Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, this doesn't sound like the work of David Leonard, who did the stand-alone mix of When Doves Cry that came out in 2020 and which is still available (at least for now) on the Deluxe Expanded Edition of Purple Rain.

And that's a shame, because I really like what he did with When Doves Cry: fun, punchy, nicely clear and discrete. I was hoping he'd eventually get a shot at the whole album.

I haven't delved into the album as a whole yet -- I've only done an A/B of the two When Doves Cry mixes. And the album mix to me is... meh. (Caveat: I'm listening in 5.1.)

I agree, this sounds more like the work of whoever did Diamonds and Pearls. Everything sounds very different from the original stereo mixes. The emphasis is on bass and percussions and most everything else gets buried. It's fun and engaging and fills the soundstage and lots of things everywhere, but it's off. These releases make me appreciate Giles Martin's work more, I have to admit.

Still going to play this non stop for the foreseeable future.

Purple Rain in Atmos - it has finally happened!
Listening to it now and I must say that Let's go Crazy sounds mighty fine! Lots of action in the rears and hights.
The mix of Purple Rain (The song) is not to my taste.
In the guitar solo there is a continues synth chord that is blasting from the surrounds. It's too loud and distracts from the iconic guitar solo.

On the other hand, When Doves Cry sounds great.

Supposedly nine albums in Atmos altogether. (Remixed by whom, they don't say.) It's the quartet's 50th anniversary, and this weekend's Kronos Festival at SFJAZZ marks both that milestone and the retirement of violinist John Sherba and violist Hank Dutt.

I wasn't all that impressed with the mix of Different Trains/Electric Counterpoint, which @mkt posted about in the classical Atmos listening thread the other day. (Maybe some of the other albums, like Pieces of Africa, are better?) But I'm glad this is happening!

https://www.nonesuch.com/journal/se...al-audio-now-apple-music-classical-2024-06-21

There's also a Kronos Quartet Essentials playlist for the Kronos-kurious:

Oh yeah!!!
Pretty happy with this one on first listen. Nicely done and the trebly screaming at the end of Beautiful Ones is slightly toned down as opposed to the original mix. Always hurt my ears!

Only gripe would be that I think Computer Blue lends itself to a whole lot more adventurous mix than this. Lets go crazy, let's get nuts!

Prince mix did nothing for me in 5.1, followed by One Hand Clapping which was much better. Maybe the Prince will sound better decoded, and levels tweaked.

Supposedly nine albums in Atmos altogether. (Remixed by whom, they don't say.) It's the quartet's 50th anniversary, and this weekend's Kronos Festival at SFJAZZ marks both that milestone and the retirement of violinist John Sherba and violist Hank Dutt.

I wasn't all that impressed with the mix of Different Trains/Electric Counterpoint, which @mkt posted about in the classical Atmos listening thread the other day. (Maybe some of the other albums, like Pieces of Africa, are better?) But I'm glad this is happening!

https://www.nonesuch.com/journal/se...al-audio-now-apple-music-classical-2024-06-21

There's also a Kronos Quartet Essentials playlist for the Kronos-kurious:
BTW: Kronos also has a brand-new album out today--a Sun Ra tribute, the latest installment in the Red Hot series. It didn't get an Atmos mix, sadly, but it deserves one!

For my part I like the new Purple Rain mixes, especially on headphones where the instrument separation is really welcome.
Okay. So after a few plays I have a better handle on this, and bear with me as I’m a Prince geek.

The mixes are fun and work well as surround.
However…

I feel like mix engineer did take some liberties with the songs and has remixed in places rather than expanded.
As a purist I’m not sure this is a good move and places emphasises on instrumentation or vocals that do not honour the originals.

So for me, as a diversion, or alternative, it’s fun and an experience.

But give me the original stereo on vinyl any day.

Okay. So after a few plays I have a better handle on this, and bear with me as I’m a Prince geek.

The mixes are fun and work well as surround.
However…

I feel like mix engineer did take some liberties with the songs and has remixed in places rather than expanded.
As a purist I’m not sure this is a good move and places emphasises on instrumentation or vocals that do not honour the originals.

So for me, as a diversion, or alternative, it’s fun and an experience.

But give me the original stereo on vinyl any day.
On my first listen. Yes this interesting and different mix for sure. I’m in 5.1

The volumes are all over the place on Tidal. And Let’s Go Crazy sounded like a weak upmix. Then Take Me with U came out slamming with drums all over the place. Beautiful Ones sounded very nice. Computer Blue is wild fun with instruments all over the place! But the guitar is under mixed in the intro. The segue into Darling Nikki isn’t smooth. And DN sounds small and compressed. Haven’t started the 2nd side yet, but I hope these oddities are smoothed out for the blu ray and that things like DN sounding like it’s playing through an AM radio are just a Tidal/streaming anomaly!

Back