Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick listening to The Police Greatest Hits in Dolby ATMOS on TIDAL.

Although somehow discrete, I'm not excited. Could it be the mix? Could it be the lossy Tidal?
I like better some older 5.1 editions, even I like more the sonics of some Stereo tracks upmixed with DSU.

My initial feeling is that the sound is a little weak and the front Sting vocals it is not so powerful as the originals.

Although somehow discrete, I'm not excited. Could it be the mix? Could it be the lossy Tidal?
I like better some older 5.1 editions, even I like more the sonics of some Stereo tracks upmixed with DSU.

My initial feeling is that the sound is a little weak and the front Sting vocals it is not so powerful as the originals.
Simply the mix. There are tons of excellent ones in the same format. From the sweet spot, controlling the balance of all the speaker levels, I think it sounds better than the SACD but only slightly, and the SACD is a very low bar. If you listen to only the rears for instance, they sound much more wonky than the good mixes do. If I am remembering correctly, this one is also short on bass in the rears, like Low Spark, but that mix is still much better despite the flaw.

definitely changed (downgraded! 😅 ) from Atmos to Lossless in my Library, so i've reluctantly bought the Box Set.

i say 'reluctantly' only because i've "no room at the Inn" for anymore Box Sets but if they've pulled the streaming then this is one i have to shoehorn in..!!
If I had downloaded the files to my 'Music' directory on my hard drive, would I be able to play the Atmos mix from the files? Or would Apple detect that they are no longer licensed and not play them?

I have done comparisons to the SACD, DTS, and Dolby Digital vsn of many of these Police tracks. I like some of different choices made in these new Atmos mixes but there’s no comparison to the fidelity of the SACD vsn. With the SACD mixes, you can tell they took a lot of care with the mastering to make all the tracks sound as good as they could and consistent despite differences in the quality of the source material. I feel like these Atmos mixes haven’t gotten nearly the same mastering attention. Songs like Can’t Stand Losing You almost sound like the tape azimuth was not aligned (cymbals sound dull and “gurgly” while vocals are nice and bright.) I heard this before with some Atmos mixes. It’s like more attention is given to the mix and less to the mastering of the mix.

In addition to the two Zappa albums, here is a list of other tracks that have reverted from Dolby Atmos back to Stereo on Apple Music in the last few weeks...

Code:
Name,Artist,Album
You're All I Need to Get By,Aretha Franklin,30 Greatest Hits
Just a Little,The Beau Brummels,Introducing the Beau Brummels
Ride Captain Ride (single/LP version),Blues Image,Open
Tones for Joan's Bones,Chick Corea,Tone's for Joan's Bones
Tutu,Miles Davis,Tutu
Slow Ride,Foghat,Fool for the City (remastered)
Every Natural Thing,Aretha Franklin,Soul Queen
"All Right Now (BBC ""John Peel Sunday Concert"" 2/7/1970)",Free,Fire and Water (deluxe edition)
"Mr. Big (BBC ""John Peel Sunday Concert"" 2/7/1970)",Free,Fire and Water (deluxe edition)
Little Wing,Gil Evans,Plays the Music of Jimi Hendrix
Angel (Alternate Take),The Gil Evans Orchestra,Plays the Music of Jimi Hendrix
Castles Made of Sand (Alternate Take),The Gil Evans Orchestra,Plays the Music of Jimi Hendrix
Up from the Skies (Alternate Take),The Gil Evans Orchestra,Plays the Music of Jimi Hendrix
Born to Run,Emmylou Harris,Cimarron
Taxi,Harry Chapin,Heads & Tales
That's the Way (I Like It),KC and the Sunshine Band,KC and the Sunshine Band
Through the Fire,Chaka Khan,I Feel for You
Go for Yourself,The Meters,Struttin'
Pass the Dutchie,Musical Youth,"Pass The Dutchie (12"" Version) - EP"
Once Bitten Twice Shy,Great White,Twice Shy
Celebration (Single Version),Kool & The Gang,80s Throwbacks
Higher Love (Single Version),Steve Winwood,80s Throwbacks
Let There Be Light,Mike Oldfield,The Songs of Distant Earth
Wildflowers,"Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt & Emmylou Harris",The Complete Trio Collection (Deluxe Edition)
I'll Play for You,Seals & Crofts,Seals & Crofts' Greatest Hits
Ruby Jean and Billie Lee,Seals & Crofts,Seals & Crofts' Greatest Hits
King of Nothing,Seals & Crofts,Seals & Crofts' Greatest Hits
Summer Breeze,Seals & Crofts,Seals & Crofts' Greatest Hits
We May Never Pass This Way (Again),Seals & Crofts,Seals & Crofts' Greatest Hits
You Keep Me Hangin' On,Vanilla Fudge,You Keep Me Hangin' On - Single
Love and Mercy (remastered),Brian Wilson,Brian Wilson
From a Buick Six,Johnny Winter,Still Alive and Well (Apple Music)

If I had downloaded the files to my 'Music' directory on my hard drive, would I be able to play the Atmos mix from the files? Or would Apple detect that they are no longer licensed and not play them?
No. You can download them but it much more complicated than that and involves using a Mac.

