Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Merry Christmas to all my cherished Quadraphonic Quad colleagues.

Been listening to an hour of the Christmas spatial audio list and here is my curated ranking:

1.https://music.apple.com/au/album/its-christmas-time/1593441867?i=1593441868

2.https://music.apple.com/au/album/all-i-want-for-christmas-is-you/585972750?i=585972803

(yeah I know its been done to death, but a great mix- album wide)

(Great dynamics)

4.https://music.apple.com/au/album/mary-did-you-know/1049042966?i=104904330

(Surprisingly immersive for a vintage recording)

7.https://music.apple.com/au/album/jingle-bell-rock/1358462130?i=1358462132

(the most immersive Dolly track I have heard)

10.https://music.apple.com/au/album/last-christmas/1440829786?i=1440829797

(In lieu of the original missing from the playlist- but a nice update )

11. A Holly Jolly Christmas (Single Version) by Burl Ives

(Pretty good for lucky last)

God bless to you and family/friends!!

I just received this. It is in perfect condition! Connected it to my Harmony hub Companion remote. Listening to the rock Atmos playlist. I still have Tidal but some albums don't get added to both services, so this will come in handy. Well worth $35. Free four month subscription on Best Buy.
That sounds like an ideal way and price point to buy in, I think I'll follow suit.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear you were able to connect a free four month subscription from Best Buy, thanks for that tip.

The last time I tried to do that the (Best Buy purchased) Apple Music subscription (6 months at the time) ran out way ahead of schedule and I had to spend a good bit of time back and forth with Apple support to get them to acknowledge and then fix it by finally issuing a new Apple Music redemption coupon to extend the length of the service. Apple support said they knew nothing about the Best Buy offers. Hopefully you'll have better luck.

Also I bet that since I've done this once (purchased a trial to Apple Music at Best Buy) I won't be able to do it again, at least using the same Apple ID etc.

That sounds like an ideal way and price point to buy in, I think I'll follow suit.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear you were able to connect a free four month subscription from Best Buy, thanks for that tip.

The last time I tried to do that the (Best Buy purchased) Apple Music subscription (6 months at the time) ran out way ahead of schedule and I had to spend a good bit of time back and forth with Apple support to get them to acknowledge and then fix it by finally issuing a new Apple Music redemption coupon to extend the length of the service. Apple support said they knew nothing about the Best Buy offers. Hopefully you'll have better luck.

Also I bet that since I've done this once (purchased a trial to Apple Music at Best Buy) I won't be able to do it again, at least using the same Apple ID etc.
I always use a Privacy.com temporary CC, just in case they try to mess with me. I would use a different email address and CC, just in case they won't give you the deal because you had a previous 6 month deal, although $11 a month is cheap for all that music.

I always use a Privacy.com temporary CC, just in case they try to mess with me. I would use a different email address and CC, just in case they won't give you the deal because you had a previous 6 month deal, although $11 a month is cheap for all that music.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm a cheap bastard :)

also, as much as i initially disliked the cosmetic/front-end changes of Apple Music with the latest OS update on the Apple TV, they are growing on me.. maybe.. but more importantly it seems the issue of the beginning of tracks getting chopped off has at last been resolved!🤞
Not for me... Still an issue. The first track always gets cut off and then sometimes it will cut off in the middle as well. For instance the intro to Lucille by Tom Petty will play and then the beginning of the song track get cut off. Same thing happens on a couple songs from the Dawn FM album by the Weeknd.

So every year I peruse a bunch of year-end "Best" lists published at places like NPR, PopMatters, Pitchfork, the New York Times, Stereogum, The New Yorker, The Guardian, Bandcamp, etc., etc., with the aim of finding potentially interesting stuff to check out--in all different genres. I probably pay the most attention to the lists and critics (and artists and genres) I already know/like/respect, but if I read a compelling nutshell description of/by someone I don't know--or if I see something showing up in multiple places--then I'll earmark it, even though I'm reflexively skeptical of critical groupthink. This year I wound up with 50+ items. (Maybe a dozen or so were actually already in my Apple Music library--how hip am I? I'm having a hard time overcoming my prejudice against a few artists that appear on multiple lists, though. Looking at you, Bad Bunny and Harry Styles.)

Here's the cool part: around half of that half-hundred have Atmos mixes, or at least nominal Atmos mixes. Some titles are almost inevitable (I lost track of how many lists had Bey's RENAISSANCE at the top), many less so. I'm sure that if we took a poll at QQ, we'd get consensus on 50 more great new albums with Atmos mixes from 2022 that flew beneath the critics' radar. Anyway: for anybody who's interested, here's what I wound up with. (Sorry--haven't taken the time to get links.) I'm looking forward to checking out the unfamiliar ones.

Angel Olsen, Big Time
Aoife O’Donovan, Age of Apathy
Bartees Strange, From Farm to Table
Beyonce, RENAISSANCE
Bjork, Fossora
Black Country, New Road, Ants from Up There
Caroline Shaw & Attaca Quartet, Evergreen
Cecile McLorin Salvant, Ghost Song
FKA Twigs, Caprisongs
Greentea Peng, GREENZONE 108
iLe, Nacarile
Kendrick Lamar, Mr Morale & the Big Steppers