Enjoy!

I have a 5.2.4 (4 height speakers). I bought a Neumi Atom 4k device to stream Atmos music/concerts from a USB SSD attached to the Neumi then HDMI out to my Anthem AVM70. I am using MakeMKV on a MacBook to rip Blu-ray to an MKV file. They play fine from the Neumi except it is just one big file with no chapters to be able to navigate to specific tracks. Are there any tools that run on Mac that would allow me to extract/breakup the MKV into individual files? It seems like all the tools I find are Windows-based. Thanks
Try MKVToolNix
https://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html#macosx

I run on Win so can't speak to the mac port.
If it does you can use mkvmerge to split the mkv into component chapters.

mkvmerge -o ${OUTPUT} --split "chapters:all" ${SOURCE}
# Incremental numbers will be appended to the ${OUTPUT} filename.
# example: mkvmerge -o doors.mkv --split "chapters:all" The_Doors.mkv

Hello Everyone, I recently ripped over 2 terabytes of my CD library to a 4 TB hard drive using DBPoweramp and it worked well, I recently started ripping my Blu-Ray Audio, Quad and DVD-Audio discs, after reading this, I might be doing it wrong or need to adjust my process, my home theater has a 13.1 speaker set up, I want the ability to have full dolby atmos play from my rips, my home theater is using a Marantz 8805 preamp, ATI Power Amps, M&K speakers, Eversolo DMP-A6, Oppo 105 and 205 players and I am thinking about a better Streaming DAC to work with the Eversolo in the future but I wanted the HDMI multichannel ability and it provides that, I am retired and getting older, I want the convenience of my music library without bending over for the disc search...long term I am thinking of maybe a Roon for multiple endpoints in my house.

I recently started my Multichannel/Hi Rez ripping, I am currently using MakeMKV into DVD Audio Extractor for my Blu-Ray Audio discs (Atmos. DTS 5.1 and Stereo). So here is my problem, will my Atmos rips play back fully on my 13.1 system? Even if it says 8 channel when I am ripping on DVD Audio Extractor? Will the 6 Ceiling Height channels open up automatically because my Marantz has the Decoder and because it will be running HDMI out of the Eversolo streamer or the future Roon? I am using a Mac computer for this ripping process, as I said the rips will be on the 4TB hard drive connected to Roon or the 4TB drive installed in the Eversolo streamer, the Dual Disc, Quad and DVD Audio rips seem more straight forward.

The other struggle I got is with the Metadata, the DBPoweramp had great meta options, album art, multiple sources to choose from but with the DVD Audio Extractor it seems limited and it is changing the song orders during rips unless the song number is part of the song title...any help would be greatly appreciated..

Hello Everyone, I recently ripped over 2 terabytes of my CD library to a 4 TB hard drive using DBPoweramp and it worked well, I recently started ripping my Blu-Ray Audio, Quad and DVD-Audio discs, after reading this, I might be doing it wrong or need to adjust my process, my home theater has a 13.1 speaker set up, I want the ability to have full dolby atmos play from my rips, my home theater is using a Marantz 8805 preamp, ATI Power Amps, M&K speakers, Eversolo DMP-A6, Oppo 105 and 205 players and I am thinking about a better Streaming DAC to work with the Eversolo in the future but I wanted the HDMI multichannel ability and it provides that, I am retired and getting older, I want the convenience of my music library without bending over for the disc search...long term I am thinking of maybe a Roon for multiple endpoints in my house.

I recently started my Multichannel/Hi Rez ripping, I am currently using MakeMKV into DVD Audio Extractor for my Blu-Ray Audio discs (Atmos. DTS 5.1 and Stereo). So here is my problem, will my Atmos rips play back fully on my 13.1 system? Even if it says 8 channel when I am ripping on DVD Audio Extractor? Will the 6 Ceiling Height channels open up automatically because my Marantz has the Decoder and because it will be running HDMI out of the Eversolo streamer or the future Roon? I am using a Mac computer for this ripping process, as I said the rips will be on the 4TB hard drive connected to Roon or the 4TB drive installed in the Eversolo streamer, the Dual Disc, Quad and DVD Audio rips seem more straight forward.

The other struggle I got is with the Metadata, the DBPoweramp had great meta options, album art, multiple sources to choose from but with the DVD Audio Extractor it seems limited and it is changing the song orders during rips unless the song number is part of the song title...any help would be greatly appreciated..
For Atmos you should stop the ripping process at MKV. This will preserve all the video and audio (same for other formats such as DTS-HD)
You could further rip Atmos to MP4 or M4A. I would not consider using DVD Audio Extractor for Atmos unless recent versions rip and preserve Atmos content to MP4 or M4A.
I don't know what your player will play/won't play.
I rip everything to .iso format and play with either PowerDVD Ultra/Jriver/VLC. This preserves the original intact fully but of course is not suitable for all hardware players.

EDIT: for DVDA .iso's I play with Foobar with the SACD DVDA component added from Sourceforge. Of course DVDA can be ripped with DVDAE to flac and played that way, same for SACD ripped (but not with DVDAE as far as I know)

Last edited:
Something to check: I'm not sure the Eversolo DMP-A6 supports digital passthrough (to your AVR). I think the Eversolo's HDMI output is limited to 5.1. The good news is, either of your Oppo's can do the job of passing ATMOS to the Marantz AVR.
It seems like the whole digital streaming hardware market has various forms of HDMI crippling . . . no doubt to avoiding licensing costs. :(

Something to check: I'm not sure the Eversolo DMP-A6 supports digital passthrough (to your AVR). I think the Eversolo's HDMI output is limited to 5.1. The good news is, either of your Oppo's can do the job of passing ATMOS to the Marantz AVR.
It seems like the whole digital streaming hardware market has various forms of HDMI crippling . . . no doubt to avoiding licensing costs. :(
So I looked into it...you are right, the Eversolo's HDMI audio output is limited to 5.1, so the Atmos rips I did unfortunately will not work with my system setup to properly maximize all my speakers, the Eversolo HDMI output will play the SACD DSD64 rips I will will be doing with my Oppo 105, I think that my DTS 5.1 rips, DVD-Audio & Quad rips and my 192/24 stereo rips will also work through the HDMI out of the Eversolo. When you said "either of your Oppo's can do the job of passing Atmos to the Marantz AVR", did you mean by inserting and playing the disc?

Thanks for your answer...This has been a time consuming task...lucky that I am retired, lol

So I looked into it...you are right, the Eversolo's HDMI audio output is limited to 5.1, so the Atmos rips I did unfortunately will not work with my system setup to properly maximize all my speakers, the Eversolo HDMI output will play the SACD DSD64 rips I will will be doing with my Oppo 105, I think that my DTS 5.1 rips, DVD-Audio & Quad rips and my 192/24 stereo rips will also work through the HDMI out of the Eversolo. When you said "either of your Oppo's can do the job of passing Atmos to the Marantz AVR", did you mean by inserting and playing the disc?

Thanks for your answer...This has been a time consuming task...lucky that I am retired, lol
Your OPPO's HDMI output can pass every 2-ch and multi-channel audio format you've mentioned (to your Marantz AVR) including Atmos!

Back