In addition to the two Zappa albums, here is a list of other tracks that have reverted from Dolby Atmos back to Stereo on Apple Music in the last few weeks...

Code:
Name,Artist,Album
You're All I Need to Get By,Aretha Franklin,30 Greatest Hits
Just a Little,The Beau Brummels,Introducing the Beau Brummels
Ride Captain Ride (single/LP version),Blues Image,Open
Tones for Joan's Bones,Chick Corea,Tone's for Joan's Bones
Tutu,Miles Davis,Tutu
Slow Ride,Foghat,Fool for the City (remastered)
Every Natural Thing,Aretha Franklin,Soul Queen
"All Right Now (BBC ""John Peel Sunday Concert"" 2/7/1970)",Free,Fire and Water (deluxe edition)
"Mr. Big (BBC ""John Peel Sunday Concert"" 2/7/1970)",Free,Fire and Water (deluxe edition)
Little Wing,Gil Evans,Plays the Music of Jimi Hendrix
Angel (Alternate Take),The Gil Evans Orchestra,Plays the Music of Jimi Hendrix
Castles Made of Sand (Alternate Take),The Gil Evans Orchestra,Plays the Music of Jimi Hendrix
Up from the Skies (Alternate Take),The Gil Evans Orchestra,Plays the Music of Jimi Hendrix
Born to Run,Emmylou Harris,Cimarron
Taxi,Harry Chapin,Heads & Tales
That's the Way (I Like It),KC and the Sunshine Band,KC and the Sunshine Band
Through the Fire,Chaka Khan,I Feel for You
Go for Yourself,The Meters,Struttin'
Pass the Dutchie,Musical Youth,"Pass The Dutchie (12"" Version) - EP"
Once Bitten Twice Shy,Great White,Twice Shy
Celebration (Single Version),Kool & The Gang,80s Throwbacks
Higher Love (Single Version),Steve Winwood,80s Throwbacks
Let There Be Light,Mike Oldfield,The Songs of Distant Earth
Wildflowers,"Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt & Emmylou Harris",The Complete Trio Collection (Deluxe Edition)
I'll Play for You,Seals & Crofts,Seals & Crofts' Greatest Hits
Ruby Jean and Billie Lee,Seals & Crofts,Seals & Crofts' Greatest Hits
King of Nothing,Seals & Crofts,Seals & Crofts' Greatest Hits
Summer Breeze,Seals & Crofts,Seals & Crofts' Greatest Hits
We May Never Pass This Way (Again),Seals & Crofts,Seals & Crofts' Greatest Hits
You Keep Me Hangin' On,Vanilla Fudge,You Keep Me Hangin' On - Single
Love and Mercy (remastered),Brian Wilson,Brian Wilson
From a Buick Six,Johnny Winter,Still Alive and Well (Apple Music)
fwiw, many, though not all, are Warner Fakes. so good riddance to them! ✌️

also, Johnny Winter's "From A Buick Six" would never have been in Dolby Audio/360RA since it wasn't mixed in Quad along with the rest of the album 🙂

also, Johnny Winter's "From A Buick Six" would never have been in Dolby Audio/360RA since it wasn't mixed in Quad along with the rest of the album 🙂
Ditto (sort of) for Gil Evans Plays Jimi Hendrix. That was one of the Sony 360 quads that showed up on Apple Music as "Dolby Audio." (Hope it's still there as such?)

Ditto (sort of) for Gil Evans Plays Jimi Hendrix. That was one of the Sony 360 quads that showed up on Apple Music as "Dolby Audio." (Hope it's still there as such?)
Is it a good mix?

Is it a good mix?
Ish. (Pretty conservative.) Sort of an interesting folly to hear once, but a misbegotten project overall. Some great players in that iteration of Evans's orchestra, though: John Abercrombie handling guitar duties, plus Billy Harper, Howard Johnson, and a few other big names.

Ish. (Pretty conservative.) Sort of an interesting folly to hear once, but a misbegotten project overall. Some great players in that iteration of Evans's orchestra, though: John Abercrombie handling guitar duties, plus Billy Harper, Howard Johnson, and a few other big names.
If you stumble across the Tidal link please post. I will see if I can find it if it's still there when I get a chance. I don't remember seeing it but it is something I could have glanced over.

That Steve Winwood track wasn't a fake, and its a real loss that its gone.

Back