Lost in the Sixties!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Yardbirds," "Roger The Engineer," "Over, Under, Sideways, Down"...no matter what name you know this album by, it is arguably the Yardbirds best, bursting with psychedelic abandonment and some blazing Jeff Beck guitar work. It's bold and adventurous and it's loaded with great tunes. I play it frequently and it still stands the test of time. It's a sixties original and if you've never experienced it, you owe it to yourself to do so. Check out these highlights!

Yardbirds (front).jpg

Yardbirds (back).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have an early 80's mono 1/2 speed LP of Roger the Engineer on Epic.
CBS Mastersound

More 60's time travel:

Rest in Peace - Chad & Jeremy
this was released as a single. No way!?!

Diddy Wah Diddy - Captain Beefheart

Magical World - Rotary Connection feat. Minnie Ripperton

My World Fell Down - Sagittarius 45 version (feat bullfight sequence)
Gary Usher and Curt Boettcher plus many friends:
Glen Campbell, Bruce Johnston, Terry Melcher and others rumored to appear
Bullfight reported to be from aborted Smile Sessions courtesy of Brian Wilson

Have an early 80's mono 1/2 speed LP of Roger the Engineer on Epic.
CBS Mastersound

More 60's time travel:

Rest in Peace - Chad & Jeremy
this was released as a single. No way!?!

Diddy Wah Diddy - Captain Beefheart

Magical World - Rotary Connection feat. Minnie Ripperton

My World Fell Down - Sagittarius 45 version (feat bullfight sequence)
Gary Usher and Curt Boettcher plus many friends:
Glen Campbell, Bruce Johnston, Terry Melcher and others rumored to appear
Bullfight reported to be from aborted Smile Sessions courtesy of Brian Wilson

I have and love all of these, QL! Decades ago when I worked in radio, I played them all, too. LOL!

BTW, I remember playing the heck out of this single. To this day, I can't imagine why it wasn't a huge hit for Chad & Jeremy. Terrific song...horrible flick.

Last edited:
That's a BGO release so it should have decent sound. Amazon has it up for preorder, too, for $17.99.
Screen Shot 2024-02-18 at 2.57.06 PM.png

Be careful when ordering. There is an existing release with very similar cover art that has horrendous sound quality.
Screen Shot 2024-02-18 at 2.56.35 PM.png

That's a BGO release so it should have decent sound. Amazon has it up for preorder, too, for $17.99.
View attachment 101712

Be careful when ordering. There is an existing release with very similar cover art that has horrendous sound quality.
View attachment 101713
I do have several BGO RBCD releases and concur they do sound pretty amazing. Thanks for the clarification between the two releases!

Ars Nova is one of those bands that had everything going for it. Signed to a major label...check. A top-notch, highly successful producer...check. Compelling album art...check. Lots of pre-release hype for their debut album...check. Yet, they never quite clicked. They DID release a very interesting slab of vinyl that appeared to be on point for what was going down in 1968. If you are unfamiliar with the band, think medieval sounding B, S & T type horn band with dissonant harmonies and esoteric chord structures, and well, you'll you get the idea. There is some great music to be found here, but admittedly, it's not for everyone...and it certainly wasn't back in 1968! ;):cool:

Ars Nova (front).jpg

Ars Nova (back).jpg

I can't find it now but I remember reading a rave review of Ars Nova's first album in either Stereo Review or High Fidelity back then. The review also remarked on Elektra's superior sonic quality recordings and that can also be heard with The Doors records of the day.

Doug

I can't find it now but I remember reading a rave review of Ars Nova's first album in either Stereo Review or High Fidelity back then. The review also remarked on Elektra's superior sonic quality recordings and that can also be heard with The Doors records of the day.

Doug
Like I say, there was much hype on Ars Nova prior to the release of their Elektra debut album. The band was featured prominently in splashy LIFE magazine spread on the burgeoning new rock scene in the late sixties. Rothchild was riding high on his Doors success and all signs were pointing to a huge launch. But, it was not to be.

When discussing the most underrated sixties groups, Honeybus has to be near the top of any list. They never crossed the pond, so to speak. And, they only had moderate chart success in the UK, aside from "Can't Let Maggie Go." But, man, the music. Just incredible and expertly produced. Criminally underrated, every mid to late sixties music aficionado needs some Honeybus in their life!

Honeybus (front).jpg

Honeybus (back).jpg

Wow Fields of People by Ars Nova
Since the 70s I have known and loved the Move album Shazzam and always loved their song/jam Fields of People.
I am now blown away that it was a cover version they did not originate. Great song.
I can see buying five new CDs based on this thread so far......

This thread is a spinoff and an outgrowth of "Listening now to this stereo/mono CD." Some of us inadvertently hijacked that thread with our classic '60s blathering, so now, we have our own dedicated space where we can pontificate our little hearts out about the greatest era in rock music.
Uncle Obscure is this thread meant to cover the whole 60's decade?

Ahh, the 60s! They started with our family escaping from Michigan to SoCal, me turning 13, junior high and high school, getting my driver’s license, dates, two freshman years of college, the Army, and finally getting my bachelor pad.

During my first freshman year at Washington State, I messed around (hard to say it was work) at their two radio stations, and was exposed to a few kids who actually knew something about music. Now, Pullman was definitely a backwater in those days, and the closest thing to a good radio station was in Spokane (not a big city, either, and virtually inaccessible to someone without a car), but we did have some exposure to new stuff.

TBH, I hadn't given it that much thought. I was feeling a bit guilty that I had inadvertently hijacked the "Listening now to this stereo/mono CD" thread and suggested moving the convo to a new one dedicated to the Sixties discussion I started there. IMO, anything '60s is fair game here, but it's a HUGE decade musically, so perhaps a bit of narrowing is in order. What say you all?

Since it says 60's, I take that as being 1960-69. Any kind of music would be good, too! Occasionally, some non-rock crossed over.

For months, I've been wanting to break out my 2ch LP of Ars Nova. Admittedly, one of my least played LP's.

Joe Cocker did a great cover of "Do I Still Figure on Your Life" on Honeybus.

Some more 60's:

Indian Rope Man- Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & the Trinity
covering Havens, a big hit in UK, barely a ripple in US
"kiss him quick, he has to part"

It's Crazy - Eddie Harris

Haunted House - Jumpin' Gene Simmons
charted high in '64

I Love You So Much - New Colony Six

And, then from the deepest, darkest recesses of the 1968 psychedelishere comes Harumi! This album caught my attention because it was issued on Verve Forecast. I was a huge Mothers Of Invention fan at the time, and, if I liked a particular act or a previous release from a certain label, I tended to "blind buy" other LPs they put out, looking for the next BIG THING. That's how Harumi crept into my life. Produced by the incomparable Tom Wilson (Dylan, Mothers, Simon & Garfunkel, etc.,) this lavish 2-disk debut LP is an acid-drenched, genre bending one man tour-de-force. Tracks 12 & 13 each took up the whole side (3 & 4) of the original vinyl. Today it is nothing more than a tiny blip in the annals of sixties psych-pop, but it sure did affect me at the time. Here's a taste.

Harumi (front).jpg

Harumi (back).jpg

Back