Madeleine Peyroux “Let’s Walk” - new album with Elliot Scheiner Dolby Atmos & Auro-3D mixes! (streaming/download)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjcorne

Staff member
To quote @humprof from another thread, reports of Scheiner's retirement have indeed been somewhat exaggerated. Very pleased to say that his first 'immersive' mix is really well-done, it's got that same degree of clarity and sonic precision we all know from his 5.1 work (and the music is great too!)

I've also done quite an extensive interview with the man covering not just this release, but also his past work with Steely Dan, The Eagles, Beck, etc. It's due to published sometime in the next few weeks. Very excited to share that with you all!

https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/now-available-in-immersive-audio-madeleine-peyrouxs-lets-walk/

https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/product/lets-walk-madeleine-peyroux-auro-3d-wav

https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/product/lets-walk-madeleine-peyroux-atmos-mkv-mp4

So excited about this! The album will stand on its own merits, but beyond Scheiner, Peyroux has lots of other "Dangential" connections, too, stretching at least as far back as her 2006 song "I'm All Right," co-written with Walter Becker and producer Larry Klein (around the time that Klein was collaborating on Becker's Circus Money album). Peyroux's longtime music director, guitarist Jon Herington, has also fronted the Steely Dan band for over two decades, and he and late SD keyboardist Jim Beard, along with guitarist Dean Parks, have appeared on several of her albums. On this one, "Danette" (and great jazz singer in her own right) Catherine Russell also plays a key backup role.

Last edited:
Sweet!! As someone who has never downloaded one of these, can someone explain to me how I'd be able to play it on my system (USB drive, burn to dvd, etc.). I don't stream anything, hence the question. Thanks in advance.
There's a primer on the IAA site:
https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/how-to-listen-the-guide-to-playing-music-in-immersive-audio/

If you're a Windows person, VLC Player, Kodi, and Windows TV & Movies will let you stream to your AVR via HDMI. (There will be some settings involved, both in Windows and in the media player.) Many disc players will also let you play MKV (as "video" files) from USB.

I've also done quite an extensive interview with the man covering not just this release, but also his past work with Steely Dan, The Eagles, Beck, etc. It's due to published sometime in the next few weeks. Very excited to share that with you all!

Wow, looking forward to reading that!!

There's a primer on the IAA site:
https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/how-to-listen-the-guide-to-playing-music-in-immersive-audio/

If you're a Windows person, VLC Player, Kodi, and Windows TV & Movies will let you stream to your AVR via HDMI. (There will be some settings involved, both in Windows and in the media player.) Many disc players will also let you play MKV (as "video" files) from USB.
Quick follow up question, can you give me a rough idea of the size (GB) of a lossless album download from this site? I just downloaded their test track which was roughly 2GB. Thanks again

Quick follow up question, can you give me a rough idea of the size (GB) of a lossless album download from this site? I just downloaded their test track which was roughly 2GB. Thanks again
The test track is really big only because the video is uncompressed.

The entire Madeleine Peyroux album in TrueHD/Atmos (.mkv) is 1.35 GB, roughly 100-200 MB per track.

Screenshot 2024-06-29 at 12.11.18 PM.png

Well, I tried to play the test track on my Oppo BDP 103 and it wouldn't play....yes, the Oppo's software/firmware is up to date.

Well, I tried to play the test track on my Oppo BDP 103 and it wouldn't play....yes, the Oppo's software/firmware is up to date.
Did you make sure to find the test .mkv track in a video folder rather than an audio folder? It might actually appear in both, but the Oppo will only process it as a video file.

I have all of her albums and have seen her live at the Phoenix Musical Instrument Museum!

I am listening to the latest "Let's Walk" in stereo hi rez right now - very nice indeed.

IAA has separate pricing for the Atmos and Auro-3D versions. I am planning to get one of them. The question is which one? My basement Atmos system and my theater getting done crazy Atmos- Auro-3D system will play the downloaded version.

I was hoping to do a bundle with the Auro & Atmos, but they wanted them separate.

FWIW the album was mixed natively in 9.1 (5.1.4) at 96-khz/24-bit, so the Auro is technically 'truer' to the source. I pushed for the Atmos version so more people could hear it (AVRs with Atmos are considerably more common than Auro), and they had to deliver Atmos for streaming anyway.

I was hoping to do a bundle with the Auro & Atmos, but they wanted them separate.

FWIW the album was mixed natively in 9.1 (5.1.4) at 96-khz/24-bit, so the Auro is technically 'truer' to the source. I pushed for the Atmos version so more people could hear it (AVRs with Atmos are considerably more common than Auro), and they had to deliver Atmos for streaming anyway.
Thanks. I'll get the Auro version - my systems can play both, and I suspect the Auro will sound the best in my dedicated theater system 11.7.12!

Any chance of a 24/96 5.1.4 wav download?

Any chance of a 24/96 5.1.4 wav download?
To play in what, a DAW? I think it would just cause confusion, since most listeners seem to be using HDMI.

The decoded Auro nulled out almost completely with the source files, so you can easily make your own 10-channel wavs using the Auro-3D Export plugin (which I think is available to the public?).

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to play Auro. No AVR, no DAW.

I've given this album just two listens--one casual, one careful--but even allowing for the fact that I was predisposed to like it, I think it's easily one of the half-dozen best new mixes I've heard so far this year. Plus: production-wise, it's an audiophile album that really benefits from the high-res format. And musically, it's an absolute charmer. Elliot Scheiner is not a disinterested party, admittedly, but I agree with him when he says that his hope for the album is that "the public realizes it's a masterpiece." It's certainly among Peyroux's best work, possibly the pinnacle.

Profile of Peyroux, occasioned by the new album, in WaPo a week or so ago:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/2024/06/20/madeline-peyroux-new-album-lets-walk/

Back