Joni Mitchell - Asylum Albums 1972-1975 streaming in Atmos!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG! Jumping around the Joni set now. FANTASTIC!!! Downmixes to 5.1 beautifully. Very discrete. The live album is discrete too. Wish I could stay up all night and listen, but alas the alarm clock goes off at 5 AM. 😥

Just going by the handful of songs I have listened to so far, this is one of the top releases of 2022. Can't wait until I can give the whole thing the attention it deserves.

Blu-ray please!

(I figured this was worthy of its own thread)

Wow! Been looking forward to these for awhile and I am not disappointed. These mixes really utilize the whole space, including the heights. "Free Man In Paris" has the electric guitars predominantly in the sides and the whistle-like sound only in the rear heights. Even the sparser songs from For The Roses sound massive, the twin guitars in "Cold Blue Steel" are hovering somewhere between ear level and the heights on each side. Can't wait to dig in further...

(I figured this was worthy of its own thread)

Wow! Been looking forward to these for awhile and I am not disappointed. These mixes really utilize the whole space, including the heights. "Free Man In Paris" has the electric guitars predominantly in the sides and the whistle-like sound only in the rear heights. Even the sparser songs from For The Roses sound massive, the twin guitars in "Cold Blue Steel" are hovering somewhere between ear level and the heights on each side. Can't wait to dig in further...
Yeah, Cold Blue Steel is definitely a highlight. Working my way through Court and Spark now. Awesome stuff.

OK, so is this on apple only? will apple play 5.1 through a Amazon fire stick?
I would love to hear this in the car, but my guess is no download capability or ability to convert to disc.

C'mom can't they sell us a blu ray box set!!!
@HomerJAU reported earlier today that these albums had shown up in Atmos on Tidal in Australia; that was our first hint that they were coming. You can't get Apple Music on a Fire Stick, but you can get Tidal. As @bookofsaturdays mentioned: there's been speculation--maybe even hints?--that these mixes will be included on a Blu-Ray as part of the next "Archives" box set, due out early next year.

As @bookofsaturdays mentioned: there's been speculation--maybe even hints?--that these mixes will be included on a Blu-Ray as part of the next "Archives" box set, due out early next year.
There have definitely been hints from an insider over at SHF that an upcoming box will include the quads. I wonder if we'll end up in a situation similar to the recent Elton John Madman Across The Water box set, where the included blu-ray uses an old surround mix and omits the Atmos.

There have definitely been hints from an insider over at SHF that an upcoming box will include the quads. I wonder if we'll end up in a situation similar to the recent Elton John Madman Across The Water box set, where the included blu-ray uses an old surround mix and omits the Atmos.
Hopefully both? Or maybe a standalone Blu-Ray, since the Atmos mixes aren't "archival"?

decided to play Court & Spark from the Asylum years on my fire stick, running at 24/192 and up to Trouble Child, it does sound REALLY good. I will check out For the Roses next, sometime later this weekend

I listened to Hissing in its entirety today. There are so many interesting, playful touches in these mixes! Like when Joni's voice switches to the heights at key moments in the title track or the vocals hopping channels towards the end of "Harry's House/Centerpiece". Brass parts often appear in the back corners, mixed partially to the heights. The a capella voices filling the whole space in "Shadows and Light" sound amazing.

Back