Jethro Tull 5.1 (“Bursting Out” box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in June 2024!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, let me get this straight, they've all sold out, so they're not making anymore.. Brilliant! :ugham:

Not much logic in that.

If it's some marketing genius's idea for profit... Sell a lossy version 1st (the DTS 24/96 version). Then let it go out of print right away. Then come back after hunger for it grows and further, finally release it in full quality (ie. no DTS - even if DTS 24/96 is so very close to lossless).

That's the most logical scenario I can come up with. Seems like attributing malice to stupidity though...

Or perhaps this is the label's way of saying "Hey, we made enough on this! The rest of you just trade this among yourselves for free. We're good."

If this were true it would pretty much be the stupidest plan anyone could possible make!
Sell a CD only with a lossy copy of a stereo version of SW's remix (which is basically a calling card for those without a surround system to get a tease of what's there to hear) and then no actual copy of the original stereo mix itself (not even a lossy one) or the 5.1 remix that was such a big deal. Yeah, that'll work!

I've seen some incredibly greed driven stupid things from the industry before but I don't think they're this out of it.

An interesting new interview with Ian Anderson here:
http://ytsejam.com/2015/08/interview-with-jethro-tulls-ian-anderson/

A few interesting bits here:
HASH: You have worked closely with Steven Wilson on remixes. Does working closely with the albums again take you back to the original sessions?

ANDERSON: There is a certain amount of “flashback” that goes on when you go into the detail of the mixing; the detail of the instruments and so on. Steven has a free reign to get to the understanding of the music and present some rough mixes to me. I then listen to them and maybe go into his studio a couple of times and refine things; maybe making a few changes here and there in the process. He’s actually in the USA at the moment on tour and this morning he sent me some mixes of what he had done while he was in his dressing room on his laptop; preparing the elements for the new mixies, even while he’s on tour doing his own stuff. We’re working on Too Old to Rock and Roll, Too Young to Die at the moment and against all the odds, we found some songs that were never released on the original, so we have at least three previously unreleased songs.

HASH: What other JethroTull reelases can we expect as far as reissues go?

ANDERSON: Steven is going to continue with the 1970’s releases, I suppose we would be into Songs from the Wood, Heavy Horses and Stormwatch; that will probably be it for him. Once we hit the 80’s, he would have done so many Jethro Tull albums. I always said to him, that when he thinks it’s time to bow out and stop doing these, feel free. I guess for him, that classic period of Jethro Tull in the 70’s was when he was growing up and getting acquainted with rock music, our music, King Crimson, and others that were having an impact on him. He went on to be a musician, indeed a progressive rock musician very much because of the bands that influenced him as a teenager growing up. For him to work on this music is something that is part of his musical heritage. I suppose when you get into the 80’s, he was already up and running as a musician himself, so he probably didn’t pay much attention to us anymore (laughing).

To the handsome Lad who wasn't sure which Jethro Tull to get:

Get them ALL. Out of ALL my 5.1 purchases, the Tull remixes(save Aqualung) represent the best value. We all here have different favorite Tull, so just get them all so your particular tastes will be satisfied. If you miss the boat here I guarantee you'll be on ebay getting gorged when these go out of print.

jt.jpg

Get them ALL. Out of ALL my 5.1 purchases, the Tull remixes(save Aqualung) represent the best value. We all here have different favorite Tull, so just get them all so your particular tastes will be satisfied. If you miss the boat here I guarantee you'll be on ebay getting gorged when these go out of print.

Of course my good friend Dennis would say that these releases represent the best value as he's not an XTC fan… ;)
But whilst I agree with him that all of these Jethro Tull releases pictured above are must-buys for surround sound fans, if one needs to prioritize purchasing certain releases over the others, I would definitely go with "A Passion Play", "War Child", and "Minstrel in the Gallery" first then go back and hit up "Benefit" and "Thick as a Brick" as all of the three latest releases contain extra DVDs with even more surround content to enjoy.
I'm actually relistening to DVD2 of "War Child" right now with all of the extra tracks from the band & orchestral sessions mixed in surround, and I'm still absolutely floored how many great gems are on this disc. :)

Of course my good friend Dennis would say that these releases represent the best value as he's not an XTC fan… ;)

My good friend, you'll never know how lucky you were to get me to try that stuff(XTC). Because of you and Good Sir Colsky, from across the pond, I played that entire Drums & Wires I think it was. The guitar had a fabulous fat swishing tone that I loved, but every song had a deafeningly loud snare beat in 4/4 torturing my brain, yet I endured trying to find the magic that you & Colsky seem to derive from it.

In the end, all I got was a head-ache.

Are you going to buy the Tony Banks 5.1 upcoming set?

Are you going to buy the Tony Banks 5.1 upcoming set?

