HiRez Poll King Crimson - LARKS' TONGUES IN ASPIC (50TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION) [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of King Crimson - LARKS' TONGUES IN ASPIC (50TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Thanks. But I don't want to change my vote. I want to unvote.
Clicking 'Change Vote' simply removes your vote.

Edit: I thought it did, but I just tried it and my vote remains the same. Tried unclicking the check mark and it wouldn't let me. Oh well, at least you gave it a 10, which it deserves.

Last edited:
This might be the finest Atmos mix of a classic album I have yet heard. Stunning. Every element can be heard clearly and distinctly, and for the first time I have been able to truly appreciate the contributions of short-tenured percussionist Jamie Muir, who Wilson creatively assigns to the height and rear speakers at various times. Fripp’s guitar work (both the heavy parts and the delicate) are heard with more clarity than ever, and David Cross shines as well. The mix reveals musical details I never knew were there. Atmos mixes can sometimes sound soupy compared to 5.1 because sounds are assigned to areas rather than channels, but the Wilson Atmos mix sounds like every sound is discreetly and carefully placed exactly where it needs to be. The jam section in the middle of Easy Money has all these cool nuggets floating around the room. And that loud tone at the end of Talking Drum blasting from the height speakers is scary in all the best ways.

Larks Tongues in Aspic is a triumph of the prog rock genre. It mixes aggressive experimental instrumental pieces with poignant ballads, while also keeping a logical and cohesive flow. And it stands apart as the album that most convincingly incorporated elements of 20th century classical music into rock. My first exposure to this album was the 30th anniversary remaster CD of the original 1973 mix. It took me a little bit to fully become a fan of the CD, but even as the music grew on me I continued to think that the album was not as well-produced as it could have been. But the Wilson mix has completely vanquished any concerns I had about the fidelity of this recording. A must-have.

Back