Lost in the Sixties!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking of this thread when I stuck this in the Quadio album requests!

The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band's "Gorilla" from 1967 would be a scream in surround!
1708436625306.png
1708436709757.png

Here's another album that holds an indelible place in my memory bank, The Moth Confesses, by the Neon Philharmonic. I vividly recall hearing "Morning Girl" for the first time on the local Top 40 station and it stopped me in my tracks. Mesmerizing from start to finish.

View attachment 101813
View attachment 101814

The Neon Philharmonic - Morning Girl (1969)
View attachment 101815

The Neon Philharmonic - The Last Time I Saw Jacqueline (1969)
View attachment 101816

The Neon Philharmonic - Morning Girl Later (1969)
View attachment 101817

Just bought a MINT copy from an original Terre Haute, IN pressing.

1708475417441.png

Here is another great group
They had two hits Live and Youre A Very Lovely Woman.
Emmett Rhodes was the star of this group very Paul Mcartney like.
I have the original album and saw him in a club tour probably 20 years ago.
This is a good collection of their only album and singles.

And since GOS is buying up all the original vinyl pressings of these artists you can get this complete CD collection of the Neon Philharmonic

1708475699996.png

The first Nazz album with its "Meet The Beatles" homage front cover design, was a strong, audacious debut effort. "Open My Eyes" is a thrilling album opener and the original version of "Hello It's Me" is pure icing on the cake. As good as that record is, when Nazz Nazz came along in May 1969, it totally blew me away! No sophomore jinx here. From "Hang On Paul" to "Meridian Leeward," this thing cooks!

Nazz Nazz (front).jpg

Nazz Nazz (back).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a chance to meet Donovan at Beatlefest. He was impressed that I had UK Open Road & HMS Donovan which he autographed. Most gracious.

On a late Sunday Morning, we were invited to meet Judy Collins. She couldn't have been nicer. She invited my (then) 9 y. o. daughter to sit on the piano bench while Judy played.

Bought all those Five Americans singles, Doug. There have been a couple great compilations of their hits on CD.

A few more reminiscences :

Mendocino - Sir Douglas Quintet

Monkey Time - Major Lance
Written and produced by Curtis Mayfield

Once Upon an Everyday - Peter Sarstedt

But It's Alright - JJ Jackson
from Dick Clark's Where the Action Is

Wow ... youi've met so many fantastic musicians in your life, QL. Must have been an ultimate trip!

My next entry into the SIXTIES REVOLUTION will be the pervasive FOLK MOVEMENT which any self respecting hippy embraced during that time period.

And of course Judy and Joan will be among the folkies but there are so many more lesser known artists who enriched that period with glorious contributions and hopefully will cover them in detail!

And I'd like to add this fantastic sounding Audio Fidelity Stereo SACD to the DONOVAN legacy and it's still available from various retailers and comes VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

6123oK+WVPL.jpg

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=1337#tracks

Last edited:
These pages were taped to the ceiling above my bed in 1969.
I bought only one or two issues of EYE magazine from the grocery store newstand in my tiny rural town on the Kansas-Nebraska border.

From my archive:

View attachment 101827

View attachment 101830

View attachment 101832

View attachment 101833
That's fantastic! Thanks for sharing. I will never forget sitting in the school cafeteria reading in amazement, Domenic Priore's,"Goodbye Surfing Hello God!" in a dog-eared copy of Cheetah magazine. What was this strange album that Brian Wilson was working on? A teenage symphony to God, really? Magic Fire Music? Mind Gangsters?? I thought my head would explode with excitement and anticipation. If I had any inkling how many decades I would have to wait before I finally got to hear SMiLE, I would have given up eons ago! LOL! ;) :ROFLMAO:

And what would the Sixties be without the iconic Dick Clark's amazing AMERICAN BANDSTAND which I watched religiously when I came home from Catholic grammar school [where I had the NUNS for 9 grueling years!!!!!] Clark had the greatest acts on his show throughout the 60's including teen heart throbs Frankie Avalon, Bobby Darin, Annette Funicello, Fabian Forte, Chubby Checkers [the TWIST!], Paul Anka, Brenda Lee, Neil Sedaka, Nancy Sinatra and hundreds of other pop artists. Below is a complete episode of American Bandstand from 1963 in Glorious Black and White:

And heart throb Frankie Avalon's VENUS

And 16 year old Fabian Forte on American Bandstand

R.5a2664d81014dac3075ede3b0a761aa3

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey 4ears loved seeing the pre Lee Hazelwood Nancy Sinatra on Dick Clark
A time machine to 60 years ago.
What a change you went thru from a dancer on the show to the cover of Elephants Memory
Well Jeffie, when you TURN ME LOOSE [as Fabian suggests] ....ANTHING GOES!

Back