Lost in the Sixties!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a really nice song 4ears by Circus Maximus.

Which brings me to related subject.
There are many 2 and 3 cd collections out there that concentrate on late 60s and early 70s musical groups and styles
I know Circus Maximus from a song Travelin Around on a CD called Follow Me Down Vanguards Lost Psychedelic Era 1966-1970. All groups on the Vanguard label new to me and I like it.
I wish they would release a second volume
Perhaps some reccomendations for multi group collections could be made here.

Now for something a bit more mainstream...or, maybe not.;) There is no denying that something special was happening in music from 1967 through 1969 as rock literally grew up. In may ways, 1968 is my personal favorite year. So many classic albums released that year. Among them was an eye-popping, ear popping, mind expanding debut from the Steve Miller Band. In fact the "first five" SMB albums, as they are sometimes called, are quite different from the Top 40 hit-fueled records that followed. Produced by a peaking Glyn Johns with wonderfully unreadable psychedelic cover art, Children Of The Future made quite a splash with me. Definitely esoteric, but still strangely accessible, it remains as intriguing a listen today as it did back in 1968. Side 2 leads off with two Boz Scaggs classics, "Baby's Callin' Me Home" and "Steppin' Stone," while side one is made up of one long song cycle that opens and closes with the title track. I cobbled together a version of the "Children of the Future" portions so you can get a feel for it, along with the two Boz Scaggs songs (which are already segued on the original vinyl.)

Children Of The Future (front).jpg

Children Of The Future (back).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a really nice song 4ears by Circus Maximus.

Which brings me to related subject.
There are many 2 and 3 cd collections out there that concentrate on late 60s and early 70s musical groups and styles
I know Circus Maximus from a song Travelin Around on a CD called Follow Me Down Vanguards Lost Psychedelic Era 1966-1970. All groups on the Vanguard label new to me and I like it.
I wish they would release a second volume
Perhaps some reccomendations for multi group collections could be made here.
There are some really good "various artist" comps that have come out on CD. Unfortunately, like all physical media, they get harder and harder to find. I can make some recommendations. I'll start with these. You can't go wrong with either volume. They are both fantastic!

Book A Trip (front).jpg

Book A Trip (back).jpg

Last edited:
Another album cover with a fish eye lens photo. I used to covet one of those lenses but unaffordable for me.
Is the rest of that album as good as this song?
I had the original vinyl given to me by a friend in the late 80s, but had already abandoned
the medium and gave it away. Nothing else sticks out to me, but I do have the CD compilation just
for this song. I also have a fondness for a Norwegian band that took the song as their name,
A Smell of Incense, that I discovered in the last decade. Retro-psych "hash" band, haha.

They cover their name track, of course!

Some fine psychedelic tunes on the Nova Local album. Touch takes some getting used to and after 50 years I’m still not used to it lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Some fine psychedelic tunes on the Nova Local album. Touch takes some getting used to and after 50 years I’m still not used to it lol.
I also had Touch in my stack of stuff to write about. But, I hadn’t gotten to it yet. I have two copies of it on CD and both of them are brickwalled to the max. Really sad, as the vinyl is quite listenable. The whole London Records 20/20 Sound Stereo is quite nice. Great gatefold cover that opens from the middle, too. Really a missed opportunity here. Looking at the waveforms, the more recent remaster is a clone of the earlier version, which means the sound still sucks. I wasted money buying the new one in the hopes of finally getting a good sounding version.

Last edited:
Here are four more "various artist" comps devoted to the Sixties that I whole heartedly recommend. Plus, a few samples from the first two volumes so you can get a feel for what's included and how the discs sound. Since Warner Music Japan already did the heavy lifting on the remastering, unless there are huge music rights issues, you'd think Rhino could do something with these volumes here in the states, especially with all the success they've had with the "Nuggets" brand throughout the years.

Soft Rock Nuggets (front).jpg

Soft Rock Nuggets (back).jpg

Last edited:
TBH, I hadn't given it that much thought. I was feeling a bit guilty that I had inadvertently hijacked the "Listening now to this stereo/mono CD" thread and suggested moving the convo to a new one dedicated to the Sixties discussion I started there. IMO, anything '60s is fair game here, but it's a HUGE decade musically, so perhaps a bit of narrowing is in order. What say you all?
I agree with Quad Linda 1960-1969. Personally I don't care what the topic or decade is I just love engaging in conversation about music and happy to see the conversation broaden and sharing of tunes. I'm an old hippie and the late 50's - 60's were my wonder years. That said I was exposed to music an early age. When I was a young whippersnapper my dad would take us to visit his folks and my grandmother would play boogie woogie music on her piano, she was really good! My folks were of the WWII generation, we didn't' have a TV but did have a radio. We'd go to bed with the radio playing in the other room and as we drifted off to sleep listening to easy listening like Sinatra, Dean Martin, Cab Calloway, Glenn Miller etc. and radio shows like "The Whistler", "The Shadow", "The Lone Ranger", etc., a couple of my uncles were into country so I was exposed to Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, etc., I had a teacher in the 6th grade who had a music appreciation class and was exposed to classical music, the "Grand Canyon Suite" is a favorite of mine because of him. Music of all kinds has been an huge part of my life and always will. In the mid 50's and early 60's music was my constant companion through the teenage angst years. During the late 60's music became the voice of the times, War, racism, social issues and was a big part of the social conscience which is when I became socially aware of issues I'd never given much thought to. It was the beginning of my hippie days and began to think we could change the world and "All You Need Is Love". Now I'm still mostly PEACE, LOVE & MUSIC and a little go fuck yourself! I find it amazing that so many songs from the past are still relevant today like Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On", absolutely criminal that album has not been given the Dolby Atmos treatment, also songs like Spirits "Natures Way", I'm sure everyone can name one. So whatever kind of music you want to discuss, count me in. My apologies for rambling on, one thing about getting old is reminiscing is a lot of fun and the older I get the more I do it. I have a T-Shirt that says, "I may be old but I got to see all the cool bands", yep!

Back