Non-LP sources of CD-4 music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The block diagrams of CD-4 supplied in the 1970s show that the carrier is split off just after the first preamp. Then the demodulation is done, and then the RIAA de-emphasis is applied.

The problem is that the recording medium would have to have a frequency response out to 50KHz

RIAA is not needed for just certain kinds of magnetic cartridge. It is needed for all magnetic cartridges. Ceramic cartridge bars are specially "cut" so the ceramic itself has the RIAA curve.

The RIAA recording curve has several purposes:
1. Increase recording time by reducing the deep bass to reduce cutter swing at low frequencies.
2. Increase high frequency response by increasing the high frequencies sent to the cutter.
3. Make all records play the same way - a standard.

View attachment 89073
The RIAA playback curve is the opposite of the recording curve. It boost the bass and cuts the treble in exactly the same amounts the recording curve changed them. The result is an exact reproduction of the original sound.

Note that both curves steeply cut frequencies lower than 15Hz and higher than 22KHz.
Yes, but the carrier survives, without bypass.

Attachments

• Spectrum after RIAA.gif
    Spectrum after RIAA.gif
    72.7 KB · Views: 0
The block diagrams of CD-4 supplied in the 1970s show that the carrier is split off just after the first preamp. Then the demodulation is done, and then the RIAA de-emphasis is applied.

The problem is that the recording medium would have to have a frequency response out to 50KHz

RIAA is not needed for just certain kinds of magnetic cartridge. It is needed for all magnetic cartridges. Ceramic cartridge bars are specially "cut" so the ceramic itself has the RIAA curve.

The RIAA recording curve has several purposes:
1. Increase recording time by reducing the deep bass to reduce cutter swing at low frequencies.
2. Increase high frequency response by increasing the high frequencies sent to the cutter.
3. Make all records play the same way - a standard.

View attachment 89073
The RIAA playback curve is the opposite of the recording curve. It boost the bass and cuts the treble in exactly the same amounts the recording curve changed them. The result is an exact reproduction of the original sound.

Note that both curves steeply cut frequencies lower than 15Hz and higher than 22KHz.
Excellent explanation of why trying to get CD4 carrier out of an RIAA preamp won’t be successful.

I suppose that It would depend on the design of the actual demodulator.

This diagram from the Panasonic SE-405H manual (the demodulator that jupp369 is working with) illustrates just what he is saying. The RIAA comes first.

1677603955898.png

Last edited:
Here is a JVC diagram that shows the RIAA done as a separate path.

View attachment 89105
When I did some service work on a Marantz 400-B I was surprised to see the RIAA EQ pre-amp was also done before low/high pass filtering. That really seemed odd to me. But as you have demonstrated it seems to be done both ways depending on the unit.

Here is a JVC diagram that shows the RIAA done as a separate path.

View attachment 89105
In the SE-405H scheme "Equalizer" is the RIAA.
The JVC scheme comes after the RIAA and what is signed as "EQ" is an internal pre amp to lift the signal.
(I have 3 amp's from JVC) In 5436 and GX500 the RIAA is on a separate circuit board, In 5446 the RIAA is on the demod board.

Attachments

• CD-4 Demod.gif
    CD-4 Demod.gif
    106.6 KB · Views: 0

RIAA is not needed for just certain .....
as I said: from win7 on the max input freq is limited to 48kHz (/2). Win XP did it well. So I use a cheap external guitar to USB (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen = 150$) which goes up to 192/24 and have no more problems with hum.
(From win 7 on there is also a limiter for the audio out. For playback it has to be lifted. Realtek can do, my HP's can not)

In the SE-405H scheme "Equalizer" is the RIAA.
The JVC scheme comes after the RIAA and what is signed as "EQ" is an internal pre amp to lift the signal.
(I have 3 amp's from JVC) In 5436 and GX500 the RIAA is on a separate circuit board, In 5446 the RIAA is on the demod board.
The JVC diagram is from their publication "Discrete Four Channel Record System" that describes the operation of CD-4, I haven't investigated their demodulators actual circuitry. RIAA is specified to what, 20 KHz? You would expect it to roll off even more beyond that point but it doesn't have to. Obviously the carrier has to make it through! Seems an odd why to do things though, but no point in second guessing the designers choices!

Attachments

• JVC_DISCRETE_4-CHANNEL_RECORD_CD-4_SYSTEM.pdf
    13.6 MB · Views: 0
The JVC diagram is from their publication "Discrete Four Channel Record System" that describes the operation of CD-4, I haven't investigated their demodulators actual circuitry. RIAA is specified to what, 20 KHz? You would expect it to roll off even more beyond that point but it doesn't have to. Obviously the carrier has to make it through! Seems an odd why to do things though, but no point in second guessing the designers choices!
Thanks Ken that was a very interesting piece of data I haven't seen before.

II am drawn to the paragraph under Recording Process which says:

"Regarding the difference signal, the ranges lower than 80Hz and higher than 6KHz are frequency modulated (FM) and range between 800Hz and 6KHz is phase modulated (PM)."

Firstly I'll say I think there is a typo there as I think it should say the range between 80Hz and 6KHz is PM.

Now this is just plain crazy to me. Very low and quite high frequency's are FM but the mid-range is PM?

