Jethro Tull 5.1 (“Bursting Out” box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in June 2024!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, fair enough. I just figured releasing it on Stand Up would be a viable option otherwise there's still Living in the Past if they do go ahead with that one.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Yeah, fair enough. I just figured releasing it on Stand Up would be a viable option otherwise there's still Living in the Past if they do go ahead with that one.

Check out this thread here: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?20936-Curious-About-Stand-Up-Jethro-Tull
In it I explain why a remixed and expanded edition of "Living in the Past" is not only unlikely but why it would also be unnecessary given the inclusion of extra tracks on these other deluxe editions.

Who is with me in hoping/predicting that the "Songs from the Wood" deluxe edition (probably out late next year) will include a bonus CD and DVD of the Golders Green Hippodrome performance from February 1977...

Count me in Laddie! :smokin

By the time '77 rolled around, Tull had a very nice little setlist indeed! Plus the recording tech did get better by that time. I hope you are right! (y)

And 1977 was the best year the Earth ever saw(I saw my first concerts, ever, that summer in NYC: YES & ELP w/orchestra) :music

The only problem with that Hippodrome show was Ian Anderson had a bad cold so his voice was pretty rough.[maybe there's a show from that tour where he was in better voice]

The only problem with that Hippodrome show was Ian Anderson had a bad cold so his voice was pretty rough.[maybe there's a show from that tour where he was in better voice]

AFAIK, I don't think any other shows were professionally recorded in 1977 besides that one, so that would be the one to include on a "Songs from the Wood" deluxe edition, should they choose to do so.

I've definitely been in a Jethro Tull mood lately due to the stellar reissue of "Too Old to Rock n Roll", with the TV recording making those songs sound better than they ever have before, but I had an interesting thought yesterday afternoon while on my commute to work listening to "Songs from the Wood" (the album):

How cool would it be if Jethro Tull not only released the 40th anniversary remix of that album in time for the holidays next year (2016) but also released a remixed single of "Ring Out, Solstice Bells" in advance of the remixed album's reissue as a holiday single. I would even take it a step further and say how cool it would be if it would be a 5.1 single, similar to the "What God Wants, Pt 1" Blu-Ray single released this year (although if that did happen it would probably be a DVD-V single as I have given up all hope of more Blu-Ray releases from Jethro Tull after "Aqualung" in 2011)

There was a limited "Living in the Past" EP release for Record Store Day in 2013, so maybe a similar strategy could work for this scenario, "Ring Out, Solstice Bells" on Side 1 and "The Whistler" on Side 2, both remixed and released as a limited edition single for brick-and-mortar record shops.

Anyway, this is all just wishful thinking on my part as it's still a long ways away, but in the meantime, keep on grooving to "Too Old to Rock n Roll…" :)

Am I correct that the only way to get Aqualung in surround is the mega-ultra-bitchin-deluxe version? Or is there a version for the other 98%?

The mega-ultra-bitchin-deluxe version, as you call it, is the only version (at this point) that has the 5.1 mix included. All other recent releases of the album are stereo-only.

The mega-ultra-bitchin-deluxe version, as you call it, is the only version (at this point) that has the 5.1 mix included. All other recent releases of the album are stereo-only.

Well, that's lame. Fortunately, it's not a pivotal album for me and I was able to get in on the ground floor like, 5 other JT albums. Maybe someday they'll do a stand-alone BD, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
What is the talk about a Quad mix too? Is that also on the ultra-bitchin DVD?

Well, that's lame. Fortunately, it's not a pivotal album for me and I was able to get in on the ground floor like, 5 other JT albums. Maybe someday they'll do a stand-alone BD, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
What is the talk about a Quad mix too? Is that also on the ultra-bitchin DVD?

Yes, indeed. The ultra-bitchin set has the album 5.1 mix, 4 additional tracks also in 5.1, new stereo mix, additional stereo tracks, the Quad mix, and a flat transfer of the original stereo mix (though the latter is a Blu-Ray exclusive while all other content is on both the DVD & Blu-Ray disc in the set)
Hope that helps! :)

Yes, that is indeed unfortunate. The other versions may have less content, and not bluray, but atleast they are somewhat affordable if you're, like me, interested in the new stereo- and 5.1-mix only, seeing as I already have several different pressings already.

Possible 45th Anniversary Hardbook set for next year (wishful thinking lol)?!

As long as it does not bump back the supposed reissues of "Stand Up" and "Songs from the Wood", then it's A-OK by me. :)

Found this just now on SHTV posted by JohnN (tootull) which he found on anewdaymag.co.uk:

Steven Wilson is an extraordinarily busy man. Lord knows how he ever finds time to
sleep, let alone watch football. Fortunately he remains committed to the Jethro Tull
reissues programme - including retracing steps back to 1969 to rectify a glaring
omission.

Yes folks, a remixed Stand Up is planned for mid-2016, with Warners
currently combing the archives for any hitherto hidden unreleased gems. The
reissues schedule will be back on track with a Steven Wilson mix of Songs From The
Wood (plus extras) currently envisaged for around November 2016. And for those of
you who can't wait that long, there are plans afoot - still to be 100% confirmed - to
rerelease Aqualung in March/April 2016. 'Wot - again??' I hear you say. Yes, but this
time it will be (a) at a price that even non-Premiership footballers can afford, (b) will
be repackaged into the now customary 'book' form, and (c) might even
have some extra goodies certainly some Steven Wilson 5.1
mixes of the previous package's bonus tracks. Watch this space.

One track that won't be included, however, is Pancake Doomsday,
which Steven Wilson revealed had been found back in 2011.
Wilson did try to make a silk purse out of it, but lan Anderson
has stood firm in vetoing it. However, this is no great cause
for wailing and gnashing of teeth, as it's actually merely an early
attempt at a pretty basic backing track for what eventually
became Saturation, released on the 1988 20 Years Of box set. So actually, we
do all in effect have Pancake Doomsday, aka Saturation, and only those
with a compulsion to collect every cough,splutter and bottom burp by lan Anderson
need fret.

:banana:

Back