Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After seeing all the releases on here I finally broke down and bought an ATV4K and spent the last two days going through this thread and building a library to listen to. First impression of it all is that the platform is a POS with it's horrible little remote and frustratingly difficult search , browse, find what you're looking for and trying to figure out if you've found the file you want. I did add a bluetooth keyboard which helped a bunch, but it still is a crappy interface. I only have a 5.1 setup and so far have only been able to listen to my downstairs, small system. Looking forward to getting a chance to play it on the big system but find it hard to find time and will eventually have to do some rewiring of the house to make it simpler than carrying the box up there.

The one release that pushed me over the top to get it was Joe Bonamassa's Time Clocks so that was the first thing I listened to. It's been my favorite release by anybody over the last year of two and every time I would listen to it I would think how good it would sound with a good surround mix. And it didn't disappoint. A great release that I would spend real money on in a heartbeat if I could buy a physical release. There's even a guitar part on Curtain Call that every time I listened to it I thought about how it should swirl the room on a good mix and Bob Clearmountain did just that. Was off to a great start!

Next I tried the new Bonnie Raitt and it is a useless surround mix which is very disappointing considering how good the Nick of Time dvd-a sounds. So it's not all a world of milk and honey. Next I went to BOC's Tyranny and Mutation and while it was great having it in quad, it seemed in need of some EQ help, sounded kind of shrill, but it never was an audiophile recording. I will compare 7 Screaming Dizbusters to the AF sampler disc that had that one at some point. Played the Tom Petty Angel's Dream which I had never heard and loved it. Great music and also seemed like a better surround presentation than his earlier blurays, although I did like those.

I've found a lot to like but it's weird how there will be just one song off an album that was done in surround and a lot of what is done seems odd to me. Have loved the old Motown stuff but some of the old stuff that was probably recorded on primitive equipment seems like the Atmos doesn't bring out a lot. But if they keep up with the releases, I will gladly pay the monthly fee if they don't get greedy and start to raise prices regularly.

K

fwiw, i've found it easier to search for and add new Dolby Atmos and Dolby Audio tracks using the Apple Music App on the iPhone and iPad than on the ATV itself 🙂

fwiw, i've found it easier to search for and add new Dolby Atmos and Dolby Audio tracks using the Apple Music App on the iPhone and iPad than on the ATV itself 🙂
My only Apple product is the ATV4, and that won't change. I rely on @fredblue and others here to find the music on their iPhones and iPads so I just can click the link. Thanks to you all. :cool:

Yeah the wolfmother mix is terrible. Surround is non existent. The mixing engineer Kurt Martinez said it was a lot of of fun to work on on Facebook. Something is definitely wrong if he thinks that is a good mix. Only good thing about it is that it has much better mastering than the stereo mix.

fwiw, i've found it easier to search for and add new Dolby Atmos and Dolby Audio tracks using the Apple Music App on
@kvsawilson Durango is beautiful!
I use the apple music app on my phone, click the + button to add to my library, then find them on the ATV4K thing.
On phone, if you go to search but don't type anything, click spatial audio, you can search easier for new atmos stuff.
Thanks. I was building my library while listening but will try loading up the app next time. I was trying using spatial or atmos is my searches but still wasn't always finding what i was looking for. But I think I was looking for some things that I thought I'd remembered seeing were available and was wrong about. I think it still is hard finding some things because if only some songs on an album are in atmos, the album doesn't show as being available in atmos and you have to look at each song. Still learning.

K

Sam Smith - In The Lonely Hour... This album was massive when it got released in the UK. First time I've really listened to it, apart from songs I've heard on the radio. The tunes are quite good and so is the Atmos mix... :cool:

1280x1280-22.jpg

Apple Music - In the Lonely Hour by Sam Smith
Tidal - https://tidal.com/browse/album/227555536

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back