Lost in the Sixties!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since it says 60's, I take that as being 1960-69. Any kind of music would be good, too! Occasionally, some non-rock crossed over.

For months, I've been wanting to break out my 2ch LP of Ars Nova. Admittedly, one of my least played LP's.

Joe Cocker did a great cover of "Do I Still Figure on Your Life" on Honeybus.

Some more 60's:

Indian Rope Man- Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & the Trinity
covering Havens, a big hit in UK, barely a ripple in US
"kiss him quick, he has to part"

That Eddie Harris and New Colony Six...WOW! Great tunes!:love:

I think I had Streetnoise on cassette......possibly bought as a cut out from Radio Shack... I bought a couple of Beethoven cassettes there I still have

And I have the Harumi album on Verve given to me by a good friend along with other records like Sun Ra when he downsized his record collection.

He also gave me what is my second copy of United States of America a very quirky ahead of its time record some rock some electronic music.
If someone could put up a couple of MP3s its worth checking out.

Although it could go either way, some people define the 60s as starting in 63 and going to 72, might be best to confine this thread to the decade and possibly start another covering 1970 to 1972.

When Marshall Chess decided to act on his original idea of creating a multiracial, psychedelic progressive rock band, Rotary Connection was born. The fact that he held the keys to his father's recording studio at Chess Records, obviously didn't hurt, either. He was also blessed to be able to include the surreal five octave vocal range stylings of Minnie Riperton (Maya Rudolph's mother) as a group member. Her beautiful, distinctive voice is put to excellent use on songs like "Black Noise / Memory Band," a trippy homage to the "La La" background music tracks that were popular with many foreign films of the day. Beautifully recorded with top-tier production, Rotary Connection's debut album is a winner and a true original!

Rotary Connection (front).jpg

Rotary Connection (back).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I had Streetnoise on cassette......possibly bought as a cut out from Radio Shack... I bought a couple of Beethoven cassettes there I still have

And I have the Harumi album on Verve given to me by a good friend along with other records like Sun Ra when he downsized his record collection.

He also gave me what is my second copy of United States of America a very quirky ahead of its time record some rock some electronic music.
If someone could put up a couple of MP3s its worth checking out.

Although it could go either way, some people define the 60s as starting in 63 and going to 72, might be best to confine this thread to the decade and possibly start another covering 1970 to 1972.
I have the United States Of America and its (more or less) followup by Joe Byrd and the Field Hippies. I will post a couple of MP3s.

When Marshall Chess decided to act on his original idea of creating a multiracial, psychedelic progressive rock band, Rotary Connection was born. The fact that he held the keys to his father's recording studio at Chess Records, obviously didn't hurt, either. He was also blessed to be able to include the surreal five octave vocal range stylings of Minnie Riperton (Maya Rudolph's mother) as a group member. Her beautiful, distinctive voice is put to excellent use on songs like "Black Noise / Memory Band," a trippy homage to the "La La" background music tracks that were popular with many foreign films of the day. Beautifully recorded with top-tier production, Rotary Connection's debut album is a winner and a true original!

View attachment 101748
View attachment 101749

Rotary Connection - Black Noise / Memory Band (1968)
View attachment 101750

Rotary Connection - Turn Me On (1968)
View attachment 101751

Rotary Connection - Didn't Want To Have To Do It (1968)
View attachment 101752
That album was in the PX where I was stationed for over a year. If I recall correctly, it cost $2.50, but nobody bought it for ages. Finally somebody did, and when he was asked about it, he wasn't enthusiastic. Of course, If I knew then what I know now (Minnie Ripperton being on the album), it would have been mine well ahead of that.

That album was in the PX where I was stationed for over a year. If I recall correctly, it cost $2.50, but nobody bought it for ages. Finally somebody did, and when he was asked about it, he wasn't enthusiastic. Of course, If I knew then what I know now (Minnie Ripperton being on the album), it would have been mine well ahead of that.
I hear you. Twenty-twenty hindsight can be brutal sometimes! :ROFLMAO:

Please 'indulge' me, but the 60's also introduced this young buck who was building up an Open Reel collection [pre QUAD] to a remarkable songstress who has all but been forgotten as a sensational interpreter of pop/jazz standards. MGM had released three of her albums on pre recorded Open Reel which at the time sounded somewhat audiophile and while everyone around me was spinning the latest rock psychedelia.....I fell in love with

R.1cca1d6c277d652d0b71f87825c9f4c7

LAINIE KAZAN

One of my absolute favs was her LOVE ALBUM arranged by Claus Ogerman on the MGM label and AFAIK, it has never been released on RBCD! Her rendition of NATURE BOY to this day remains unique and simply gorgeous!

Lainie Kazan The Love Album UK vinyl LP album (LP record) (550828)

Last edited by a moderator:
Please 'indulge' me, but the 60's also introduced this young buck who was building up an Open Reel collection [pre QUAD] to a remarkable songstress who has all but been forgotten as a sensational interpreter of pop/jazz standards. MGM had released three of her albums on pre recorded Open Reel which at the time sounded somewhat audiophile and while everyone around me was spinning the latest rock psychedelia.....I fell in love with

R.1cca1d6c277d652d0b71f87825c9f4c7

LAINIE KAZAN

One of my absolute favs was her LOVE ALBUM arranged by Claus Ogerman on the MGM label and AFAIK, it has never been released on RBCD! Her rendition of NATURE BOY to this day remains unique and simply gorgeous!

Lainie Kazan The Love Album UK vinyl LP album (LP record) (550828)

That rendition of "Nature Boy" is stellar! Thanks for sharing. Whenever I think of Lanie Kazan, I always hearken back to her outrageously funny, scene-stealing performance in Richard Benjamin's, My Favorite Year. It's a classic.

That rendition of "Nature Boy" is stellar! Thanks for sharing. Whenever I think of Lanie Kazan, I always hearken back to her outrageously funny, scene-stealing performance in Richard Benjamin's, My Favorite Year. It's a classic.
A funny anecdote from Lainie regarding her role in MY FAVORITE YEAR which by the way is brilliant and hysterically FUNNY

Yes 4ears I enjoyed that version of Nature Boy that first photo of her you posted goes well with it.....

Rotary Connection. Found a beat up copy of the first album at a thrift store in Palm Springs during one of my visits out there. I understand they had 3 albums been meaning to look for a collection.

Some of this music I am happy to have discovered as an adult with more developed tastes I would have blown much of it off as an impatient teenager.

Another album cover with a fish eye lens photo. I used to covet one of those lenses but unaffordable for me.
Is the rest of that album as good as this song?

Another album cover with a fish eye lens photo. I used to covet one of those lenses but unaffordable for me.
Is the rest of that album as good as this song?
I LOVED MY fisheye Lens which came with a slew of color filters including SEPIA. And at the time, it didn't break the bank. My NIKON loved it but it was so freakin' wide that I had to ensure my bod didn't get in the picture. Mine was manufactured by SOLIGOR and I found this listing on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3647317063...044&customid=6a94d3eb4c271291c9b1b6388293d087

Last edited:
Back