Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this new version marked "Super Deluxe" has a different Atmos mix than what's linked below (which sounded a lot like the old 5.1 mix to me)?
https://music.apple.com/us/album/come-away-with-me/1471082258
Well, it's hard to A/B, but it certainly sounds like they've put a little more in the overheads. I thought the rears were more active, too, but I might have been misremembering the first Atmos mix (and conflating it with most of the other early Blue Note catalog mixes, which were underwhelming in that regard). I've gone back and weaselled my language accordingly.

I don't have the 5.1, so can't weigh in on that.

I thought Giles Martin didn’t think the technology was good enough yet which is why we haven’t seen super deluxe editions of Revolver, Rubber Soul, etc?
I think most of this is accurate……….it was used it heavily for Hollywood Bowl. Also in spots on Sgt Pepper. used sparingly on Abbey Road, White and LIB because they had all source tracks and most of it on 8trak. I think he felt it’s not quite ready yet for Revolver and RS because a lot of the 4tracks have multiple reduction mixes, with several instruments. More instruments the harder it is to separate them. I corresponding with one of the guys who invented the technology. Really interesting.

On Apple, in CanaDuh, the only track that plays is "Big in Japan-symph version-single edit.

Is this entire LP available on Apple anywhere else?

My lord the low end on this is like soft fat thunder

Right at last closing second i felt it and so did my windows

Attachments

• C391951A-1B16-46EB-BBAB-F9F51DA3840D.jpeg
    C391951A-1B16-46EB-BBAB-F9F51DA3840D.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 34
After seeing all the releases on here I finally broke down and bought an ATV4K and spent the last two days going through this thread and building a library to listen to. First impression of it all is that the platform is a POS with it's horrible little remote and frustratingly difficult search , browse, find what you're looking for and trying to figure out if you've found the file you want. I did add a bluetooth keyboard which helped a bunch, but it still is a crappy interface. I only have a 5.1 setup and so far have only been able to listen to my downstairs, small system. Looking forward to getting a chance to play it on the big system but find it hard to find time and will eventually have to do some rewiring of the house to make it simpler than carrying the box up there.

The one release that pushed me over the top to get it was Joe Bonamassa's Time Clocks so that was the first thing I listened to. It's been my favorite release by anybody over the last year of two and every time I would listen to it I would think how good it would sound with a good surround mix. And it didn't disappoint. A great release that I would spend real money on in a heartbeat if I could buy a physical release. There's even a guitar part on Curtain Call that every time I listened to it I thought about how it should swirl the room on a good mix and Bob Clearmountain did just that. Was off to a great start!

Next I tried the new Bonnie Raitt and it is a useless surround mix which is very disappointing considering how good the Nick of Time dvd-a sounds. So it's not all a world of milk and honey. Next I went to BOC's Tyranny and Mutation and while it was great having it in quad, it seemed in need of some EQ help, sounded kind of shrill, but it never was an audiophile recording. I will compare 7 Screaming Dizbusters to the AF sampler disc that had that one at some point. Played the Tom Petty Angel's Dream which I had never heard and loved it. Great music and also seemed like a better surround presentation than his earlier blurays, although I did like those.

I've found a lot to like but it's weird how there will be just one song off an album that was done in surround and a lot of what is done seems odd to me. Have loved the old Motown stuff but some of the old stuff that was probably recorded on primitive equipment seems like the Atmos doesn't bring out a lot. But if they keep up with the releases, I will gladly pay the monthly fee if they don't get greedy and start to raise prices regularly.

K

After seeing all the releases on here I finally broke down and bought an ATV4K and spent the last two days going through this thread and building a library to listen to. First impression of it all is that the platform is a POS with it's horrible little remote and frustratingly difficult search , browse, find what you're looking for and trying to figure out if you've found the file you want. I did add a bluetooth keyboard which helped a bunch, but it still is a crappy interface. I only have a 5.1 setup and so far have only been able to listen to my downstairs, small system. Looking forward to getting a chance to play it on the big system but find it hard to find time and will eventually have to do some rewiring of the house to make it simpler than carrying the box up there.

The one release that pushed me over the top to get it was Joe Bonamassa's Time Clocks so that was the first thing I listened to. It's been my favorite release by anybody over the last year of two and every time I would listen to it I would think how good it would sound with a good surround mix. And it didn't disappoint. A great release that I would spend real money on in a heartbeat if I could buy a physical release. There's even a guitar part on Curtain Call that every time I listened to it I thought about how it should swirl the room on a good mix and Bob Clearmountain did just that. Was off to a great start!

Next I tried the new Bonnie Raitt and it is a useless surround mix which is very disappointing considering how good the Nick of Time dvd-a sounds. So it's not all a world of milk and honey. Next I went to BOC's Tyranny and Mutation and while it was great having it in quad, it seemed in need of some EQ help, sounded kind of shrill, but it never was an audiophile recording. I will compare 7 Screaming Dizbusters to the AF sampler disc that had that one at some point. Played the Tom Petty Angel's Dream which I had never heard and loved it. Great music and also seemed like a better surround presentation than his earlier blurays, although I did like those.

I've found a lot to like but it's weird how there will be just one song off an album that was done in surround and a lot of what is done seems odd to me. Have loved the old Motown stuff but some of the old stuff that was probably recorded on primitive equipment seems like the Atmos doesn't bring out a lot. But if they keep up with the releases, I will gladly pay the monthly fee if they don't get greedy and start to raise prices regularly.

K

I would never try to manage my library on the AppleTV alone. Use a Mac (Music) or PC (iTunes) to search and add things to your library, then listen to your playlists on the AppleTV.

I would never try to manage my library on the AppleTV alone. Use a Mac (Music) or PC (iTunes) to search and add things to your library, then listen to your playlists on the AppleTV.
I just use Apple Music on my PC, click on links that is found in this thread and add it to my library. Have to log out and in again to get it to add, though.

5 versions of the album there - and this is the one:
https://tidal.com/album/226238502Mix by Dustin Richardson - really quad-like sounding in 5.1, happy to "have" this!
I will have to listen again, as I did not hear anything at all coming from the rears from my listening position. I only listened to a couple of tracks though.

Back