Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great review as usual except for one thing, you didn't mention that the DVD is not viewable in the US and Europe, as we are locked out because it is coded to the Asian region, unless you have an illegally hacked player.
You can legally rip the DVD for your own use using software such as DVDFAB and then playback the resulting .iso file using a variety of software. Additionally, some players (e.g., certain OPPO models) can playback .iso files.

FWIW, with respect to everything I could have covered in the Piano Man review, I had just donated 3x platelets, plus plasma the day before and struggled to think. 45 minutes of mainly useless footage edited down to 15 or so?
I’m happy the unboxing/eview turned out as well as it did.
IMG_6484.jpeg

FWIW, with respect to everything I could have covered in the Piano Man review, I had just donated 3x platelets, plus plasma the day before and struggled to think. 45 minutes of mainly useless footage edited down to 15 or so?
View attachment 108533
Thank You For Your Service (and your Donation of Plasma & Platelets). I enjoyed your feature on the Japanese Import of Billy Joel's Piano Man (although I'm not buying that set).

Last edited:
View attachment 108533
And you get to be a mermaid for the day, Mike 😁

The article in IAA about the new Avalon Atmos mix clearly states that so far it's limited to streaming services, with no mention of even the possibility of a physical release. Hopefully that changes - but if it does, I fear there's a good chance that it will be locked in another bloated box set. Maybe IAA will eventually offer a download.

As to streaming Atmos being lossy, that's true but in my own AB comparisons between streaming titles and BD's or digital downloads I own, in my system (7.4.4 with multiple subwoofers) streaming sounds a bit veiled with less definition, but I haven't noticed a significant deficit in the low end. Since everyone's system is so different it's really hard to quantify. Bottom line, when I listen to streaming Atmos titles I usually notice an immediate improvement over stereo, and I'm not constantly thinking about how much better a physical copy would sound, even though that would be my preference if I had an unlimited bank account. But everyone's mileage may vary. ;)

Back