LP's & CD's You Are Waiting For (NON SURROUND ONLY)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I LOVE Gillian Welch! Acony Records notified me that the one release of hers i didn't have was back in stock!
1675998427478.png

Gillian Welch - Soul Journey Album Reviews, Songs & More | AllMusic

Reactions: GOS
Gerry Rafferty's epic solo album from 1978, City To City, is getting a remaster at half speed. Double LP.

1689680038027.png

Originally released in 1978, City To City was Gerry Rafferty’s second solo album and first release since his departure from Stealers Wheel. The album was a worldwide top 10 hit across the globe, including #1 in the US, going platinum in the process. For this double vinyl release, City to City has been newly remastered at half-speed by Miles Showell at Abbey Road Studios, a method used to improve audio quality. The album is masterclass in songwriting, production and musicianship, featuring arguably the most famous saxophone riff of all time with Baker Street, as well as the understated love song, the recent viral hit Right Down The Line.

Currently at pre-order stage from various vendors, including Rhino...though their shipping tends to make overall pricing point higher.

Rhino - $31.98
importCDS - $29.25
Amazon US - no price yet
popmarket - $31.79
Deep Discount - $28.75
Acoustic Sounds - $31.98

OK, I have questions. I probably know the answers, but let's be sure! Have you owned City to City before? Then you have an inkling how great the music.

I've owned the LP 1st press, MoFi 1/2 speed, and early CD, likely better DR's. OK, money was a bit tight when the SACD came out. Wanted it and American Pie SACD, both originally UA (pre-EMI) releases. SACD's came and went quickly OOP! My early CD of American Pie probably has better DR, or close compared to other later mastered CD's. So, I'm not inclined to make it a rebuy. Better off to buy a 5.1 or a super deeeluxe that'll go OOP instantly. Not paying $100 even for a sealed City or American Pie SACD.

My take on fidelity, excluding tape, counterfeit's, legit (or not) lousy/no QC country, or whatever. You can't go wrong w/vinyl and/or CD/SACD, etc.

Well done, but perhaps too many pops & clicks can be annoying. MoFi and your audiophile 1/2 speed probably sounds much better than the original vinyl. A $2000 record cleaner won't get out baked in noise! Surface noise, yes, likely the premium cleaning machine will remove that COMPLETELY, or mostly. LOL!!

Looks like 2 x 45 LP's. It will sound spectacular, I'll bet. Some sound markedly better. Others slightly. No matter, other than vinyl purity more than quality.

Virgin Vinyl? Maybe. MoFi used virgin CD-4 vinyl. Better vinyl still, right? Hold it up to intense light. It's virgin and CD-4 quality, because it's CD-4 vinyl. Still black. The only light that passes through is the hole. So what? That's what regular vinyl does. seems like no difference?

Use an bright or intense light, and it's not black anymore. Kind of opaque or transparent medium brown translucent. Now, grab any black LP. STAYS BLACK. So, which one is more pure? CD-4 vinyl, of course. So, instead of being recycled popcorn, it's quiet. Doesn't do CD-4, but it could. It isn't that mix, no carrier, etc. But better definition and whisper quiet! ALL make sense? YOU BET!

If your vinyl is quality, not even CD-4 and IS 2 x 45, it's gonna be quiet and better fidelity. What you bought it for. SURPRISE! hah!

I've gone on too long. LOL!!

So, Gene, could you report back after you listen? Preferably a/b to another copy, if you have one, please a/b and report back the differences. Although it's the same system, EVERYTHING has coloration. Same TT, cartridge, or player & receiver, only the vinyl or CD is different! You'll still make an apples/apples comparison. Compare CD to SACD, vinyl to CD, it's no longer apples/apples, it's apples/oranges. You still hear differences, BUT...

YOU KNOW ENOUGH about the music, your speakers, your current copy because they are familiar to you. hint: don't even think of driving that receiver or amp near or at it's limit. Otherwise, the difference might be the THD, TID (transient intermodulation distortion), etc. What the heck is that? LOOK IT UP!! LOL!!

Too soft and you might not hear the difference, Goldilocks.

IF you haven't fallen asleep yet, HAPPY LISTENING!!

OK, I have questions. I probably know the answers, but let's be sure! Have you owned City to City before? Then you have an inkling how great the music.

I've owned the LP 1st press, MoFi 1/2 speed, and early CD, likely better DR's. OK, money was a bit tight when the SACD came out. Wanted it and American Pie SACD, both originally UA (pre-EMI) releases. SACD's came and went quickly OOP! My early CD of American Pie probably has better DR, or close compared to other layer mastering CD's. So, I'm not inclined to make it a rebuy. Better off to buy a 5.1 or super deeluxe that'll go OOP instantly. Not paying $100 even for a sealed one.

My take on fidelity, excluding tape, counterfeit's, legit (or not) lousy/no QC country, you can't go wrong w/vinyl and/or CD/SACD, etc.

Well done, but perhaps too many pops & clicks can be annoying. MoFi and your audiophile 1/2 speed probably sounds much better than the original vinyl. A $2000 record cleaner won't get out baked in noise! Surface noise, yes, likely the premium cleaning machine will remove that COMPLETELY, or mostly. LOL!!

Looks like 2 x 45 LP's. It will sound spectacular, I'll bet. Some sound markedly better. Others slightly. No matter. Other than vinyl purity more than quality.

Virgin Vinyl? Maybe. MoFi used virgin CD-4 vinyl. Better vinyl still, right? Hold it up to intense light. It's virgin and CD-4 quality, because it's CD-4 vinyl. Still black. The only light that passes through is the hole. So what? That's what regular vinyl does. seems like no difference?

Use an bright or intense light, and it's not black anymore. Kind of opaque or transparent medium brown translucent. Now, grab any black LP. STAYS BLACK. So, which one is more pure? CD-4 vinyl, of course. So, instead of being recycled popcorn, it's quiet. Doesn't do CD-4, but it could. It isn't that mix, no carrier, etc. But better definition and whisper quiet! ALL make sense? YOU BET!

If your vinyl is quality, not even CD-4 and IS 2 x 45, it's gonna be quiet and better fidelity. What you bought it for. SURPRISE! hah!

I've gone on too long. LOL!!

So, Gene, could you report back after you listen? Preferably a/b to another copy, if you have one, please a/b and report back the differences. Although it's the same system, EVERYTHING has coloration. Same TT, cartridge, or player & receiver, only the vinyl or CD is different! You'll still make an apples/apples comparison. Compare CD to SACD, vinyl to CD, it's no longer apples/apples, it's apples/oranges. You still hear differences, BUT...

YOU KNOW ENOUGH about the music, your speakers, your current copy because they are familiar to you. hint: don't even think of driving that receiver or amp near or at it's limit. Otherwise, the difference might be the THD, TID (transient intermodulation distortion), etc. What the heck is that? LOOK IT UP!! LOL!!

Too soft and you might not hear the difference, Goldilocks.

IF you haven't fallen asleep yet, HAPPY LISTENING!!

Hi Linda! To be short....I've never owned any version of this album. Late 70's? I would have discovered hard rock at that point in my life and there was no turning back. This would not have made the cut for me back then.

I'm much smarter now. :) I'm stoked to get this one....so much talent from 1 guy...

Back