Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you go to the 360 Reality Audio “genre” page on Tidal, Yield is listed there with the Atmos indicator, which is odd that this album got indexed there. Get the Atmos version while you can, just in case it gets replaced with a 360RA version on Tidal.
I noticed the new Jethro Tull single on the 360 page too, in one of the playlists.

Nice! I used to like Feist, but haven't kept up with her for years now. Adventurous mixes, especially for such deceptively simple (and mostly acoustic) arrangements. This kind of got overshadowed (for me) today by the new Peter Gabriel track, which is amazing, but I think I'll end up spending just as much time with these.
“Hiding Out In The Open” sounds amazing! Interesting mix approach that really uses the whole space, lead vocal is mostly in the sides (and center) with the backing vocals and acoustic guitars spread all around and above.

For anyone who is interested, the Pearl Jam - Yield spatial audio mix was “Crafted by Gigaton producer Josh Evans, and spatial audio expert Nick Rives” according to an email from Pearl Jam. These credits are not on Tidal which is why I decided to share.
I think the so called "spatial audio expert" forgot something, the heights. Sampled 3-4 songs and it's mostly a good 5.1 mix.
Cued up Haken to hear me some real spatial audio. ;)

;)

YELLall.jpg

First time I've heard this. DD+ makes more sense.
According to the ATSC standard a lot of reading and tech but here is the link:
https://www.atsc.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/A52-201212-17.pdf
"Optionally, E-AC-3 bit streams may consist of multiple independent substreams (type 0 or 2) or a combination of multiple independent (type 0 and 2) and multiple dependent (type 1) substreams."

"When a bit stream contains a single program with greater than 5.1 channels, independent substream 0 contains a 5.1 channel downmix of the program for compatibility with playback systems containing 5.1 speakers (Figure E3.3)."

"In order to accommodate playback by systems with greater than 5.1 speakers, the E-AC-3 bit stream will carry one or more dependent substreams that contain channels that either replace or supplement the 5.1 channel data carried in independent substream 0."

When a bit stream contains a single program with greater than 5.1 channels
Sorry but I don't understand how that fits the context of the ac3 discussion considering ac3 has a maximum of 5.1. The discussion is 5.1 and not greater (7.1). That said, my Oppo reports 7.1 output so to think AC3, and not DD+ is involved in the output, makes it more confusing. My guess is that DD+ in the MAT format is sent as 7.1 PCM, and that is what my Oppo is getting. I just don't see where standard AC3 fits in this.

Sorry but I don't understand how that fits the context of the ac3 discussion considering ac3 has a maximum of 5.1. The discussion is 5.1 and not greater (7.1). That said, my Oppo reports 7.1 output so to think AC3, and not DD+ is involved in the output, makes it more confusing. My guess is that DD+ in the MAT format is sent as 7.1 PCM, and that is what my Oppo is getting. I just don't see where standard AC3 fits in this.
Basically "E-AC-3" is 7.1 but has embedded in it a "legacy" (for lack of a better word) AC-3 5.1 stream for those that can only get 5.1

As far as it being sent as PCM, that's the ATV upconverting the E-AC-3 to PCM for output.

I'm really enjoying the mix on this one.

Often I’ll see something here and add it to my list to listen to later is the samples grab my interest in some way. Listening to this now and what a pleasant album.

Yet another artist I likely would have never heard of if not for this thread as it’s not in my usual wheelhouse.

I happened to be finishing up the ripping of my KISS Destroyer blu-ray and doing a quick-test of the results.

Musically speaking, it’s a brutal whiplash going back and forth between the two styles of music.

I love the Auro 3D upmixer, no fake echo or reverberation to my seemingly not so delicate ears. ;) I have a 7.4.4 setup and I want all my speakers to be active at all times no matter the channel count of the input.:cool:
I like the Auro 3D too. I keep trying to find things not to like about it ( cause it’s not “real”) but I haven’t been able to. Nicely opens up, gives more space to most mixes.

I currently have no Atmos capability on my main system and will probably not for a very long time but, 5.1 is still very good for me. My only Atmos source is my Sony Xperia phone. I have sampled a few Atmos tracks via headphones but have been disappointed. The sound does feel clearer but the spatial effect is really subtle. My home and car systems are massively better.

Yesterday I found this neckband on the Sony website Buy SRS-NS7 Wireless Neckband Speaker | Default Value | Sony Store Online | Sony UK
and wondered if any of my fellow QQ friends have any knowledge or experience of it's capability. On the one hand it looks very quirky but then again might be an amazing way to personalise Atmos. To be fair to Sony this does seem the result of 'thinking out of the box' and not for everyone! I definitely could not think of getting it without a demo but it might be brilliant whilst I work in my home office. Any (well...most) comments welcome. 😀

Got a link for that audio extractor?
After doing some extensive listening I don't think that anything is coming from the back channels even though my receiver is showing a 7.1 input. Sometimes there is something there I think but not a lot. I am happy with the outcome nevertheless. I don't think I will ever have Atmos anyway as I'm 70 and frankly can't be bothered going any farther than 7.1. The surround mixes from Apple sound great. Here is the extractor.
https://www.amazon.com/HDMI2-0b-Ext...udio+extractor+with+7.1ch+atoms,aps,83&sr=8-2

Back