Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so bummed out. Bought a Fire Stick just so I could listen to Atmos mixes from Tidal, but I don't have an Atmos AVR. I was hoping it would mix down to 5.1 as Atmos Blu Ray discs do, but it will only play in stereo. Well, at least I tried. :( 🥃🥃
Yes, this is a known 'feature'. Tidal app switch to the stereo version when it does not find an Atmos capable output.

In my summer house (only 5.1) I use a device (HDFury Vertex2) to show the full EDID to the Fire TV, and then it sends the DD+ Atmos version than can be played in 5.1 This is an expensive device (I use it for other purposes in my main house) but guess there should be cheaper devices with configured EDID to show to the input.

Yes, this is a known 'feature'. Tidal app switch to the stereo version when it does not find an Atmos capable output.

In my summer house (only 5.1) I use a device (HDFury Vertex2) to show the full EDID to the Fire TV, and then it sends the DD+ Atmos version than can be played in 5.1 This is an expensive device (I use it for other purposes in my main house) but guess there should be cheaper devices with configured EDID to show to the input.
Yeah man, same experience here. I actually spoke to Tidal's support team about this and they confirmed that's exactly what happens. I tried a (much) cheaper device than the one @AYanguas suggests and it didn't work. In fact, it degraded image quality as it didn't just process audio, but also video.

So you can count this one out of the race, it's not up to the task:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B083JVPXDY/ref=pe_27091401_487024491_TE_item

I am so bummed out. Bought a Fire Stick just so I could listen to Atmos mixes from Tidal, but I don't have an Atmos AVR. I was hoping it would mix down to 5.1 as Atmos Blu Ray discs do, but it will only play in stereo. Well, at least I tried. :( 🥃🥃
ATV 4K mix down Atmos to 5.1 from Apple Music.

Used Apple TV 4K, first generation devices have dropped in price on ebay since the 3rd gen models have been released. They work with a 5.1 HDMI receiver. I picked up one yesterday for $25+$10 shipping, using the "make offer" option.

Listened to Zappa Wazoo from Tidal and it looks good mix.

I find Atmos objects in some rear height location that fire both Rears (from 7.1) and Top Rears speakers, giving a good rear not too high image. I have found the same mixing approach in other Atmos mixes too. I see clearly the pattern with my VUmeters.

But there is also the same approach in front in some other parts imaging from both Top Fronts and... the Wides. I like very much when Atmos mixers use locations that render on the Wides, thus amortizing my 9.1.4 system. This gives some proof of an explanation that I read from someone: "A good Atmos mix is when you hear a sound that is coming from a location that there is no speaker. Imaging with several speakers".

The sound quality is also good from Tidal. I wonder if it would be worth to buy the Blu-ray to improve it.

Will go next to Waka to check it.

Thanks, but is it possible that Apple removed them? I thought for sure that I saved Waka and Wazoo as favorites and now they are gone. The link is missing in this post:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ng-via-tidal-apple.31491/page-190#post-654077
🤷‍♂️
definitely changed (downgraded! 😅 ) from Atmos to Lossless in my Library, so i've reluctantly bought the Box Set.

i say 'reluctantly' only because i've "no room at the Inn" for anymore Box Sets but if they've pulled the streaming then this is one i have to shoehorn in..!!

I have a “Surround” playlist in Apple Music where I put various songs. I had two Zappa songs from the latest set and, yeah, both are Stereo now. That’s happened with a couple of other songs in the past, too.

Thankfully I own the Zappa set, and maybe this is just a temporary thing with these two titles. But it continues to reaffirm to me that “renting” music is always going to be in conjunction with buying music I know I’ll want to have long-term.

i say 'reluctantly' only because i've "no room at the Inn" for anymore Box Sets but if they've pulled the streaming then this is one i have to shoehorn in..!!
Space fortunately isn’t a problem with this one, all discs are housed in a small CD-size clamshell package similar to Hawkwind’s Warrior On The Edge Of Time.

Does anyone have a link for the Police Greatest Hits in Dolby ATMOS on Apple Music?
I don’t think this is available (yet) on Apple Music. In my opinion, the Every Breath You Take: The Classics 5.1 mix on SACD is superior. This Atmos compilation does have a couple of tracks not present on the SACD, however.

I don’t think this is available (yet) on Apple Music. In my opinion, the Every Breath You Take: The Classics 5.1 mix on SACD is superior. This Atmos compilation does have a couple of tracks not present on the SACD, however.
oh.. gawd.. 😔 its years since i played them but i don't remember the old 5.1's being upto much 😫🤐

Back