New Mystery Title Due Out Before Christmas 2024

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is FANTASTIC news for me. I love the album, and I've tried every pressing of the original LP that made sense to try, and they all kinda sound like crap. A remix, especially in multichannel, is sure to be VERY much improved.

Sound & Vision had an cool article interviewing Nektar. The article mentioned The Other Side being mixed in 5.1. It's a great album and I hope it will will eventually happen. I wonder if Mr Bill Hartmann could share some light on this.

This is the one I saw from 2012-
https://www.discogs.com/master/504786-Nektar-A-Spoonful-Of-Time

and this video-

But if there is a direct link to the Tab album, we simply must know!

I really only know them from the Quad years-
https://www.discogs.com/release/599257-Nektar-Remember-The-Future

https://www.discogs.com/release/1915387-Nektar-Down-To-Earth

edit: Oh and if you want to know about any unreleased or otherwise old Quads, see @fizzywiggs41 or @steelydave :)

It was confirmed by Larry Fast (Tabs co-engineer), that a quad encoded album does not exist.
Originally I thought the 76 redo was QS encoded , but that was solely based on another member's info where he had a link confirming it was encoded , by none other than Nektar Band member Derek "MO Moore , who was the other engineer for the 76 Tab redo.
Additionally Nektar's U.S label, JEM , insisted their next album use Sansui's QS instead of SQ as they had previously. JEM had some kind of financial promotional deal involving Sansui , so they insisted on QS over SQ.

Well anyway , sorry for that confusion.
-fizzy

First four Ash albums in surround would be super cool...as well as early Savoy Brown.

Find myself beside a stream of empty thought
Like a leaf that's fallen to the ground
Carried by the flow of water to my dreams
And woken only by your sound

Alone I've walked this path for many years
Listened to the wind that calls my name
The weeping trees of yesterday that look so sad
Await your breath of spring again

Far beyond the hills where earth and sky will meet again
Are shadows like an opening hand
Control the secrets that I've yet to find and wonder at
The light in which they stand
Reading the lyrics, in my head I hear the song, after the last line, the acoustic guitar melody that follows.

Burned into my brain after 50 years of playing the cassette while driving, seldom rotated out of the vehicle tape or CD cases.

First four Ash albums in surround would be super cool...as well as early Savoy Brown.

Yes , Argus , and a much bigger YES for Savoy Brown , SEVEN early Savoy Brown's ...

From...... , Getting To The Point , Blue Matter , Raw Sienna, A Step Further,
Looking In , Street Corner Talking , Hellbound Train ......

And Even more like the ...QUAD of Jack The Toad , Lions Share ,.... etc, etc.

Super Rock n Blues , from an amazing British Band that is most appreciated in Canada and the USA , then in their home , UK ?

Yes , Argus , and a much bigger YES for Savoy Brown , SEVEN early Savoy Brown's ...

Super Rock n Blues , from an amazing British Band that is most appreciated in Canada and the USA , then in their home , UK ?
Reading that list, I see most of those album covers in my head.

When I first left home, hanging out with older blues rock cats, Side Two of A Step Further was spun often at gatherings when the sacred herb was passed around.

1721435438112.png

Primed me well to see this concert in 72 for four dollars.
Note that Savoy Brown was top of the bill in midwest USA.

1721435556044.png

Reading that list, I see most of those album covers in my head.

When I first left home, hanging out with older blues rock cats, Side Two of A Step Further was spun often at gatherings when the sacred herb was passed around.

View attachment 107768

Primed me well to see this concert in 72 for four dollars.
Note that Savoy Brown was top of the bill in midwest USA.

View attachment 107769

Cool looking adverts , Dave .

I have all those albums on my mp3 player with the exception of Getting To The Point. So i listen to all early Savoy Brown when i select such.
The North American cover of Blue Matter is a must in of itself, never mind the great music it shoots out.

Now I think I must gravitate to more of Savoy Brown's album , such as all above 1973.
But I do have a good quad conversion of Jack The Toad , an album I never gave enough credit to , but now enjoy it immensely.
Now BGO out of Britain FWIW , has a crap load of twofers , some i have , but for sure I need a lot more.

And What a shock I'd incur if someone started to 5.1 their catalogue !
So here's hoping......

If we're talking krautrock, I'd love Wallenstein's Blitzkrieg in 5.1. HD Audio. The recently remastered CD sounds fantastic on my system.

Also Nektar's two other early albums Journey To the Centre of the Eye & ...Sounds Like This in DVD or Blu-ray Audio would be fantastic.

I'd agree with you Derek, there were a few of us who liked Savoy Brown at secondary school (so 1969-74 at school were the musical formative years for us) but they weren't on many peoples music play list in the UK way back then

:giggle: Thanks. I dropped nearly Ā£60 on the 2016 SACD of that album yesterday because I misread the Discog notes:

"Bonus Tracks are credited for 5.1-surround, but don't exist." - https://www.discogs.com/release/2480262-Nektar-Journey-To-The-Centre-Of-The-Eye

I thought they meant the 5.1 tracks were the bonus and that they weren't actually in 5.1. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø <-- can people tell this is a face-palm...?...just looks like a dude to me. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

I was hoping it would be worth the extra, but according to izgoblin, maybe not...?...

