In Search Of: Storage Ideas for CDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apologies if this is breaking the bank, but I've been using the Prepac Quad Width storage cabinet for some time. Holds 1520 CDs, technically. I store about 1000 CDs and about 200 DVD-A, SACD, Bluray Audio, DVD-V, and a few books. Got mine for about $250 if memory serves. Relatively easy to assemble, but it is big. I'm in the process of moving it to a new media room in the basement and I've had to disassemble to get it down there.

Anyway, hope it helps and hope I'm not repeating anyone else, as I'm mostly a lurker. :)
Good luck!

https://www.prepacmfg.com/product/quad-width-wall-storage-0
I use similar but smaller storage cabinets mounted on the wall in my basement "man cave". They are also made by Prepac purchased on Amazon.

My solution:
1526378466_IMG_988339.jpg

I use a few different versions of the Kallax shelves.
KALLAX Shelf unit, black-brown, 43 7/8x57 5/8

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?q=kallax

They work well with:

CD Bulk Storage Boxes

https://www.hollingermetaledge.com/cd-bulk-storage-boxes/

The boxes each hold 90 discs and you can fit 2 boxes per shelf opening. Vinyl and similarly sized deluxe editions fit well in the Kallax shelves as well. I like that Hollinger Metal Edge products are archival quality and likely to stay available for purchase into the future. I've been buying the same boxes for 10+ years.

Not DIY, and fairly inexpensive. Of course taste is subjective.

... I trashed them all before 10 years, because of too much wasted space and plastic, and over all, I'm too lazy for always running around, searching for each title that came in my mind.

... I trashed them all before 10 years, because of too much wasted space and plastic, and over all, I'm too lazy for always running around, searching for each title that came in my mind.
I don't understand why anyone would "trash" their CDs unless they were already trash (unplayable). I can see them being put up for sale or donated to a thrift shop. Most people here including myself seem to prefer having a physical release, even if it's also ripped to a hard drive.
When I say "CD" I'm referring to all types of physical discs. For me downloads/copies have little "real" value.

Angry old contrarians unite! lol

[this is more a commentary on how threads devolve on this forum than about anything specific to this thread, which has long run its course because of course it did]

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Parsons-End-Table-Black-Oak/16451428

I have stacked most of my {UHD}Blu-rays, DVDs, CDs {the ones bought since mid-2018} on one of these in my basement {my HD-DVDs are stacked on the floor on a rug}.

One thing I really like about the Walmart Parsons table is the "True black oak finish", I hope my method is helpful.

Kirk Bayne

If you're keeping rips of those releases, transferring ownership of the originals—whether for money or not—is illegal.
This is not true in every legislation. In Germany you do not need to own the original to make a copy for personal use, it just has to be a legitimate original that is used for creating the copy (and it must not be copy protected, no matter how weak the protection). You can borrow it from a friend, from the public library, or you can go with a laptop to a store and make the copy there (if the store would allow it, which is highly theoretical 😉).

Of course you are not allowed to distribute the copy in any way, except within the family and among very close friends.

This is not true in every legislation. In Germany you do not need to own the original to make a copy for personal use, it just has to be a legitimate original that is used for creating the copy (and it must not be copy protected, no matter how weak the protection). You can borrow it from a friend, from the public library, or you can go with a laptop to a store and make the copy there (if the store would allow it, which is highly theoretical 😉).

Of course you are not allowed to distribute the copy in any way, except within the family and among very close friends.
I have heard from other Germans that it is illegal to make backup copies of anything with copy protection—even for personal use—which is beyond unfortunate, given that not all optical media lasts forever. We have no such restriction in the U.S.; personal backup copies are considered "fair use" of copyrighted works. One must still own the original from which the copy was made, however, to make that copy legal to possess. I am surprised that German law permits owning copies without the original. Theoretically, an artist could make thousands, but sell only one copy of an album which is purchased by a public library and then ripped by every German resident. That would be incredibly unjust to the artist, who would only see royalties from the singular sale.

Back