Lost in the Sixties!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And then there was the Young Prince of the Sixties ..... one Donovan Leitch .... with his lilting voice, gentle demeanor and gorgeous melodies .......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bmruh9tKxM

Donovan - Wear Your Love Like Heaven | Upcoming Vinyl (December 7, 2018)

Donovan : Best Ever Albums

R.9f779d65efebd445680fc8197b170466

Donovan - A Gift From A Flower To A Garden (1967, Vinyl) | Discogs

R.ea42e40360e23aef8bd783ffbde3c90b

Donovan - Donovan's Greatest Hits (2017, Vinyl) | Discogs

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Donovan was wonderful. "Lalena" one of the saddest songs of the era.

I want to put up this Donovan song, too. Probably his most psychedelic:

Doug

Great iconic solo by the late Allan Holdsworth. Jimmy Page also played on the session, along with John Paul Jones and Clem Cattini on the explosive sounding drum kit. Donovan wanted Hendrix to play the solo but Jimi was out of town at the time.

Last edited:
And then there was the Young Prince of the Sixties ..... one Donovan Leitch .... with his lilting voice, gentle demeanor and gorgeous melodies .......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bmruh9tKxM

Donovan - Wear Your Love Like Heaven | Upcoming Vinyl (December 7, 2018)

Donovan : Best Ever Albums

R.9f779d65efebd445680fc8197b170466

Donovan - A Gift From A Flower To A Garden (1967, Vinyl) | Discogs

R.ea42e40360e23aef8bd783ffbde3c90b

Donovan - Donovan's Greatest Hits (2017, Vinyl) | Discogs's Greatest Hits (2017, Vinyl) | Discogs

Being a big Donovan fan, I owned those last three albums that you show. Judy Collins does the best ever cover of “Sunny Goodge Street.” While in India with the Fab Four, Donovan introduced them to a guitar (and banjo) technique called “clawhammer.” They immediately put it to use on parts of the so called “White Album.”

I don’t think I’d going out on a limb in guessing that Mr. Ralph loves his shirt!

Last edited:
I agree with Quad Linda 1960-1969. Personally I don't care what the topic or decade is I just love engaging in conversation about music and happy to see the conversation broaden and sharing of tunes. I'm an old hippie and the late 50's - 60's were my wonder years. That said I was exposed to music an early age. When I was a young whippersnapper my dad would take us to visit his folks and my grandmother would play boogie woogie music on her piano, she was really good! My folks were of the WWII generation, we didn't' have a TV but did have a radio. We'd go to bed with the radio playing in the other room and as we drifted off to sleep listening to easy listening like Sinatra, Dean Martin, Cab Calloway, Glenn Miller etc. and radio shows like "The Whistler", "The Shadow", "The Lone Ranger", etc., a couple of my uncles were into country so I was exposed to Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, etc., I had a teacher in the 6th grade who had a music appreciation class and was exposed to classical music, the "Grand Canyon Suite" is a favorite of mine because of him. Music of all kinds has been an huge part of my life and always will. In the mid 50's and early 60's music was my constant companion through the teenage angst years. During the late 60's music became the voice of the times, War, racism, social issues and was a big part of the social conscience which is when I became socially aware of issues I'd never given much thought to. It was the beginning of my hippie days and began to think we could change the world and "All You Need Is Love". Now I'm still mostly PEACE, LOVE & MUSIC and a little go fuck yourself! I find it amazing that so many songs from the past are still relevant today like Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On", absolutely criminal that album has not been given the Dolby Atmos treatment, also songs like Spirits "Natures Way", I'm sure everyone can name one. So whatever kind of music you want to discuss, count me in. My apologies for rambling on, one thing about getting old is reminiscing is a lot of fun and the older I get the more I do it. I have a T-Shirt that says, "I may be old but I got to see all the cool bands", yep!
Great reminiscences! My path was along similar lines, although my journey may have started a tad later. I agree with you 110% about the What's Going On album. Someone at UMG definitely pulled the masters from the vault in the early 2,000's since "What's Going On" and "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" both wound up in fantastic sounding, discreet 5.1 surround on The Marvin Gaye Collection, hybrid SACD and DVD-Audio discs. UMG did release a 5.1 surround version of Let's Get It On in both formats around the same time, so I suspect What's Going On was somewhere in the pipeline, but never made it out the door. I think it's a great candidate for the SDE treatment.

Speaking of the "Grand Canyon Suite," check out this Yardbirds track from Roger The Engineer!

Yardbirds - I Can't Make Your Way (1966)

Last edited:
If you remember the classic Iron Eyes Cody, generational marker of a PSA, then you know Peter Sarstedt.

The background track used for the ubiquitous, indelible Keep America Beautiful public service campaign was lifted from Peter Sarstedt's 1969 debut album, As Though It Were A Movie.

Peter Sarstedt (front).jpg

Peter Sarstedt (back).jpg

At times, somewhat reminiscent of Donovan, As Though It Were A Movie is an interesting listen with some memorable melodies that still run through my brain decades later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a chance to meet Donovan at Beatlefest. He was impressed that I had UK Open Road & HMS Donovan which he autographed. Most gracious.

On a late Sunday Morning, we were invited to meet Judy Collins. She couldn't have been nicer. She invited my (then) 9 y. o. daughter to sit on the piano bench while Judy played.

Bought all those Five Americans singles, Doug. There have been a couple great compilations of their hits on CD.

A few more reminiscences :

Mendocino - Sir Douglas Quintet

Monkey Time - Major Lance
Written and produced by Curtis Mayfield

Once Upon an Everyday - Peter Sarstedt

But It's Alright - JJ Jackson
from Dick Clark's Where the Action Is

Got a chance to meet Donovan at Beatlefest. He was impressed that I had UK Open Road & HMS Donovan which he autographed. Most gracious.

On a late Sunday Morning, we were invited to meet Judy Collins. She couldn't have been nicer. She invited my (then) 9 y. o. daughter to sit on the piano bench while Judy played.

Bought all those Five Americans singles, Doug. There have been a couple great compilations of their hits on CD.
Here's a Five Americans bubblegum earworm I stumbled upon in a CD I picked up a few years ago. I had never heard it before, but it's catchy as hell.

The Five Americans - Lovin' Is Living (1969?)

This thread is like the new cocaine.
I've spent hours on it listening and reading.
Music is a bottomless pit you can never exhaust it.

I've been silent, but I'm like you. I've been scouring Discogs looking for some good quality original pressings. A little hard to find, or some cases, too expensive.

Just out of curiosity, how many here used to read TeenSet (later renamed AUM,) Cheetah, or EYE magazine? There was a period of time when these were my music bibles.

BTW, AUM stood for "America's Under 30 Magazine." Yikes!

Back