Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to go ahead and purchase a new Apple TV 4k+ and got it all connected up to the system last night. So far I've only listed to a few songs from Tom Petty Wildflowers, U2 Achtung Baby, and a few other random tracks in Atmos on Apple Music. All in all, I'm quite unimpressed ... no discrete stuff in what I listened to. I hope there are more discrete releases on Apple Music...onward we go.
I recommend the below songs to experience Dolby Atmos on the Apple TV.

1.) Flaming Lips - In the Morning of the Magicians
  • This is one of the few songs which have the rainbow/arc effect. Part of the song starts on the rear left speaker and slowly moves overhead to the right rear speaker. If you want to test this part of the song fast forward to the 1:00 mark and it happens again at 3:40.
2.) Jeff Wayne - Horsell Common and the Heat Ray
  • This is the musical version of the War of the Worlds. It does contain spoken words but once the music side kicks in, the sound effects are all over the place. This is an incredible use of heights. I use this to demo Atmos to my friends.
3.) Air - La Femme d'argent
  • The blu-ray version is superior but this is still a trip on the Apple TV.
Even if these aren't your favorite genres of music, They are incredible examples of how great Dolby Atmos can sound when done correctly.

Last edited:
Telos-Zedd

Started off with this danced up Jeff Buckley ‘Grace’ album gem:

Loved the rest of the album. Superb Atmos mix and some really creative use of artist collaboration and the overall sonic canvas. Some really good usage of ceiling speakers.

Would buy a hi-res version in a heartbeat.
Thanks for posting this, while not exactly my jam, it is a great demo of the ceiling speakers :)

The album In a Tidal Wave of of Mystery by Capital Cities seems to have been completely removed from Apple Music. In my library about half of the tracks were replaced with versions from various compilations. but most just say No Longer Available.

BOOM!
NO.jpg

Plus they're on Warner.
Warner usually likes to release these themselves.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe that there are Warner titles in the SDE series.

This streaming only announcement does make me think that there's no physical releases in the near future, but maybe they'll surprise us like they did with Alphaville.

Back