New Mystery Title Due Out Before Christmas 2024

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately those Eclectic SACDs are so drenched in noise reduction that they're almost impossible to enjoy. For me, they might as well not exist at all. Even when I had a far more substandard system than I do now, I thought they sounded bad.
It might be that I just don’t know what I’m missing…?…but the Eclectic Journey to the Centre of the Eye SACD arrived today and it sounds fine…?

…you mentioned it even sounded bad on a lower spec system; is that common…?…for higher end systems to show up the shortcomings of a mix? My system is pretty modest to say the least.

There was a point in an early track where some polyphonic singing/harmonising kind of overwhelmed the speakers (and my eardrum) and it happened again with what I think was a keyboard at the end of Death of the Mind, but apart from that it seemed fine to me?

I’m not sure if there’s a way to force my media player to play just the CD layer for comparison, but I guess I can probably compare it to a file.

But yeah, I’m not sure I’d be able to recognise noise reduction unless it was explained to me, so maybe I just don’t know what I’m missing?

Edit: Also, I’m finding switching off of PLii x and on to Neo:6 is injecting a lot more bass and body into the sound I’m getting from the more treble’y of the CDs I have.

Last edited:
It might be that I just don’t know what I’m missing…?…but the Eclectic Journey to the Centre of the Eye SACD arrived today and it sounds fine…?

…you mentioned it even sounded bad on a lower spec system; is that common…?…for higher end systems to show up the shortcomings of a mix? My system is pretty modest to say the least.

There was a point in an early track where some polyphonic singing/harmonising kind of overwhelmed the speakers (and my eardrum) and it happened again with what I think was a keyboard at the end of Death of the Mind, but apart from that it seemed fine to me?

I’m not sure if there’s a way to force my media player to play just the CD layer for comparison, but I guess I can probably compare it to a file.

But yeah, I’m not sure I’d be able to recognise noise reduction unless it was explained to me, so maybe I just don’t know what I’m missing?

Edit: Also, I’m finding switching off of PLii x and on to Neo:6 is injecting a lot more bass and body into the sound I’m getting from the more treble’y of the CDs I have.
Hey, if it sounds good to you, great! That's all that matters.

Trust me, you don't want to know how to recognize noise reduction or to hear the difference it makes in fidelity in comparison to the original source. Enjoy your disc!

Not visible to me either...
Capture.JPG

So...would someone with a Twitter account care to post a screenshot (or a transcription) of the actual "big surprise"?
I'm guessing it relates to Tab in the Ocean? 🤷‍♂️

☺️

This will be a big suprise when it happens in real life (Talk Talk)

We can talk about it if you tell us what it is...?...

...or...is it literally Talk Talk?

Last edited:
I see a post from Burning Shed that says "I’m sure it will be done at some point." But no comments, and no context.
If you click on "post" then you came on the newsfeed from BS, with my question will there be a release from Talk Talk in Dolby Atmos, and the answer from BS is "I’m sure it will be done at some point."

Last edited:
If it’s done, it’s unlikely to be a Steven Wilson mix. He has stated several times in The Album Years that Mark Hollis didn’t want surround mixes done.
But what SW tells that will not say things are not going to be happen, opinions can be change in time. Maybe family members, or owners decide different.

If you click on "post" then you came on the newsfeed from BS, with my question will there be a release from Talk Talk in Dolby Atmos, and the answer from BS is "I’m sure it will be done at some point."
Don’t mean to rain on the parade, but depends on what they mean by done?

Do they mean done as in “finished”…?…in which case it could mean that it’s already in the works?

Or do they mean they’ll probably get around to it at some point? Meaning, it’s probably a ways off in the future.

It’s ambiguous?

But what SW tells that will not say things are not going to be happen, opinions can be change in time. Maybe family members, or owners decide different.
I'm not saying a surround release won't happen. Estates and rights owners will do what they do. I saying that if Wilson is the person I think he is, I don't think he'll tale the commission. But to paraphrase Michael Gold (Jeff Goldblum) said in The Big Chill, we can rationalize ourselves into anything. So if the estate and rights owners are set on doing it and he thinks he's the only one who could do it justice, he might rationalize away his conscience and do it. Hopefully not.

I'd love to hear gem in surround...of course meticulously produced by David G himself.

It's actually under the Warner / Repeise / Rhino label...but sadly the album itself wasn't popular enough I'm sure

Dreamacademyalbum.jpg

I wasn't unaware of the time, but their entire catalog has been given a 7CD box set-- including all B-sides & re-mixes (Religion Revolution & Railways). Both available for purchase and on the streaming services too. Such an underrated band...

I'm not saying a surround release won't happen. Estates and rights owners will do what they do. I saying that if Wilson is the person I think he is, I don't think he'll tale the commission. But to paraphrase Michael Gold (Jeff Goldblum) said in The Big Chill, we can rationalize ourselves into anything. So if the estate and rights owners are set on doing it and he thinks he's the only one who could do it justice, he might rationalize away his conscience and do it. Hopefully not.
I actually hope he would. With no disrespect, you take nothing with you. Once you're gone, you're gone. Who's to say that Mark Hollis himself wouldn't have changed his mind by now, or in ten years, if he was still alive. And while you're alive, you have the right to say what people can and cannot do with your work, art, and property. The idea that we can't do anything with an artist's art after they're gone because they may have not wanted it is frankly ridiculous.

Back