New Sphere (Vegas, NV) venue it's bonkers (and immersive too!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would have loved to experience this Eagles show. Wonder if it'll be made into a film (sans most of the audience noise hopefully!)

U2 just turned their shows into a concert film… that can only be seen at the Sphere. It’s effectively the same show they did but on loop. They show it when there isn’t a concert/event going on, in addition to the Darren Aranofsky film.

I wonder if that might become a trend. I’m surprised there hasn’t been any concert film releases of these shows to home videos. On one hand I get it. Having been there for all 4 Phish shows, it’s something that *cannot* come across on a traditional screen. Even Phish’s own really good pro-shot uploads pales in comparison to the real thing… but also those visuals *cant* be cheap. Recouping them through a concert film seems to make sense.

U2 just turned their shows into a concert film… that can only be seen at the Sphere. It’s effectively the same show they did but on loop. They show it when there isn’t a concert/event going on, in addition to the Darren Aranofsky film.

I wonder if that might become a trend. I’m surprised there hasn’t been any concert film releases of these shows to home videos. On one hand I get it. Having been there for all 4 Phish shows, it’s something that *cannot* come across on a traditional screen. Even Phish’s own really good pro-shot uploads pales in comparison to the real thing… but also those visuals *cant* be cheap. Recouping them through a concert film seems to make sense.
Might happen on down the line as the venue (and it's excitement factor) ages, but then of course so will I 😩

Maybe do a partnership with IMAX 🤷‍♂️

Talk about SENSORY OVERLOAD, JP. Absolutely STUPENDOUS. Can't wait until they build a SPHERE in NEW YORK!

And we're talking 18K RESOLUTION! WAY beyond the scope of ANY consumer projectors!

Thanks for sharing!
But what does it say when the video programmers become more important to the performance then the music composers? How long till all of us have to build "mini spheres" for home theaters to faithfully reproduce the performance???? Geodesic domes may come back after all!

But what does it say when the video programmers become more important to the performance then the music composers? How long till all of us have to build "mini spheres" for home theaters to faithfully reproduce the performance???? Geodesic domes may come back after all!
it is more than just video (which is state of the art), the audio is also state of the art. We saw the U2 show at the sphere (I have seen then about a dozen other times at regular venues across the years) and the sphere show is a step up in all regards.

I watched the last UFC event and it was in the Sphere. While there was no audio, except the fighter's entrance music and the announcers....my god the VISUA.....LS where stunning. I can't even imagine what a concert would be like!
Ok, that's all I got 😂

I watched the last UFC event and it was in the Sphere. While there was no audio, except the fighter's entrance music and the announcers....my god the VISUA.....LS where stunning. I can't even imagine what a concert would be like!
Ok, that's all I got 😂
Living in the south, I haven't bothered to look into what the ticket prices look like there, but I bet it's pricey? Didn't it cost over a Billion? Saw it on YT. I built a 49ft geodesic dome about 12 years ago but sold it. Made a nice home. But no LEDS on the inside or outside.

For those of you who are members of the AES there WAS an on-line event (costs $25 for members) EDIT: whoops missed it!
1727125443788.png

For those of you who are members of the AES there WAS an on-line event (costs $25 for members) EDIT: whoops missed it!
View attachment 109503
BTW, Dunc:

Another Sphere is in the works in London and it is planned to be taller than the one in Las Vegas. The London Sphere is planned to be 394 feet; the Las Vegas Sphere is 366 feet tall. The London Sphere is expected to be located where a parking lot currently sits next to Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, a site of the 2012 Olympics.

Oh, NO! Probably with current costs escalating at a rapid pace the project was too prohibitively expensive! Do they still plan to build one in New York?
IIRC the only one that was scheduled was the London one but the overall “Sphere Strategy” was to have one in most major cities around the globe. That way bands can tour from Sphere to Sphere and recoup costs on visuals. It also reduces setup/sound check etc time as each one would be the same inside and out.

With the London one canned I’m not sure what the plan is now. I know the Mayor of Teesside (just outside London) offered space, and the UAE is interested in one in Abu Dhabi.

Also, tangentially related, for those who like ambient music, Trey Anastasio (the guitarist of Phish) finally released the special “Frippertronics” like ambient music that was playing in the lobby of the shows:

Back