Listening Now To This Stereo Blu Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_1212.jpeg

Hot Tuna - Burgers

The first track sounds rough but everything after that is good. Music is what I expected, no problems there. Folky, bluesy, early 70’s San Fran rock, nice.
You really have to crank the stereo 24/192 before it starts to breath, which is great news IMO, nice dynamic range.

IMG_1222.jpeg

Wham! - Make It Big

There is some great pop music here. The recording quality is variable, some tracks are full and spacious, others (Freedom is the worst example) is thin and bass less, sounds like AM radio. Tons of bonus tracks though they are a bit repetitive.

IMG_1234.jpeg

Joni Mitchell - The Asylum Albums (1972-1975)

Played in stereo (quad later) so placed in this thread. As a Canadian I revere Joni but must admit her music and phrasing demands focus to listen to.
For the Roses is overall a tough listen with her higher singing pitch and mainly slow songs.
Court and Spark is a great album.
Miles of Aisles is an excellent live album (but not enough L.A. Express!)
Hissing Of Summer Lawns has always been a favourite.
The sound is fine I guess but a bit disappointing, I think the DCC of Court is better and there is a layer of haze and slight grit here, on the first two albums especially. But these are 50+ year old recordings, maybe my unreasonable expectations.

Last edited:
View attachment 107898
Roberta Flack - Killing Me Softly

Very nice recording in 24/192 stereo. A couple of slower ballads drag things down a bit but the upbeat tracks and killer (no pun intended) title song save the day. The closer, Lou Reed’s Suzanne, is epic. This might be my new favourite Quadio release.
BTW, Mr Rang, your fellow countryman Leonard Cohen wrote Suzanne and yes it's an incredible album and was on my want list for decades. Never would I have imagined it would sound this fabulous!

BTW, Mr Rang, your fellow countryman Leonard Cohen wrote Suzanne and yes it's an incredible album and was on my want list for decades. Never would I have imagined it would sound this fabulous!
Thanks for the correction :)
An egregious error on my part.
For some reason my mind went to I Love You Suzanne by Lou Reed, which doesn’t even remotely resemble Cohen’s song

IMG_1263.jpeg

Ian Thomas - How We Roll

Another great full of excellent tunes and thought provoking lyrics. The album is short at 32:46 but that’s fine by me.
I find the 24/48 sound in stereo a little bit on the dull and veiled side, which is unusual for an Ian Thomas album. Nothing major, didn’t hinder my enjoyment but noticeable nonetheless.

IMG_1297.jpeg

Seals and Crofts - Summer Breeze

I’ve bought all five Quadio bundles. Haven’t played the latest batch yet but of the first 16 I have to say this one is the least interesting musically and the sound is mediocre in stereo (haven’t played in quad) no life or bottom end. Won’t say I regret buying it but pretty sure this will be filed as a one and done.
Having said that; you win some, you lose some. Plenty of wins with Quadio so far

Last edited:
Back