Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R.E.M. fans have been spoiled by the Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mixes that are excellent and discrete. The Atmos mix of Murmur is nowhere as good as any of the 5.1 Scheiner mixes IMO.
I don’t know this album well enough to comment on how faithful the Atmos mix is to the original stereo, but I’m really enjoying it. I might even put it ahead of some of the Scheiner 5.1 mixes, which aren't among his best work (IMO).

The Atmos mix really uses the whole space, with Stipe’s vocal hovering between the fronts & front heights and the drum kit extending outward towards the side speakers. There are even some drum fills that go up into the height speakers, plus isolated acoustic guitar, piano, or organ in the sides & rears. “9-9” and “We Walk” were highlights for me.

Sound quality is excellent too, the drums in particular sound crisp and punchy. Fingers crossed for a 40th box with this mix on Blu-Ray!

Anyone else think the Hellbilly Deluxe is a bit bass shy/thin sounding? Other than that, I like the mix.
A few tracks are of the best Atmos mixes I have ever heard, crazy height action. The whole album in Atmos is real good. Yes, maybe a little bass shy, a touch, and front lower stage could be a little heavier.
This certainly is a case for Music vs Atmos, if you don't like the music it does not matter how good the Atmos is.
Fortunately I like this album.

Fortunately I like this album.
A lot of this album got radio play back in the day and I listened to a lot of radio while I was working. I never listened to this particular album until now, and every song is good. La Sexorcisto Devil Music Vol. 1, is the only album I am entirely familiar with and have it on CD since release. Not a bad tune on it either.

Someone posted on another forum that the new St. Vincent showed up on Apple, but I don't have a link, and I don't see it on Tidal yet.

Hm. New, since Daddy's Home (2021)? I'm seeing a new Saint Harison, but not St. Vincent.
The Nowhere Inn. I only see the stereo version on Tidal. The Apple Atmos link for it wasn't from the US.
edit...
It seems the album is from 2021 and is from her movie she did.

Last edited:
The Nowhere Inn. I only see the stereo version on Tidal. The Apple Atmos link for it wasn't from the US.
The opener, title track is up, but no other tracks at the moment:

Also, while I’m doing single tracks; for fans of Aphex Twin, I found this orchestral arrangement of Avril 14th in Atmos via Apple Music Classical (whole album this is from is also Atmos)

Even though I do all my work on a mac, I've held out with everything else because when the iphone came out I got really annoyed with the whole app store / walled garden ridiculous concept. Still annoys the hell out of me. I've used Tidal for almost a year and then when Harrison's catalogue came out I basically had no choice and did the free month (and bought an Apple TV device). The UX on this thing is millions of light years ahead of everything else. It was a reminder that, for some reason, only Apple actually cares about the details and user experience. But also, somehow, the sound quality is much better. Not sure if there's been any discussion about this here before, and I don't know why that would be, but there's no doubt. I was using Tidal on the Fire stick, and now I'm using the Apple TV device - that's probably where the difference in sound quality is.

In any case... It pains me, really does, but I recommend switching.
I went through the latest versions of a Firestick and Roku and returned them both. I settled on an Apple TV4K (Ethernet with 128 GB). It's the only Apple device that I own. I love it. Not just for Apple Music but for all the other Streaming Apps as well. I had Tidal on a deal for 2 months as an App on the Apple and dropped it when the deal ran out. I am really happy with the Apple TV. It worked as I wanted it to from day one.

I went through the latest versions of a Firestick and Roku and returned them both. I settled on an Apple TV4K (Ethernet with 128 GB). It's the only Apple device that I own. I love it. Not just for Apple Music but for all the other Streaming Apps as well.
Amen, same here, I'm not on the Apple fanboy club. I normally don't care for the way they
try to lock you into their associated app's and make you take the Red or Blue pill. But as a streamer box they do offer the best of the surround music selection and that's what I was looking for. So as not to go over the top, I find the UI (user interface) the worst of the music streamers and the remotes are total junk, There, I said it. LOL

Back