Jethro Tull 5.1 (“Bursting Out” box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in June 2024!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a reason I use the word 'typically'. Also the word 'disc'.
With 'typically' you are right, but we are here in a Jethro Tull thread and Jethro Tull are known for music and not for movies.
I don't understand your objection with 'disc'. All my statements relate to discs.

... there was no lossless audio compression standard when DVD-V was invented.
So why did you wrote lossy or lossless?

... S/PDIF interface, which is bandwidth-limited to 2 channels of Redbook PCM.
Sorry, but this is not true: You can easily transfer 2 channels of 48 kHz PCM, which is not Redbook standard, via S/PDIF. You can also transfer 24 bit, which is again not Redbook standard (16 bit).

... But typically DVD-As contained other content too, and the lossless audio was expected to be 'high rez' (> 44kHz/16bit), leading to space constraints. Hence compression.
You could store approximately 80 minutes of 6 channel uncompressed 96 kHz/24-bit PCM on a single sided DVD-Audio. Hence typically there is no compression needed.

... DVD-As offering multichannel LPCM rather than MLPCM exist, but are rare.
What is MLPCM? Do you mean PPCM?

Yes, such DVD-As exist, as I said. They're rare. I have maybe two or three in my whole collection -- one's an EMI classical 4.0 disc with no video, the other two are Morton Subotnik discs of 4.0 and 5.1, one with a 30-min 'light show' as a feature. I've never seen one with a full-length feature movie on it, usually just 'video clips' at most.

( Btw are you referring to Dark Passion? Audio on that appears to be 48kHz/24 bit 5.1 LPCM -- not traditional 'hi rez', possibly due to space concerns? )

data transfer bandwidth of DVD (surface to laser pick up) limited by 9mbps. amount of data of 6 tracks at
96/24 exceed 9mbps. that's the reason why was developed PPCM (MLP) compression. and yes you're correct,
those disc have 48/24 resolution raw PCM

With 'typically' you are right, but we are here in a Jethro Tull thread and Jethro Tull is knowm for music and not for movies.

I wasn't aware we were to limit the discussion to Tull DVD-Vs Which btw typically have so much video content that lossless 5.1 LPCM would be problematic.

I don't understand your objection with 'disc'. All my statements relate to discs.So why did you wrote lossy or lossless?

Because 'disc' can refer to DVD-V or DVD-A. Lossless compression is more typical on one than the other. I don't understand why you are getting so hung up on it.

Sorry, but this is not true: You can easily transfer 2 channels of 48 kHz PCM, which is not Redbook standard, via S/PDIF. You can also transfer 24 bit, which is again not Redbook standard (16 bit).

Point was that even at Redbook rates -- the minimum acceptable lossless format -- you could only 'fit' 2 channels through an S/PDIF interface. Yes, you can go higher, but still limited to 2 channels.

You can store approximately 80 minutes of 6 channel uncompressed 96 kHz/24-bit PCM on a single sided DVD-Audio. Hence typically no compression needed.

Yes, IF there is no space constraint from other content...which there TYPICALLY is, even on DVD-A.

What is MLPCM? Do you mean PPCM?

Yes, or MLP PCM. My bad habit is to leave out the 2nd P.

I just necessary some details and was searching on Google for it. I visited every single page that came on very first page and didn't got any relevant result then I thought to take a look at the second one particular and got your weblog. This really is what I wanted!

SoundVisionFebMarch2012Aqualung51.jpg

The more we send the better our odds. Whether you are a QQ member or viewing as a guest doesn't matter.

Here's the link again if you need it:
http://www.emimusic.ca/#!/about/contact

It could be time to beg again, this time for Thick as a Brick 40th on blu-ray.

All Tull on BLU-RAY, BLU-RAY, BLU-RAY!
They grow all their roses red,
and paint our skies blue
drop one penny in every second bowl
make half the beggars lose,

SOURCE

Steven Wilson has agreed to remix the álbum Too Old To RnR: Too Young To Die! as part of the definitive edition, says Ian Anderson.
It will include unreleased songs (Advertising Man, Commercial Traveller) recorded in Brussels in 1976.
Will the package include the LWT TV Special?.
"We are trying to get the aproval for that".
Source:
A New Day, The Jethro Tull Magazine. #119
Dave Rees.

My guess is that Wilson will continue to do Jethro Tull remixes up until and including "Stormwatch". (Apparently his favorite Tull song is "Dun Ringill")
Great news for us of course! Hoping for a Spring 2016 release for "Too Old…" :)

Ian said sometime back that "Songs From The Wood" was one of his personal favorites, and that he would like to hear what SW could do with it.

I so wish we could get "Stand Up" mixed by Steven. I'm wondering if the multitracks are missing for this older title. This would sound soooooo good.

Last edited:
I'd like Heavy Horses, but not in lossy dts.

I'm not sure I could tell the difference between DTS 96/24 and Advanced Res DVD-A (especially not in a properly setup blind listening kinda situation) but if you can, good for you :)

Meantime I'll take Heavy Horses in 5.1 DTS 96/24 and any other Tull that Steven Wilson chooses to remix into 5.1 (so long as they're not pesky Dullby Dirgeitall.. wah wah wah.. ;) ).. it's probably all academic at this stage anyway since next up is Too Old To Rock 'n Roll.. in 5.1, apparently..

No Broadsword and the Beast? That one was made for surround!

I don't know…
What I said in my above post was just a guess on my part as I'm just not certain SW is all that interested in remixing "A"
Maybe he is, maybe he isn't, but I think everything up to and including "Stormwatch" is likely over the next few years.
They certainly aren't going to get to "Broadsword" until after the 70s albums are completed.

I so wish we could get "Stand Up" mixed by Steven. I'm wondering if the multitracks are missing for this older title. This would sound soooooo good.

I think they are, simply because before SW got on board doing new stereo and surround mixes for these reissues, "This Was" got a brand new stereo mix as part of its deluxe edition, and "Stand Up" did not. At least the latter release contains a good Carnegie Hall concert from 1970 remixed in surround, along with a great 40 min. video interview with IA about the album itself.

I'm not sure I could tell the difference between DTS 96/24 and Advanced Res DVD-A (especially not in a properly setup blind listening kinda situation) but if you can, good for you :)

Meantime I'll take Heavy Horses in 5.1 DTS 96/24 and any other Tull that Steven Wilson chooses to remix into 5.1 (so long as they're not pesky Dullby Dirgeitall.. wah wah wah.. ;) ).. it's probably all academic at this stage anyway since next up is Too Old To Rock 'n Roll.. in 5.1, apparently..

There isn't that much of a difference IMO between DTS 96/24 and MLP or LPCM 96/24, but lossless 5.1 should still be an option as part of these releases. It is 2015 after all…
I have a feeling all of the DVD-V titles will be reissued on Blu-Ray at some point, but unfortunately that means we'll have to fork over more $$ in order to get them that way…
Que Sera, Sera ;)

I doubt it would happen but I would love to hear Live...Bursting Out in 5.1, Unedited and n proper order (If it isn't already). Isn't LBO from a television broadcast? (is that what the "LWT TV Special" mentioned by rtbluray is?)

Back