Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll lose the rear surrounds if you do that, the ATV only sends a 5.1 core.
According to Apple Specs, ATV sends/supports 5.1, 7.1 or Atmos, so if it's an Atmos capable device AVR, then you'd get the full discrete 7.1 portion which would have the .4 overhead "down" mixed into the 7.1 as Atmos is embedded into the E-AC-3 stream but not an AC-3 stream.

Audio Formats
HE-AAC (V1), AAC (up to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (up to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Apple Lossless, FLAC, AIFF, and WAV; AC-3 (Dolby Digital 5.1), E-AC-3 (Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 surround sound), and Dolby Atmos

My pre/pro sees 7.1 but it's not an Atmos device, and didn't put anything in the rears. I agree, they must get treated like objects and need the Atmos. I have to say, that was a disappointing revelation.
A non Atmos device would get the AC-3 substream found within the E-AC-3 stream. Probably duplicates the channels to make a 7.1 that your p/p is seeing.

According to Apple Specs, ATV sends/supports 5.1, 7.1 or Atmos, so if it's an Atmos capable device AVR, then you'd get the full discrete 7.1 portion which would have the .4 overhead "down" mixed into the 7.1 as Atmos is embedded into the E-AC-3 stream but not an AC-3 stream.

Audio Formats
HE-AAC (V1), AAC (up to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (up to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Apple Lossless, FLAC, AIFF, and WAV; AC-3 (Dolby Digital 5.1), E-AC-3 (Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 surround sound), and Dolby Atmos
It isn't a hardware thing. Streaming Atmos music, has a 5.1 bed, while Blu-ray Atmos is 7.1. There are other spec differences too, to keep the file size down.

Actually, I don't see the Bangladesh album on Apple Music at all, Stereo or otherwise. May be a rights issue due to all the artists performing on that record.
The best option right now is to watch the movie.
The old DVD has a 5.1 DTS soundtrack that sounds pretty good if you turn it up to concert volume.
If it's properly loud to fill the room, who the hell cares if there's fairy dust sprinkling down from the ceiling speakers? 😉

Probably my most-watched concert film.

:51QQ

No Code and 10 are on Tidal in 360, that's why it's surprising to see Yield show up in Atmos. No Gigaton on Tidal.
If you go to the 360 Reality Audio “genre” page on Tidal, Yield is listed there with the Atmos indicator, which is odd that this album got indexed there. Get the Atmos version while you can, just in case it gets replaced with a 360RA version on Tidal.

Back