Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Incredible band!

Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 9.01.31 PM.png

I've got a 7.1.4 setup and I'm still not convinced any of these albums were remixed from a multitrack source. The front, side, and top front channels sound like the original stereo mix, while the rears and rear heights sound as if some kind of stem separation process was run to isolate the guitar or keyboard parts.
My thoughts exactly regarding the Roxy Music greatest hits.

Indeed, I have rear top, not front.
I haven't heard any sounds that are different from stereo, nor any sounds that are only in one speaker.
I love love love Harrison, and it's been fun to listen to songs I usually don't.
I still stand by my believe that if the experience of listening to a mix is good, it’s a good mix regardless of whether it has discrete channel source. I know lots of people think otherwise but it’s a taste thing.

I've got a 7.1.4 setup and I'm still not convinced any of these albums were remixed from a multitrack source. The front, side, and top front channels sound like the original stereo mix, while the rears and rear heights sound as if some kind of stem separation process was run to isolate the guitar or keyboard parts.
It’s possible. Upmixed then remove few instruments from few speakers to make it seem like it’s a real mix. Totally pointless process in my opinion. But listen to Nina Simone. Pure upmix without being shy to hide but it’s UMG and no one puts upmix/AI stamp here.

Indeed, I have rear top, not front.
I haven't heard any sounds that are different from stereo, nor any sounds that are only in one speaker.
I love love love Harrison, and it's been fun to listen to songs I usually don't.
I was at a Dolby Atmos listening party that one speaker brand hosted. There were Dolby guys and sound engineers. One of them told me that if they create new effect or sound that is different from original stereo, artist and label often rejects the mix especially on the older catalogue. Do you have an example of old album remixed in Atmos that has totally different parts/effect/sound than stereo?

Also listening to mixes in 5.1.2 has huge fold downs.. mixes will almost never have discrete sound source in that set up unless mixer mixed vocal in the center. Not a good way to judge.

I was at a Dolby Atmos listening party that one speaker brand hosted. There were Dolby guys and sound engineers. One of them told me that if they create new effect or sound that is different from original stereo, artist and label often rejects the mix especially on the older catalogue. Do you have an example of old album remixed in Atmos that has totally different parts/effect/sound than stereo?

Also listening to mixes in 5.1.2 has huge fold downs.. mixes will almost never have discrete sound source in that set up unless mixer mixed vocal in the center. Not a good way to judge.
There’s a version of Ted Nugent’s Stranglehold listed as in Atmos that is definitely a different mix. During the guitar solos the mix seems to be missing the feedback guitars in the background doing half step bends. It’s so different that I ran the Atmos speaker test track to make sure all channels were working.

There’s a version of Ted Nugent’s Stranglehold listed as in Atmos that is definitely a different mix. During the guitar solos the mix seems to be missing the feedback guitars in the background doing half step bends. It’s so different that I ran the Atmos speaker test track to make sure all channels were working.

That’s a bit of guitar player speak there jonemot55; do you pick a little?

Also noticed you’re a new member, welcome in!

There is a thread for new members to introduce themselves if you care to, but of course, no pressure.

Not sure if it has already been mentioned in this thread , listening to David Gilmour -Live in Gdańsk in what I think is the 5.1 mix f on the CD/DVD set , anyone with more knowledge of the set please feel free to chime in.. in Apple Music ..

Attachments

• BE6DEA7E-5227-4EDC-AE8F-9F15201CD48B.jpeg
    BE6DEA7E-5227-4EDC-AE8F-9F15201CD48B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Not sure if it has already been mentioned in this thread , listening to David Gilmour -Live in Gdańsk in what I think is the 5.1 mix f on the CD/DVD set , anyone with more knowledge of the set please feel free to chime in.. in Apple Music ..

Yes, that is in Dolby Audio (5.1), not Dolby Atmos. There is actually a separate thread for those.

Back