Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(BTW, if you follow through and search on “left romain”, you don’t even get a valid song or album, but you do get the artist Romain who has nothing in Atmos.)
I have a similar oddball issue where the Apple TV outright refuses to load Brian Eno’s artist page. Loads on all other devices but not the Apple TV…

Has anyone heard anything about the possibility of improved resolution for streaming ATMOS?
There was some hubbub about an “unnamed” service supporting High Resolution Atmos “this fall” but as far as I can tell we don’t know what it is yet. There was a thread on this site about it but I can’t find it now. I think some people did find *a* experimental service streaming high res Atmos but it had like… 2 albums on it

I have a similar oddball issue where the Apple TV outright refuses to load Brian Eno’s artist page. Loads on all other devices but not the Apple TV…
Same. I’ve had that problem in the past with Eno and just confirmed it’s still a problem. Similar situation with a couple of other artists, too.

Has anyone heard anything about the possibility of improved resolution for streaming ATMOS?

Someone over on Hoffman posted about how crappy streaming sounds compared to BluRay. So, I did something really stupid cause I already knew the answer.

I pulled out my BluRay with Abbey Road in ATMOS and played it. I had the same recording going on Apple Music on my AppleTV and I switched back and forth, adjusting to make sure they were at the same volume.

I’m ruined. The difference was astounding. Easiest example is the ability to hear the sound of the room on the Blu-ray and lucious reverb tails.

Streaming, not so much.

I’m still going to stream, and I will enjoy, but yes, streaming ATMOS has a longggggggg way to go. I hope someone’s started the journey over at Dolbyville.
I have not, but I suppose it could be done as a new, enhanced service level/tier by Tidal, Apple Music, etc. I am curious what the monthly fee would be to compensate for the extra bandwidth.

Someone over on Hoffman posted about how crappy streaming sounds compared to BluRay. So, I did something really stupid cause I already knew the answer.

I pulled out my BluRay with Abbey Road in ATMOS and played it. I had the same recording going on Apple Music on my AppleTV and I switched back and forth, adjusting to make sure they were at the same volume.

I’m ruined. The difference was astounding. Easiest example is the ability to hear the sound of the room on the Blu-ray and lucious reverb tails.

Streaming, not so much.

I’m still going to stream, and I will enjoy, but yes, streaming ATMOS has a longggggggg way to go. I hope someone’s started the journey over at Dolbyville.
Why I’m still pissed they excluded a Blu-Ray in the revolver set and from the sound of things all sets going forward.

There was some hubbub about an “unnamed” service supporting High Resolution Atmos “this fall” but as far as I can tell we don’t know what it is yet. There was a thread on this site about it but I can’t find it now. I think some people did find *a* experimental service streaming high res Atmos but it had like… 2 albums on it
Maybe you were thinking of this post?

Incidentally, I also have the issue with Brian Eno's page not loading on Apple TV, and maybe a couple of other artists that I can't recall off the top of my head.

Streaming, not so much.

I hear the difference, but to my oldish ears streaming is quite alright, and I wouldn't be without all the good Atmos mixes that are only streaming. I buy stand alone BDA's with Atmos from artists I like, but not 5.1 or quads anymore. Though I have to admit I bought the last 7" SACD from Sony Japan, as I'm a sucker for everything with with Billy Cobham. ;)

Streaming, not so much.

I hear ya'. That moment came for me shortly after I expanded to 5.1.4 and got a Tidal subscription. Listened to SW's TFB on Tidal and thought to myself "wow, that sounds really good". Then I played the BD and realized what an idiot I was. Like night and day. And yes, it has somewhat ruined my appreciation of listening to Atmos content streaming. All I can think about is somewhere there is an uncompressed file of this music that I am not allowed to hear.

nice to see Ealan Osborne's getting into Atmos Music now and talking about it on YouTube! 🤩🥳💘

I think some of his criticism would be lessened with a larger room. Especially the center channel issues he has. There needs to be more blending of the sounds, instead of such direct speaker interaction. Still, I appreciate his enthusiasm for sure, and he didn't complain about the source being lossy, once, which is refreshing.

I found an article yesterday from May 2023. There’s a small start up company that developed a technique that would support lossless ATMOS streaming. The development of the product was at the “ proof of concept” phase, meaning that the technique was effective, but a lot of work needs to be done before it’s commercially viable.

Beat me to it! Whaddya think? On a first, very casual, listen last night, I wasn't as impressed with the music or the mix as I was with the previous album. But I'm hoping I just need to give it a little more focus & dedication.
I only heard a handful of tracks so far, without paying strict attention and was out of the sweet spot for the mix, so I don't have a fair judgement yet. First impression is that it's a bit out of my musical wheelhouse, less jazzy and more hippity-hoppity than my tastes gravitate to. But I plan to give it a more attentive listen later, so we'll see.

Back