John Mayall Dead at 90

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up with the classic Mayall tune, "Room to Move", that was my real only understanding of John Mayall in my earlier years. Always aware of his presence and contributions I only very recently discovered his massive catalogue. This is a very rare artist where I find it very hard to find ANY album to be less than good. Loads of superstars in his bands the highlights to me are the albums with Mick Taylor. This death is very personal as I discovered him way too late and was never blessed with hearing him live. Trust me people, guaranteed to enjoy great blues / rock on any of his many, many albums. We keep losing many music heroes, but this one hit ME hard. RIP

RIP to a man who deserved a 90th birthday tribute at Hollywood Bowl as much as Willie Nelson.

Room To Move from The Turning Point was also my entry point, listening to Clyde Clifford's Beaker Street on late night 50,000 watt AM blowtorch KAAY, Little Rock, The Mighty 1090, in 1969.

That album was recorded live at the Fillmore East by Hendrix engineer Eddie Kramer.
Blew my mind, a fan of Cream & Hendrix, how hard he could rock with an acoustic guitarist & no drummer.

Mayall also designed his own album covers.

1721787777007.png

Early advocate of cannabis legalization by peacefully changing the laws, he lived to see that dream fulfilled after 55 years in 38 states.

The Laws Must Change, Side A, Track 1

The time must surely come
For the laws to fit the times
But while the law is standing
You've got to open up your minds

It seems to be the fashion
To say you're right and they are wrong
But if you don't see both sides
You'll find yourself in jail 'fore long

You're screaming at policemen
But they're only doing a gig
Try and take the time
To figure out how the issue got that big

Lenny Bruce was trying to tell you
Many things before he died
Like don't throw rocks at policemen
But get the knots of law untied

Every time you're holding
You are guilty of a crime
The laws must change one day
But it's going to take some time

1721788251663.png

I always meant to buy more John Mayall.
That big box set from a few years ago tempted me.
All I have is John Mayall and Friends Along For the Ride SACD and the Bluesbreakers Gold disc, both on Audio Fidelity.
I’ll pay tribute to him by listening to what I have and searching out more

I first heard John Mayall in 1970 on a short lived TV show hosted by comedian David Steinberg called “The Music Scene” - a weekly prime time show on ABC featuring current hitmakers of the day. Mayall and band (who were to become the Mark Almond band), performed “The Laws Must Change” from the Turning Point album - I’ve worn out several copies of this album. RIP

Here’s the song from the way back machine

What a loss! Saw him and talked with him and band members several times. This is him and me at Tangier’s in Akron, Ohio about 20 years ago. He was the best IMO. First saw him in ‘69; last time in 2019. Every show was excellent. Heard him play every one of his tunes that I had hoped to hear. No two shows we’re alike.
Rest in peace and thank you for all the wonderful memories of the past and for all the music that we can still enjoy in the future. 😥

Attachments

• IMG_3711.jpeg
    IMG_3711.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
What a loss! Saw him and talked with him and band members several times. This is him and me at Tangier’s in Akron, Ohio about 20 years ago. He was the best IMO. First saw him in ‘69; last time in 2019. Every show was excellent. Heard him play every one of his tunes that I had hoped to hear. No two shows we’re alike.
Rest in peace and thank you for all the wonderful memories of the past and for all the music that we can still enjoy in the future. 😥
I'm assuming that's you on the left, correct? Just thought I'd better check, as you say 'him and me'.
Thanks for sharing, though.

Back