Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick (50th Anniversary Edition) CD/DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
The latest reissue did not get much mention around here that I can find. Sets of the older release(s) were changing hands for $90 to $120.
So the 50th release was a very welcome thing for the Tull and surround fans I'd of expected.

I helped with and pushed for (with others) the updated stereo (2015 non Mew mastering) on DVD. The only difference.
Packaging exactly the same as well? I take it you would say so if you knew of any difference there (labels, notes, newspaper pages, etc.)

Packaging exactly the same as well? I take it you would say so if you knew of any difference there (labels, notes, newspaper pages, etc.)
Yeah, I'm responsible for a glitch free surround Tull. I wanted the non Mew stereo mix and voiced my concern when it seemed Warner was going with the Mew stereo. (They were.) Packaging now contains 2015 for the non Mew stereo and 2022 for this release with 2012 remaining for the fixed non Mew 5.1.

Yeah, I'm responsible for a glitch free surround Tull. I wanted the non Mew stereo mix and voiced my concern when it seemed Warner was going with the Mew stereo. (They were.) Packaging now contains 2015 for the non Mew stereo and 2022 for this release with 2012 remaining for the fixed non Mew 5.1.
Yes, I'm glad for your involvement on the mastering's fixed glitches.
But if you don't know the answer to my question, then please state as much.

Yes, I'm glad for your involvement on the mastering's fixed glitches.
But if you don't know the answer to my question, then please state as much.
Don't beat me. Lower back cover: Book-set printing now contains 2015 for the non Mew stereo and 2022 for this release with 2012 remaining for the fixed non Mew 5.1.

Don't beat me. Lower back cover: Book-set printing now contains 2015 for the non Mew stereo and 2022 for this release with 2012 remaining for the fixed non Mew 5.1.
Nobody is beating you just took a few tires getting a question answered.

I was blissfully unaware of this. Turns out I have the Mew mastered disc (2012).

What's the defect and is it worth upgrading whilst I have the chance?

I was blissfully unaware of this. Turns out I have the Mew mastered disc (2012).

What's the defect and is it worth upgrading whilst I have the chance?
I think it is worth it.

Forgive my repeating: :D
DVD/DTS Poll - Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick (Defective Original Disc) [DTS/DD DVD]
Nov 23, 2012
Have just approved the new replacement DVD and it sounds wonderful now! At least to me it does, if you still think the 5.1 sucks then only me left to blame, flat transfer / no glitches (-:
-Steven Wilson

Initially people complained about the distortion in the first 5.1. They went back to Steven Wilson's work before Peter Mew's mastering and the distortion was not there. So it was replaced. The stereo was replaced in 2022 to match the non Mew mastering of the 5.1. Basically the stereo is now less bright.

The earlier replacement DVD had the fixed 5.1 only. The 2022 has the stereo fixed too.

Cheers!

I appreciate the explanation. I had been a little confused on this. Went ahead and ordered the 2022 to replace my 2012. I just needed know how I could be sure I was getting the right one.

It is confusing that a 50th Anniversary edition would be just the same 40th Anniversary package with some corrected mastering. CD and LP labels do not say 50th, they don't even say 40th. So continued questions asked about the package details is not a bad thing with this item.

I appreciate the explanation. I had been a little confused on this. Went ahead and ordered the 2022 to replace my 2012. I just needed know how I could be sure I was getting the right one.
I was told my name would not be on Aqualung Adapted or TaaB because they were going with the text of previous versions. Only copyright dates are changed to my knowledge.

It is confusing that a 50th Anniversary edition would be just the same 40th Anniversary package with some corrected mastering. CD and LP labels do not say 50th, they don't even say 40th. So continued questions asked about the package details is not a bad thing with this item.
Just noting that during the project TaaB was always referred to as the revised version never 50th.

From mail:
One other thing is the revised Thick As A Brick which will have Steven’s original mixes in stereo (as per 2015 single CD) and on DVD the 96/24 stereo and DTS & DD 5.1 again without the Pete Mew mastering (and dropouts) -per Warner

Back