I have always read that the carrier signal was simple FM. What would be the benefit to using two different forms of modulation? Or would the demodulator simply see them as both the same?

Maybe I can't see the forest for the trees? I would appreciate someone knowing more than me explain this!

Yes the carrier is actually a combination of FM-PM-FM as to why without further research I can only guess, maybe it is desirable not to vary the carrier frequency too much? FM and PM are related, but why the combination of both?

Perhaps there is an explanation in"Quadraphile", or in the patent document. So sad that Lou Dorran passed on, he could've given us the answer I'm sure!

I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but I’ve searching for the “definitive guide to digitizing CD-4 records”, I hope my reply stays within the spirit of the thread.

I’ve read enough to know it can be done, and I think I have all the gear to do it, but I’ve not seen mention of soldering this wire anywhere yet ((probably just missing it the awesome pile of expert knowledge on this site), and I’m probably missing other things too . Ultimately, I would like to create a bit for bit digital representation of the actual analog vinyl media. I don’t know if that would be supported in a single FLAC file, or If I would need (some number of) individual WAV files to represent both the audio and the carrier signal. I envision a world where my discs are backed up, can be played via computer, but still must be demodulated within software or an outboard CD-4 decoder. For the later, the computer would be sending sending that vintage decoder exactly what it is expecting to receive (probably need to attenuate that signal?). Any pointers? I have to think this has been done already by some smart person around these parts . Much to learn and many questions…. Thanks!

— Michael (noob ramping up as fast as I can)

p.s. pointers to best practices for cleaning up clicks and pops, as they do happen, is appreciated too.. I’ve never done a “needle drop” … think that’s term for digitizing vinyl? I’m a Mac guy, but have Windows and Linux too. I use an older RME UFX interface, but also have a Sound Devices MixPre 6 II that can record high bit/sample rates too (33bit float).
You know, it seems to me it would be much easier to record into the computer a demodulated 4 channel signal. Use a 4 channel input audio card to do it. I have a DTS encoder I can use to burn CD's with DTS signal and I can copy 4 channels that way. That doesn't even require a computer. Just a DTS encoder and an audio CD burner.

Yes the carrier is actually a combination of FM-PM-FM as to why without further research I can only guess, maybe it is desirable not to vary the carrier frequency too much? FM and PM are related, but why the combination of both?

Perhaps there is an explanation in"Quadraphile", or in the patent document. So sad that Lou Dorran passed on, he could've given us the answer I'm sure!
I think that phase modulation is essentially similar to frequency modulation, but it happens within a cycle. FM is much more sweeping and a cycle of audio may sweep several cycles of RF. The PM would handle the treble, and the FM would handle the bass. And with all the frequencies in between, the dividing line between the two would be somewhat blurred. That's why you need only one PLL circuit to decode them both.

You know, it seems to me it would be much easier to record into the computer a demodulated 4 channel signal. Use a 4 channel input audio card to do it. I have a DTS encoder I can use to burn CD's with DTS signal and I can copy 4 channels that way. That doesn't even require a computer. Just a DTS encoder and an audio CD burner.
Goldwave can digitize an audio input up to six or eight channels (I checked recently, but forgot). It can store as .wav or .flac, along with about ten other file formats and compression schemes. And it’s about $30, with lifetime upgrades. If you’re just ripping, and you have decent CD4 capabilities, it’s one way to go.

There was a company that was selling DTS encoders as a way to connect a 5.1 analog output to a Toslink optical input on a modern surround receiver. It also had a RCA digital output. The cool thing was that if you had a hardware CD burner, you could record a CD in DTS and it would play back in surround. I don't recall the make or model, but I did buy one. And I did make a few CD's which I used in my truck system. I could also record off any other part of my home surround setup. The problem was that you really couldn't hear the surround effect very well in a pickup truck, especially with a bunch of tools in the back seat covering the speakers half the time. But it did work quite well. I gave the disks away as samplers to people who might be interested in the quad hobby.

I was using the Minnetonka SurCode CD, DTS encoder software, years ago. They added a new version that did DVD as well. Unfortunately the product is considered obsolete and is no longer available for sale.

You can still download the trial version which is rather useless. I was able to find the crack for the DVD version after much searching. As I recall I could only download and install with the crack on Windows 7. Damn Win 10/11 likes to block everything that Microsoft deems to be questionable!

DVD Audio Extractor also allows conversion to DTS.

I realise that we are getting away off topic but back in the day DTS-CD was "the way" to archive our discrete CD-4 and Q8's. I still have a large collection of DTS CD's with many of my Q8's on them.

Wow, I missed quite a few posts in this thread - there is a lot of great info here! Unfortunately, life got in the way and I never pursued this. I do have a Sound Devices MixPre 6 II (https://www.sounddevices.com/product/mixpre-6-ii/), so it's probably the best and easiest route at my disposal should I ever get off my rear end, hook it up, and just start transferring.

Has anyone managed to needledrop CD4 records, so you can feed the file into a decoder?

I assume if you have a +30kHz capable stylus & cart combo, bypass the RIAA, and record it into a DAW, you could then feed that into a decoder from the digital file?

An option to back up all your CD4 records. Maybe a better software decoder will become available too: all those old electronic devices may not last forever.

Back