Lost in the Sixties!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's fantastic! Thanks for sharing. I will never forget sitting in the school cafeteria reading in amazement, Domenic Priore's,"Goodbye Surfing Hello God!" in a dog-eared copy of Cheetah magazine. What was this strange album that Brian Wilson was working on? A teenage symphony to God, really? Magic Fire Music? Mind Gangsters?? I thought my head would explode with excitement and anticipation. If I had any inkling how many decades I would have to wait before I finally got to hear SMiLE, I would have given up eons ago! LOL! ;) :ROFLMAO:

I just ran across that article (online) last month, there was some great music journalism in those days.

https://magazine.atavist.com/goodbye-surfing-hello-god/

1708495156965.png

1708495239845.png

Last edited by a moderator:
People / I Love You (1968) There's a personal connection with this post and a couple more. I went to Campbell High School, CA and Gene Mason and Larry Norman (Larry is considered by some to the Godfather of Christian rock) I was a freshman and they were sophomores. I was acquainted with Gene and hung out a lunch and Larry in passing. Al Ribisi the keyboard player is the father of the fine actor Giovanni Ribisi. I saw these guys many times in the local venues including our high school. During the mid sixties there were a lot of bands in San Francisco, Santa Clara, San Jose, Santa Cruz and adjacent areas. I was also in a band at that time and seems like everybody knew about most of the bands and who was in them and how good they were or weren't. Their 1st album, featured here had the hit "I Love You" a Zombie's song. After the 2nd album I believe Larry started the Christian Rock movement. For your listening pleasure here's the hit:

"I Love You"

"What We Need Is A Lot More Jesus And A Lot Less Rock N' Roll" - This might have been an indication that Larry was headed toward Christian Rock.
People:I Love You.jpg

Chocolate Watch Band / The Inner Mystique (1967) This band features another Campbell High, CA alumni, Dave Aguilar who was a senior my freshman year. He lived just a few blocks away from the school. From time to time when walking home they'd be practicing in his garage so we'd pop over and listen. They were big fans of the Stones and Dave sounded a lot like Jagger and his performance was similar. Saw them many times live, they did a great version of "Going Home" from the Stones "Aftermath" album. Mark Loomis looked like Brian Jones and was an excellent guitar player. They recorded a few albums but were never very commercially successful. For your listening pleasure here's their 1st and 2nd singles:

"Sweet Young Thing"

"Baby Blue"
Chocolate Watch Band:The Inner Mystique.jpg

Count Five / Psychotic Reaction (1966) - John "Mouse" Michalski was a friend and part of a group of us from Campbell High, Westmont High and Blackford High that hung out at Saratoga Lanes, San Jose, CA. playing pool, drinking, smoking etc. as most teenagers did then. Mouse was a big fan of the Yardbirds and The Who and you can tell as the beginning of Pyshotic Reation. When Mouse got his first check he bought a brand new maroon Oldsmobile Tornado, he immediately drove to the bowling alley to show it off. We went cruising around smoking some fine herb and had a great time. Unfortunately they like most of the one hit wonder bands did not have a lot of success but Mouse enjoyed it while it lasted. So for your listening pleasure here's the hit that launched them into stardom:

"Psychotic Reaction"
Count Five.jpg

The E-types / Introducing The E-types (1966) - From Salinas, CA the E-types were a very popular cover band and very good. They won some battle of the bands and were invited to play the coveted venue of "The Coconut Grove" in Santa Cruz. We were a cover band and won some battle of the bands but were never invited to play the "Grove", I'm pissed!!! Shortly after that they went into the studio and made their 1st two recording which I have here for your listening pleasure:

"I Can't Do It"

"Long Before"
E-types.jpg

The Beau Brummels / Introducing (1965) - Produced by Sly Stewart (Sly Stone) the Beau Brummels and were covered by many of the local bands including mine. Right up there with the likes of the Byrds, Love etc. had a number of big hits most everybody is familiar with. Here are 2 of my favorites from this album for your listening pleasure:

"Laugh, Laugh"

"Just A Little"
Beau Brummels:Introducing.jpg

Jamie Brockett / Remember The Wind And The Rain (1969) *note, the back cover says it was released in 1971 but is incorrect. Another obscure artist that I don't know a lot about but his humorous tunes trip me out similar to Arlo Guthrie. For shits and giggles and your listening pleasure:

"Talking Green Beret New Super Yellow Hydraulic Banana Teeny Bopper Blues"

"Legend Of The U.S.S. Titanic"
Jamie Brockett.jpg

David Frye / I Am The President (1969) - David Frye did a great impersonation of "Tricky Dick" and if your ready to get high with the Dick, here ya go:

"A Presidential Trip"
David Frye.jpg

I was in high school in the early 60s (class of ‘65) in Orange County, CA, in the heart of the surf music era, and I felt pretty priveliged to be in the middle of a pop revolution.

