Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Verve is busy these days. They also seem to be relying more and more on the synthesized-studio-reverb model for their catalog titles: elements of the fronts lifted into the front heights at lower volume, reverb in the rears and (barely) rear heights. Great album regardless.
i was playing this yesterday and my partner called out from the shower "are you watching Austin Powers baby!" 😂😅🤣

0 usage of height channels is a bummer 🤒
this was not my experience, a few earlier tracks didn't have much or anything going on in the Heights but the majority of them did, sometimes percussion, sometimes vocals, sometimes guitars, sometimes strings, "Beautiful Noise" started out with some of the traffic noise in the Heights and on one track Neil was up above in a kind of reverby "voice of God" way.

really impressed with how much they squeezed out of what are possibly fairly limited original multitracks.

my only wish was that they had Atmos mixed the duet version with Barbra Streisand of "You Don't Bring Me Flowers" rather than the solo rendition and any tracks from the "Serenade" album and maybe one or two later tracks they didn't cover but really a lovely surprise 💝

this was not my experience, a few earlier tracks didn't have much or anything going on in the Heights but the majority of them did, sometimes percussion, sometimes vocals, sometimes guitars, sometimes strings, "Beautiful Noise" started out with some of the traffic noise in the Heights and on one track Neil was up above in a kind of reverby "voice of God" way.

really impressed with how much they squeezed out of what are possibly fairly limited original multitracks.

my only wish was that they had Atmos mixed the duet version with Barbra Streisand of "You Don't Bring Me Flowers" rather than the solo rendition and any tracks from the "Serenade" album and maybe one or two later tracks they didn't cover but really a lovely surprise 💝
My 2 wishes regarding the Neil Diamond Atmos release are:
1. Utilizing the original single version of Solitary Man rather that an alternate take, even though the non-Atmos version of this compilation does have the single version.
2. Replacing the single version of Shilo that is also on the non-Atmos version of the compilation with the superior (IMO) re-recording (which if my memory is accurate was on the Shilo album).

My 2 wishes regarding the Neil Diamond Atmos release are:
1. Utilizing the original single version of Solitary Man rather that an alternate take, even though the non-Atmos version of this compilation does have the single version.
2. Replacing the single version of Shilo that is also on the non-Atmos version of the compilation with the superior (IMO) re-recording (which if my memory is accurate was on the Shilo album).
oh yes! your wish number 2 in particular is a good call, the later version of "Shilo" is fantastic! one of my all-time favourite tracks, the drums are so propulsive and drive the song on so much, i always found it a huge upgrade on the original recording.

The brass instruments in Sweet Caroline are by far the most use the top channels get, if you look at the waveforms. They sound great! Despite the limited use of the top channels on the majority of the other tracks, I still really dig the mix.

Now I normally run a mile when I see the words hip hop ....
But this one is an exception , music wise, for that genre.

Just find a way to delete the singing of words and bingo you have a great release.....imo

I think the rapping on this album--by Triple Trey and Tennishu--is top-notch, and the funky big-band musical arrangements are slammin'. (The Atmos mix is excellent, too. Wish we knew who did it.) And for me, the words and music go hand in hand. To my mind, most attempts to wed jazz and hip-hop miss their mark, but this one is a bullseye--it's what Robert Glasper wishes he could do! That said: if you want to hear the music alone (in high-res stereo), then your wish is Butcher Brown's command:

I was never a fan of any of the previous Police multichannel mixes. After first go of this new mix, I wasn't all that impressed, compared to some of the recent releases. Certainly isn't terrible but could be better.
I just had at first listen to Greatest Hits by the Police and I am relieved. It's so much better mixed than I feared. I have the old collection on SACD in 5.1 which probably is the worst sounding SACD I own. Used a lot of time to make my own remaster to improve it enough to bear listening to these songs that I love. This new Atmos mix has good fidelity. Level wise it's well mixed. The frequency response is enchanced in the low frequencies compared to the original. It suits the music and it sounds updated in a sensible way. The same goes for Copeland's drums. When I say it is good, it's not Scheiner/Wilson/Ulyate/Penny great, but I found it enjoyable. There certainly could have been some more polishing of the details. Some tracks could have been more immersive, but there are examples of great use of heights and surrounds too. Christmas wish: Atmos version of the Synchronicity and Ghost In the Machine albums! 😁

I just had at first listen to Greatest Hits by the Police and I am relieved. It's so much better mixed than I feared. I have the old collection on SACD in 5.1 which probably is the worst sounding SACD I own. Used a lot of time to make my own remaster to improve it enough to bear listening to these songs that I love. This new Atmos mix has good fidelity. Level wise it's well mixed. The frequency response is enchanced in the low frequencies compared to the original. It suits the music and it sounds updated in a sensible way. The same goes for Copeland's drums. When I say it is good, it's not Scheiner/Wilson/Ulyate/Penny great, but I found it enjoyable. There certainly could have been some more polishing of the details. Some tracks could have been more immersive, but there are examples of great use of heights and surrounds too. Christmas wish: Atmos version of the Synchronicity and Ghost In the Machine albums! 😁
I found this after your advise, but I remember now why I left Tidal , have to crank the volume way up. :confused: These mixes do nothing for me, tried several songs, but my height meters didn't lift much, so next to nothing in the height. Had to check in on Apple Music to see if there were something wrong with my Atmos decoding, it was not.:cool:
Uninstalling Tidal now, not worth having.

I found this after your advise, but I remember now why I left Tidal , have to crank the volume way up. :confused: These mixes do nothing for me, tried several songs, but my height meters didn't lift much, so next to nothing in the height. Had to check in on Apple Music to see if there were something wrong with my Atmos decoding, it was not.:cool:
Uninstalling Tidal now, not worth having.
Not all Tidal Atmos streams have the volume problem, but this one sure does.

Definitely one of the better hard rock mixes out there, loving this.

https://listen.tidal.com/album/221527981
Thank you for this, been in my library a few days now and listened last night and watched some videos.
Really good and interesting to watch.
Giant sound for a two man band, well at first I thought the singer was a woman, very adronageous.
Little hints of Greta Van Fleet along the way, bottom line I love it.

Very excited to see this new album by Little Simz, and eager to hear it. Her 2021 album, Sometimes I Might Be Introvert, was fabulous (and had a great Atmos mix). And over the last year or so I've gotten way into the prolific musicians' collective that she hangs with, SAULT.
I don't like most of the new music that comes out. I know... I'm old. But I am really enjoying this one. Great mix and I love her rapping.

Back