Unfortunately those Eclectic SACDs are so drenched in noise reduction that they're almost impossible to enjoy. For me, they might as well not exist at all. Even when I had a far more substandard system than I do now, I thought they sounded bad.

Oh well...at least I'll be able to see for myself. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Edit: Just looked again and it seems the one I bought was from Purple Pyramid, so...fingers crossed it's good. šŸ¤ž

@mandrix, thanks :)(y) I'll take a look at it now. :)

Reading the lyrics, in my head I hear the song, after the last line, the acoustic guitar melody that follows.

Burned into my brain after 50 years of playing the cassette while driving, seldom rotated out of the vehicle tape or CD cases.
I used to enjoy playing that song on my Yamaha acoustic. Due to advanced arthur-itis it now has a place on display.

:giggle:

Edit: Just looked again and it seems the one I bought was from Purple Pyramid, so...fingers crossed it's good. šŸ¤ž
The Purple Pyramid disc is surely just a copy of the Eclectic mastering. Purple Pyramid is a low budget label - they would have just used the files from the Eclectic. Frankly I'm shocked they even released an SACD of this. Hopefully you find something to like about it.

Last edited:
I hope so... :rolleyes: ...it wasn't particularly cheap.

Is there another multichannel remix of Journey to the Centre of the Eye in the works?

Oops, sorry for the accidental tease. I'm getting really absent-minded in my old age. I was confusing Tab in the Ocean with Journey to the Center of the Eye there.

But... maybe given that they've already given us an improved Remember the Future release and now Tab is coming, perhaps if this one sells well, there is hope for Journey to the Center of the Eye as well.

Oops, sorry for the accidental tease. I'm getting really absent-minded in my old age. I was confusing Tab in the Ocean with Journey to the Center of the Eye there.
lol :giggle:

...I guess the consolation is, the expensive SACD I jut bought isn't about to be superseded (at least not yet)...but it would be great to have an Atmos mix of that one. šŸ¤ž

I'm really hoping we get ...Sounds Like This in H.D. Surround; the first track alone makes it a definite purchase for me.

Reactions: SHB
So it's Nektar A Tab in the Ocean? I listened to WNEW-FM in New York City and first time I ever heard of Nektar was when they played Remember the Future. I guess I'll give this a listen and then I'll decide if I want to purchase the multi when it comes out. I recently listened to Remember the Future and it seemed so dated.

So it's Nektar A Tab in the Ocean?
So O.P. says.

I listened to WNEW-FM in New York City and first time I ever heard of Nektar was when they played Remember the Future. I guess I'll give this a listen and then I'll decide if I want to purchase the multi when it comes out. I recently listened to Remember the Future and it seemed so dated.
I'm getting into the old stuff; give me dated!

I picked up the ZYX Music's World of Krautrock Dolby Surround CD, which led me to purchasing the recent stereo remaster of Wallenstein's Blitzkrieg, and that was the gateway drug.

I've fallen down the 1970's, German, heavy rock, rabbit hole and this thread was the catalyst:

I've since also ordered the 2004 Journey to the Centre of the Eye SACD, because on closer examination the 2016 SACD doesn't have the stereo mix; the second disc contains a live performance. :rolleyes:

With the cash I've spent over the last week or so, I'm going to have to redouble my eBay listing.

Currently on their way to me:

Deep Purple - Stormbringer (1974) multichannel, 36th Anniversary Edition.

Asterix - Asterix (1970) Krautrock Original Album Series 2015 Release (it says it's a remix:giggle:))

...that set also includes Gift's 1972 self-titled album: Gift.

Gift - Blue Apple (1974) German 1998 Remaster. Starts out a bit goofy but gets much much better.

Asterix - Asterix (1970) Japanese, 2011, SHM-CD

(I know, I read up on SHM-CD's, but I hear the SHM-CD presses tend to have better mastering...?...but probably about to get schooled on that:rolleyes:)

Ironically, the Japanese Asterix disc is on its way to me from Germany and the German Asterix disc is on its way to me from Japan.

As mentioned above, both Nektar - Journey to the Centre of the Eye SACD's: 2004 & 2016.

Lucifer's Friend - Lucifer's Friend (1970) German, 2008 remaster

Lucifer's Friend- Lucifer's Friend (1970) German, 1990 CD...because it's the highest scoring on dr.loudness-war.info/

I'm going to be conducting my own comparisons on these, for the best quality I can find.

Lucifer's Friend - ...Where the Groupies Killed the Blues (1972) Repertoire Records, 1991 CD

Gila - Free Electric Sound (1971) Garden of Delights, German, 2017 CD

Also want to pick up Gila's Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee (1973) & Night Works (1972) but I've already spent too much...

...I'm still yet to place orders for Tull's - Stand Up multichannel re-issue (I missed it the first time around) and the multichannel Hawkwind - In Search of Space.

What can I say...this stuff's my jam.

I'm going to be doing a lot of eBaying for the foreseeable future. :rolleyes:

Edit: almost forgot; I've got an instance of the Electric Lady Studios: A Jimi Hendrix Vision multichannel Blu-ray on its way to me too.

...the tldr: I just dropped a big chunk'a'change on 70's hard rock that I probably can't afford. šŸ˜¬:giggle:

Last edited:
Back