We always had dances with local bands after the football games, and one of those bands was The Chantays, who were at a rival high school.

Jamie Brockett / Remember The Wind And The Rain (1969)

"Legend Of The U.S.S. Titanic"
View attachment 101865
View attachment 101866
Titanic was in heavy rotation on Clyde Clifford's Beaker Street and burned into my teenage brain 55 years ago, to the point I never need to listen to it again.

The strong nighttime signal of 50,000 watt, clear channel KAAY meant that it was possible to regularly listen to the station's nighttime programming in a wide area of the midwest and south. KAAY's late-night "footprint" gained fans as far west as Wyoming and Montana, north to the Dakotas and Manitoba and south as far as New Orleans and into Florida.

This strong broadcast signal enabled Beaker Street to deliver the music of the late 1960s counterculture to many smaller cities and towns in America, where such music could not otherwise be heard over the air waves.[1] Beaker Street attracted a legion of fans across the Midwest with its pioneering format, which featured long album cuts from rock artists who otherwise would not get commercial radio airplay outside of large cities with freeform or progressive rock stations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaker_Street

So many great memories!

Samba Blim - Tamba 4
Bossa Nova!

Fat City - Sons of Champlin 1967
Two years before Loosen Up Naturally,Sons recorded this single

Rainy Windows - Bonnie Dobson
Canadian folk singer who penned Morning Dew

Omaha - Moby Grape
of over 20,000 albums, Moby Grape's 1st would be the ONE I'd take on an island

Titanic was in heavy rotation on Clyde Clifford's Beaker Street and burned into my teenage brain 55 years ago, to the point I never need to listen to it again.

The strong nighttime signal of 50,000 watt, clear channel KAAY meant that it was possible to regularly listen to the station's nighttime programming in a wide area of the midwest and south. KAAY's late-night "footprint" gained fans as far west as Wyoming and Montana, north to the Dakotas and Manitoba and south as far as New Orleans and into Florida.

This strong broadcast signal enabled Beaker Street to deliver the music of the late 1960s counterculture to many smaller cities and towns in America, where such music could not otherwise be heard over the air waves.[1] Beaker Street attracted a legion of fans across the Midwest with its pioneering format, which featured long album cuts from rock artists who otherwise would not get commercial radio airplay outside of large cities with freeform or progressive rock stations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaker_Street

Yup. listened up here in Minnesota!

Doug

I just ran across that article (online) last month, there was some great music journalism in those days.

https://magazine.atavist.com/goodbye-surfing-hello-god/

View attachment 101845

View attachment 101846

Domenic Priore wound up compiling a book based around his Cheetah article. Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE! is a 300 page tome of nearly everything ever written in the music press about the ill-fated album. I believe it periodically still goes in and out of print. It's a fantastic look back at the mid-Sixties music scene and serves as a marvelous companion to the SMiLE Sessions boxset. It's authoritative, and at times, exhausting (LOL.) If you're a fan, my advice is to track down a copy and get in the weeds with it. You won't regret it.

View attachment Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE! (front).jpg

View attachment Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE! (back).jpg

Another dip:

Slick - Herb Alpert
Have seen Herb seven times and met him a few times.
My Husband asked me out to see Herb on our 1st date!
Little did he know, Herb is one of my favorite artists.
Sounds more modern jazz than typical TJB

Soul Drippin' - The Mauds
arrangement by CTA, a year before their 1st album.
Lamm, Pankow, Loughnane & Parazaider guest

Outside a Small Circle of Friends - Phil Ochs
Live in Vancouver
In the late 90's, I attended a tribute concert at the Bottom Line in NYC
Sonny Ochs (Phil's Sister) sat next to me!

Two for the Price of One - Larry Williams & Johnny Guitar Watson
Boyce & Hart covered this on their "I Wonder What..." album

So many great memories!

Samba Blim - Tamba 4
Bossa Nova!

Fat City - Sons of Champlin 1967
Two years before Loosen Up Naturally,Sons recorded this single

Rainy Windows - Bonnie Dobson
Canadian folk singer who penned Morning Dew

Omaha - Moby Grape
of over 20,000 albums, Moby Grape's 1st would be the ONE I'd take on an island

Don’t forget “Sittin’ By The Window” and “Hey Grandma.”