Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i hope you'll indulge me in sharing an album in Italian with you all.. 🙏🇮🇹😋

this has some of the most adventurous use of Atmos, in particular the Heights, i've yet to hear, it's extraordinary 🤯🥳✌️

err.. caution! 😅😉 on certain tracks it feels like vocals are getting panned around and about all the speakers!! 😵 i think it's gonna get some complaints for being too crazy a mix tbh but i'm loving it so far!! 😍

I just listened to this (Electric Ladyland) and despite the lossy source t's a massive upgrade on the old 5.1 mix, which sounded a lot of the time sounded to me like big (fake) stereo with discrete elements occasionally laid over top and pinned in the corners. This mix is considerably more aggressive and I think the pans completely suit the music and the vibe of the original mix.

I also liked the fact that they were less aggressive in mixing the songs mixed from four-track masters than the old 5.1 mix - it may have rendered them more conservative in a surround sense, but they sound far more cohesive (and satisfying) musically.

Hearing this album in Atmos makes me really want to hear Are You Experienced? I don't really know anything about the recording of that album, but I'm guessing the multitrack sources are probably similarly limited to the four-track songs on Electric Ladyland. If that's the case maybe they could use some of that fancy new stem extraction software or something, because it's the kind of album that would suit a crazy immersive whizz-bang panning type of mix.

This mix is considerably more aggressive and I think the pans completely suit the music and the vibe of the original mix.
Completely agree, and I like that that the lead vocals are now placed upfront instead of in all speakers. But what happened to the rhythm section? The drums in "1983" hit really hard on the 5.1 mix, but here it's like they're in the background (at least on my system). "Gypsy Eyes", another one of my favorites on the album, also sounded kind of thin and gutless in the new Atmos presentation.

Electric Ladyland - I also liked the fact that they were less aggressive in mixing the songs mixed from four-track masters than the old 5.1 mix - it may have rendered them more conservative in a surround sense, but they sound far more cohesive (and satisfying) musically.
"Recording began at the end of 1967 at Olympic Studios in London on four-track equipment with Chandler producing, and ended on a 12-track machine at the Record Plant in New York..."

"Electric Ladyland was one of those albums that I look back on now and think 'Good grief! What the hell were we doing?'": the road to Jimi Hendrix's final studio masterpiece (msn.com)

Jimi Hendrix - Elextric Ladyland Dolby Atmos mix is much more descrete than the previously released 5.1 mix. The Dolby Atmos mix is far better than the 5.1 mix IMO. I would love to get a Blu ray Dolby Atmos mix of Electric Ladyland. The old 5.1 mix isn’t in the same ballpark as the new Dolby Atmos mix. Really Good mix.

Karkwa - Dans la seconde
Quite ecclectic, nice mix. When will there be firmware update with the option of translating French lyrics on-screen?
https://tidal.com/album/309945612
That’s been on my wishlist of features for a while! Ideally I’d love the lyrics to effectively have the same presentation, but with English in a smaller font underneath it.
Apple has their own Machine Learning Translation tech, which makes it seem even more like a no brainer.

I think unfortunately that's one of the remnants from Warner's fake Atmos upload from last year. :confused: Great song, a classic that's always a dance floor filler. 💃🕺 Hopefully will get a proper discrete mix from multis one day?

I'd personally recommend some groovy Japanese quad instead... :cool:

Back