Lamb Lies Down on Broadway Box Set?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, there's a sixteen-page (and counting) thread on the Hoffman forums--with no good information.

According to the very first post in that thread, though, the March issue of Mojo had a piece on Lamb (not sure what the occasion was?) with this:

“...and summer 2020 will see the release of a new, rebooted, bells-and-whistles edition.”

That same snippet is also cited on genesis-news.com, which adds that "[m]ore information is not available and no official announcement by the band has been made yet."

So there you go.

On the bright side: my Google search did turn up this 2014 tribute by Jon Michaud at The New Yorker.com, "The Ulysses of Concept Albums," which I'd somehow missed when it was published.

The biggest disappointment to me, when I bought the boxset, was that it was not only super compressed but even remixed on the stereo version changing many things and changing even the original takes sometimes. I listen to their surround version because I love the presentation but soundwise it’s too compressed. I really hope it gets a better treatment if is in Blu-ray

Genesis (Tony, Mike, and Phil) are supposedly reforming for a tour starting later this year.
The announcement is supposed to happen on Zoe Ball's Breakfast Show on BBC Radio tomorrow morning!

:)

The dates have been announced. A short run of shows, only UK and Ireland. Hopefully American dates will follow next year.

November 16th – Dublin @ 3 Arena
November 19th – Belfast @ SSE Arena
November 23rd – Liverpool @ M&S Bank Arena
November 26th – Leeds @ First Direct Arena
November 29th – London @ The O2
November 30th – London @ The O2
December 2nd – Manchester @ Manchester Arena
December 5th – Birmingham @ Birmingham Arena
December 8th – Glasgow @ SSE Hydro Arena
December 11th – Newcastle @Utilita Arena

According to the very first post in that thread, though, the March issue of Mojo had a piece on Lamb (not sure what the occasion was?) with this:

“...and summer 2020 will see the release of a new, rebooted, bells-and-whistles edition.”

That same snippet is also cited on genesis-news.com, which adds that "[m]ore information is not available and no official announcement by the band has been made yet."

So there you go.

On the bright side: my Google search did turn up this 2014 tribute by Jon Michaud at The New Yorker.com, "The Ulysses of Concept Albums," which I'd somehow missed when it was published.

If they give The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway the 'Steven Wilson Treatment' (5.1 remix, Blu-ray audio, 96/24 sound, instrumental mixes, unreleased tracks & flat-transfers of everything on CD), I'll pick it up again!

Is it a fools errand to hope Peter Gabriel joins?
Yeah, the one time they tried that (after the original Gabriel period) was an epic disaster!
Cold and rainy and outdoors. Steve Hackett arrived late - literally for only the last 3 songs. Their tour guy during that time, Daryl Stuermer, had to cover all the old songs at the last minute. It went about as well as you'd expect. There are bootlegs of the event if you want to torture yourself.

When SEBTP was re-issued on bluray, it was not only the same Tony Banks revisionist mix (ie mixing Steve Hackett out of the album) but the very same treble hyped mastering as the SACD or DVDV edition.
I did my own revisionist history remaster to all these (treble hype free & guitar friendly editions). This one was more of a challenge than the other studio albums to pull the guitar back into the mix. At the same time, the mix work is over the top excellent and there are elements revealed in wonderful ways. Even some guitar bits it turns out! Rutherford got poor treatment throughout this mix too this time around. My favorite track from the album "Cage" is flat out ruined in the new mix with that bass line buried now.

Get it anyway if you're a fan. There's stuff to hear here!
I'd be curious what bonus music they might include. Don't hold your breath for a proper mastering though. And especially don't expect a new mix that honors the original lineup with Steve Hackett properly in the mix. Pretty sure that ship has sailed.

Yeah, I'd love to hear Genesis get the Steve Wilson treatment! Pink Floyd too. Yeah...

If they give The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway the 'Steven Wilson Treatment' (5.1 remix, Blu-ray audio, 96/24 sound, instrumental mixes, unreleased tracks & flat-transfers of everything on CD), I'll pick it up again!

That will never happen.
Steven Wilson is not a Genesis fan, and Genesis are not going to pay someone to remix their entire catalogue again when all we really need are the unmastered mixes, just like Nick Davis mixed them originally.

If only... I’d sell a kidney to get a proper discrete mix of Seconds Out as well. I have all the SACD box sets but I’m in the populist opinion that they could sound a lot better. I’m not sure what they were thinking here.

That will never happen.
Steven Wilson is not a Genesis fan, and Genesis are not going to pay someone to remix their entire catalogue again when all we really need are the unmastered mixes, just like Nick Davis mixed them originally.

If that's the case, I'm not interested in any more reissues of the Genesis catalog (and I doubt that the band would do reissues with flat transfers of the Nick Davis mixes from 2007-2008).

I wouldn't mind getting "Lamb. ..." on bluray.

My boxset only had the dvd/cd's as I could not tolerate the treatment (continuous lies )Amazon gave me when I originally ordered the full set with sacd/dvd.
Oh well , it was 200 clams cheaper .....and I did purchase the other four albums in sacd later on.
So yes Lamb would be nice in bluray. :)

Back