How Many Have Tinnitus?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A cure is about twenty years out, just like it’s been for the last fifty years.

Hopefully mine won’t get any worse, although I do occasionally abuse my ears.
Tinnitus was noted in my medical records in the Army (which no one now seems to have, BTW) and I first went to the VA about it in the 70's, then again in the 80's, and they said just deal with it, basically. I also fractured my left foot in Basic, but they can't find that either....I had to get a Congress critter to get my service records (which are weirdly inaccurate) but that does not include medical records since that's the VA's purview.
But doesn't matter now I guess, I was just curious.

I usually don't notice it if I'm not thinking about it. Guess what I'm thinking about right now? So... thanks for that...

I have the very 1st stage of damage. Heightened sensitivity to high mids. No frequency loss yet. So... Turn that down! I have children sleeping here! Don't you boys know any nice songs!?

If I'm hunting for resonance frequencies to eq out of something in that range, I still focus on the input. I don't accidentally start trying to turn down the tinnitus frequencies. Not dead yet!

Live cymbals, snare, and electric guitar man... fuck!

I usually don't notice it if I'm not thinking about it. Guess what I'm thinking about right now? So... thanks for that...

I have the very 1st stage of damage. Heightened sensitivity to high mids. No frequency loss yet. So... Turn that down! I have children sleeping here! Don't you boys know any nice songs!?

If I'm hunting for resonance frequencies to eq out of something in that range, I still focus on the input. I don't accidentally start trying to turn down the tinnitus frequencies. Not dead yet!

Live cymbals, snare, and electric guitar man... fuck!
Yeah if the cymbals are a little "hot" it can annoy me now. I assume from the tinnitus.

Rock loving teen in the 70s so of course I have hearing loss. Sleep with a fan to cover up the buzz in my head. Didn't know it how bad I had it until I did some work in an anechoic chamber at IBM. Kind of frightening.

My older brother is a musician and he has it bad. Surgery. Hearing aids. Worried he might kill himself during the worst of it.

Rock loving teen in the 70s so of course I have hearing loss. Sleep with a fan to cover up the buzz in my head. Didn't know it how bad I had it until I did some work in an anechoic chamber at IBM. Kind of frightening.

My older brother is a musician and he has it bad. Surgery. Hearing aids. Worried he might kill himself during the worst of it.
There are hearing aids that will help. Musician Ian Hunter had to bow out of the last Mott The Hoople reunion tour because his tinnitus was unbearable.
He posted that he is now using hearing aids that cancel out most of it.
I think they figure out what frequency each person's ringing is, then use the same frequency out of phase to cancel it.
I'm sure they're out of my budget...

Tinnitus is caused by damage to the basilar membrane and the nerve cells in the cochlea.

Too often someone who wants the music too loud causes tinnitus in other people.

I don't think you can phase cancel tinnitus out because the call is coming from inside the house. The hearing aids are incorporating DSP that lets it compress the daylights out of incoming sound and present it to what remains of your pickup 'just right' for you without causing more damage.
Hearing "remastered"! :D

Tinnitus was noted in my medical records in the Army (which no one now seems to have, BTW) and I first went to the VA about it in the 70's, then again in the 80's, and they said just deal with it, basically. I also fractured my left foot in Basic, but they can't find that either....I had to get a Congress critter to get my service records (which are weirdly inaccurate) but that does not include medical records since that's the VA's purview.
But doesn't matter now I guess, I was just curious.
There was a big fire in the military records building sometime in the 1970s, IIRC. Just like losing a bunch of master tapes, the only service records of thousanfs of veterans have been lost forever. There is an effort being made to digitize what’s left, but some of those ashes don’t give up their secrets easily.

I don’t believe my issues were caused mainly by the bangs I heard in the Army. Some, no doubt, but I grew up around guns, so there was plenty of cause before and after.

There was a big fire in the military records building sometime in the 1970s, IIRC. Just like losing a bunch of master tapes, the only service records of thousanfs of veterans have been lost forever. There is an effort being made to digitize what’s left, but some of those ashes don’t give up their secrets easily.

I don’t believe my issues were caused mainly by the bangs I heard in the Army. Some, no doubt, but I grew up around guns, so there was plenty of cause before and after.
Yep 1973. Actually it was 16-18 Million records that got destroyed.
Of course nothing was digitized back then.

Between hundreds of concerts, loud car stereos, band practice, etc., I earned mine. High-pitched tone that is constant. Don’t typically notice it except when it is silent around me. I notice a bit of hearing loss - turning things up a bit louder is often what I need - but no serious implications to date. Best wishes to all who are haunted by this condition.

I have the very 1st stage of damage. Heightened sensitivity to high mids.
I have that too. In very noisy rooms with lots of people talking loudly it's too painful and I have to leave. I try to carry earplugs but I don't always remember. I also have a single pitch high frequency tinnitus in my left ear but I only notice that in very quiet rooms. It doesn't stop me sleeping.

Between hundreds of concerts, loud car stereos, band practice, etc., I earned mine. High-pitched tone that is constant. Don’t typically notice it except when it is silent around me. I notice a bit of hearing loss - turning things up a bit louder is often what I need - but no serious implications to date. Best wishes to all who are haunted by this condition.
Yes. this pretty much sums me up as well. And your sign off statement is lovely. I echo it. Heartfelt wishes to all who are haunted by this.

Back