Yes, absolutely!
The more I have listened to Tony Banks' catalogue, the more I have appreciated how good a lot of his music was away from Genesis, not to mention that I missed "A Curious Feeling" in surround the first time it was released, so I'm definitely looking forward to those releases!
PS Sorry "Drums & Wires" gave you a headache, but I personally think you might enjoy "Nonsuch" or "Oranges & Lemons" a lot more, so don't give up on XTC just yet! :)

Yes, absolutely!
The more I have listened to Tony Banks' catalogue, the more I have appreciated how good a lot of his music was away from Genesis, not to mention that I missed "A Curious Feeling" in surround the first time it was released, so I'm definitely looking forward to those releases!
PS Sorry "Drums & Wires" gave you a headache, but I personally think you might enjoy "Nonsuch" or "Oranges & Lemons" a lot more, so don't give up on XTC just yet! :)

Truth is, I could enjoy any music as long as the snare is not beat to death or mixed triple the volume of the other instruments, but alas, almost all rock since the Punk movement is produced as such.

For my lighter side I dig, The Guess Who, Three Dog Night and of course Sir Elton John.

About Tony banks: I've always been a fanatic of his brilliance in Genesis. Mad Mad Moon is an example of his genius. His solo stuff is very light & poppy though... He really changed course from his heyday with Genesis.

I CAN"T WAIT for the two Steve Hacket 5.1 remixes. I've had those albums since they came out.

For my lighter side I dig, The Guess Who, Three Dog Night and of course Sir Elton John.

About Tony banks: I've always been a fanatic of his brilliance in Genesis. Mad Mad Moon is an example of his genius. His solo stuff is very light & poppy though... He really changed course from his heyday with Genesis.

I CAN"T WAIT for the two Steve Hacket 5.1 remixes. I've had those albums since they came out.

Well in that case, I hope you've bought and are enjoying the Best of the Guess Who Quad SACD.
Plus, yes, I do hope the two Steve Hackett remixes will be phenomenal indeed.
And I hope I can say the same for "Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll…" when it's officially released. It's never been one of my favorite Tull albums at all, so it will need to do quite a lot to top the last few reissues which have all been amazing. :)

View attachment 20836

Great pic!
Are you telling me you didn't get Aqualung Bro?

View attachment 20836

p.s. I'm NOT going to ask about your avatar. :)

Great pic!
Are you telling me you didn't get Aqualung Bro?

PK my good man!

How hangs the hammer?

No Aqualung laddie. That one represents no value whatsoever. What a rip-off. I'll wait until
it comes out with a non rape-me price tag, thank you.

If I told you who the girl in my avatar was you wouldn't believe me. But I did take the picture and it is my
Tales shirt...

PK my good man!

How hangs the hammer?

No Aqualung laddie. That one represents no value whatsoever. What a rip-off. I'll wait until
it comes out with a non rape-me price tag, thank you.

If I told you who the girl in my avatar was you wouldn't believe me. But I did take the picture and it is my
Tales shirt...

...yup way mucho dinero but the box looks so good...sitting on my shelf...and...WTF...it's falling apart at a corner...say it isn't so :yikes

p.s. please stop talking about your avatar :)

http://vintagerock.com/index.php?op...d=3:interviews&Itemid=4#.Vd4E22Qpim0.facebook
http://jethrotull.proboards.com/post/59435/thread
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...o-die-deluxe-2016.434431/page-8#post-12896930
When I interviewed you back in 2002, we talked a little about surround sound. It was kind of a novel thing then. You told me you weren’t a big fan of it but, of course, since then Steven Wilson has done surround sound mixes of I believe five Tull albums and your last two solo albums. Would it be fair to say that you’ve kind of come around to surround sound? Is it something you listen to, that you find yourself enjoying?

I accept it as part of the choice that we should give to our listeners, to our fans, who we provide choice to. We give them the opportunity to download MP3 tracks as individual tracks, a whole album; 24-bit albums in digital download form. We give them CDs, DVDS. We give them stereo. We give them surround sound. In some cases, when I worked in a precursor to today’s surround sound back in the 70s, in quadraphonic, we even gave them quadraphonic mixes. In fact, some of the work that’s currently going on in terms of remastering the box sets, we’ll feature songs … the early quadraphonic work I did around the time, it’s from the Gallery and Too Old to Rock ’n’ Roll and some of the Warchild album. In fact, I think the albums that I did — I think I went back and remixed. It wasn’t something that particularly intrigued me then, other than it was a new technology, but it was a very flawed technology. At least back then, the digital encoding of the way it channels information was really poor and it sounded terrible. But the mixes on tape, on the other hand, sounded fine. It was amusing to do, but it wasn’t something that I felt I wanted to continue with because the technology wasn’t there yet.

Well, ladies and gents, the deluge continues!

After the recent announcement of "Damnation", now I just found out from an amazon.de listing that "Too Old to Rock and Roll, Too Young to Die!" will be released in the 2CD/2DVD deluxe edition format at the end of November!

Time to smash open my piggy bank once and for all! :banana:

Back