Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You talking about the new Atmos mix?

If so what was so bad about it?
You know how they created the Kind Of Blue Atmos mix by setting up three high end speakers in studio and recording the playback? To me, it sounds like a similar process was used for Definitely Maybe but they instead used a transistor radio for playback.

You know how they created the Kind Of Blue Atmos mix by setting up three high end speakers in studio and recording the playback? To me, it sounds like a similar process was used for Definitely Maybe but they instead used a transistor radio for playback.
Sorry I'm out of the loop with the kind Of Blue Atmos mix. Mind if you could link an article about it?

That's the process they used to create the old 5.1 mix...you're saying they did it *again* for an Atmos mix?

All I see in that thread is speculation.

For sure, though, the decades-old 5.1 mix was created from the 3-track masters by recording room ambience for the surround channels.

I'm probably confusing a couple of mixes. I thought they did the same with the Atmos mix but I can't find details on it:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...and-sketches-of-spain-remixed-to-atmos.26474/
No--that's definitely how they did it. I've linked to relevant stories/interviews/webinars (one of which was, I think, in a special "Atmos" issue--May 2020, I want to say?--of Mix magazine) with Dave Rideau and/or Steve Genewick a few times over the past couple of years, though of course I can't find them again now. Genewick & Co. also used more or less the same process to make Atmos mixes of Blue Note Classics.

Edit--okay, start here:
https://www.mixonline.com/sfp/dolby-atmos-music-its-different-when-you-mix-music-only
https://www.mixonline.com/recording/how-miles-davis-kind-of-blue-got-a-dolby-atmos-mix

Last edited:
I've listened to Oasis' Definitely Maybe Atmos mix twice now. I do feel it is a front heavy mix - not very adventurous or enveloping. The best thing about it is that it is much more dynamic than the stereo version. If this is indeed a fake atmos mix, then how do you tell that it is so?

“American Head” is another great Flaming Lips Atmos mix. Completely different from “Yoshimi” and in some ways more ambitious, perhaps because they didn’t have a previous 5.1 release as a guide. Every track has some sort of soloed instrument or voice in the heights, but as the music is more chill, you don’t have the full on sonic attack that you get from “Yoshimi.”

This is The Flaming Lips' second best album behind "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots". I'm so happy to hear it's been released in Atmos. I haven't listened to it yet but I hope it's close to Yoshimi's amazing Atmos mix.

Edit: 3 songs in and it's sounding amazing. The instruments are isolated and discrete so far. Excellent use of heights in the front. I hope this continues through the entire album.

Last edited:
“American Head” is another great Flaming Lips Atmos mix. Completely different from “Yoshimi” and in some ways more ambitious, perhaps because they didn’t have a previous 5.1 release as a guide. Every track has some sort of soloed instrument or voice in the heights, but as the music is more chill, you don’t have the full on sonic attack that you get from “Yoshimi.”
Still not available for me. Hopefully it's not a US only release.

Oh man! This is one of the few modern Flips I like enough to have on vinyl! Hopefully Kings Mouth (an insane, previously Record Store Day exclusive “storybook album” narrated by Mick Jones) gets the treatment as well, that’s the album before this one.

In addition to Ziggy, Luck and Strange, Droplets, the new American Head remix… these are also in my “to listen” pile. Cannot comment on the quality of the mix or music but here’s a bunch in my pile:

The latest from minimalist composer Max Richter:

Some promising seeming electronic:

The latest from a Belarusian group who always has captivating impractical architecture on their covers:

The latest from Toro y Moi, moving away from his “chill wave” albums and back to his earlier pop punk and alternative roots:

The latest from EDM artist Fred Again… is making waves in some of the music discords I’m in:

Back