Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure about that. When I play from my ATV to my old Sony receiver, the display indicates the presence of 7 channels. Of course, I only have a 5.1 setup there, so....
I am showing 7.1 as well but I have an audio extractor in between that is capable of an Atmos handshake with the Apple TV. It then sends 7.1 to my AVR as I have the extractor set to output 7.1.

I am showing 7.1 as well but I have an audio extractor in between that is capable of an Atmos handshake with the Apple TV. It then sends 7.1 to my AVR as I have the extractor set to output 7.1.
Are the sides and back channels duplicated?

Only about 5-10 percent of music upmixes well from my personal experience. Fake echo and reverberation sound like ass to my delicate ears.
I love the Auro 3D upmixer, no fake echo or reverberation to my seemingly not so delicate ears. ;) I have a 7.4.4 setup and I want all my speakers to be active at all times no matter the channel count of the input.:cool:

Is it me? For some reason today, I don't see any of the apple links in this thread, just an empty gray box with a music note in the middle. I tried Chrome, Safari and my phone - all the same. Is it my network or something here?

I love the Auro 3D upmixer, no fake echo or reverberation to my seemingly not so delicate ears. ;) I have a 7.4.4 setup and I want all my speakers to be active at all times no matter the channel count of the input.:cool:
I still like mono, stereo, quadraphonic, and 5.1.

Is it me? For some reason today, I don't see any of the apple links in this thread, just an empty gray box with a music note in the middle. I tried Chrome, Safari and my phone - all the same. Is it my network or something here?
I thought it was because I think my 2 month trial subscription ran out today, but now that I think about it, I should still see them.

edit.
They work now for me...

I thought it was because I think my 2 month trial subscription ran out today, but now that I think about it, I should still see them.

edit.
They work now for me...
I spoke a little too soon. It seems like they are just taking a long time to load.

I absolutely love the new Roxy Atmos mix. Do The Strand has never sounded better. I genuinely feel sorry for anyone who doesn't get a great experience from this mix. Someone compared it to The Police Hits, and my jaw hit the floor. That mix is terrible and the Roxy mix sounds great.
But do you love it as much as the 5.1 surround Clearmountain mix of Avalon on SACD? That's what some of us are comparing it to (the tracks Avalon and More Than This, specifically), and the Atmos mixes come up short in comparison.

But do you love it as much as the 5.1 surround Clearmountain mix of Avalon on SACD? That's what some of us are comparing it to (the tracks Avalon and More Than This, specifically), and the Atmos mixes come up short in comparison.
Many of the songs aren't on Avalon or The first self titled album mixed by Steven Wilson.

That said, Do The Strand, mix wise, hangs with any previously mixed 5.1 song by Roxy Music. There are some true gems on Best of.

I am not sure about that. When I play from my ATV to my old Sony receiver, the display indicates the presence of 7 channels. Of course, I only have a 5.1 setup there, so....
I just tested this with my Yamaha RX-V665 and I'm definitely only getting 5.1 when "straight" (no DSP) mode is engaged. As I understand it, the streaming Atmos codec treats the rear surround channels as objects rather than part of the bed (presumably because the object channels are lower bitrate than the bed, thus decreasing the file size) - so that information can only be properly separated out by an Atmos-capable AVR.

I just tested this with my Yamaha RX-V665 and I'm definitely only getting 5.1 when "straight" (no DSP) mode is engaged. As I understand it, the streaming Atmos codec treats the rear surround channels as objects rather than part of the bed (presumably because the object channels are lower bitrate than the bed, thus decreasing the file size) - so that information can only be properly separated out by an Atmos-capable AVR.
My Oppo HDMI input shows 7.1. I haven't checked to see if the sides and backs are different or duplicated. My guess is they are duplicated considering the bed of streaming Atmos is 5.1.

Back