Nightwish - Yesterwynde (CD + Atmos Blu-ray) Sept. 20 2024

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...I'm waiting patiently for comments on the surround mix before ordering. Anyone played it yet?
It's a pretty mediocre mix. Surround mix is okay (only listening to 5.1), mostly some backing vocals, choirs, parts of the orchestra and lots of reverb. Nothing special.

Problem is, the overall sound is kind of muddy and undefined plus there are some harsh sounding vocals coming from the center. I read about some complaints online about the vocals on the stereo mix getting drowned by the music and it feels like they tried to fix that by using lots of EQ in the 2 to 3 kHz range to bring them more upfront. It's almost ear-piercing once Floor gets to higher registers.

Even though the songs try to sound epic and big, they are lacking in impact and it's hard to listen to them at higher volumes. The whole mix just lacks clarity and definition. Having listened to the last album from Leprous for the past few days, this is like a night and day experience.

Regarding the sound quality, I'm very disappointed in this release and expected way more.

Back