October 2023 D-V SACD Releases (Isley Bros, O’Jays, Enoch Light, Tony Mottola, Henry Mancini)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8 titles would also adhere to GOS' Law... 👀
Damn you @steelydave why’d you give me that fantastic idea!

I went ahead and ordered EW&F, Isley Brothers, and Ray Conniff Harmony/Way We Were along with the other 5!

$261 CAD all in but doing the math it’s a great deal for what I’m getting.

21 albums total
261/21 = 12.42 per album.
Wow!!

Thank you Mr. Dutton.

4th Up

Enoch Light
Serendipity and Beatles Classics

I wouldn't have given this one a second look if it wasn't for you guys waxing lyrically on how good his releases are.

And they sure are.
The original mixing engineer was spot on with all his quad speaker placements. And Mr Dutton brings it bang up to date. Wonderful
5th Up

Tony Mottola
Tony and Strings and Close to you.

Another one I wouldn't have chosen without the recommendations from here.

Does easy listening 🎶 sound more laid back than this?

Mr Dutton, he don't sell no duffs, that's for sure.

Another cracking quaddy.
So, Farmer Mike, in response to that World War I ditty:

🎼"How Ya Gonna Keep 'em Down on the Farm (After They've Seen Paree?)"🎼

" E~Z ..... after you've heard D~V!" :QQlove

6th and final listening for today

The prolific Henry Mancini
The Best Of Vol 1 and 2
No hesitation in buying this one

I remember hearing his music being played by my parents.

He wasn't afraid to experiment with his musical output.

Well that's 6 x10's, if I'm any judge of what constitutes exceptional quality in every department.

Damn you @steelydave why’d you give me that fantastic idea!

I went ahead and ordered EW&F, Isley Brothers, and Ray Conniff Harmony/Way We Were along with the other 5!

$261 CAD all in but doing the math it’s a great deal for what I’m getting.

21 albums total
261/21 = 12.42 per album.
Wow!!

Thank you Mr. Dutton.
I hope Canada Customs is kind to you

I usually don't order all the new releases from D-V at once; I space them out, since the higher shipping cost, from the UK, takes up a big chunk of the budget. I ordered the Henry Mancini, and Enoch Light Beatles discs. Next month, I'll order two more. I still have the next three discs from Hit Parade to order; not quad, but some of the best DES stereo you'll ever hear! They even sound great through the SM!

I ordered The O'jays, The Isley Brothers, and...Mac Davis disc of 5 titles. I may order
Tony Mattola with another batch latter.
The Tony Mattola you'll want to go back and get, an amazing guitarist with impeccable recordings to his credit. Btw the way have you seen his credits. I just looked at wiki and my mind was blown.

Looking forward to hearing opinions on "Ship Ahoy" and how the sound compares to the older SACD from Sony, and in regards to channel assignment as well. So nice to see the rarer ones get issued again.

Yep. Now Rhino do “Spectrum”!
Would love to see that, particularly for people who can’t afford the prior versions.

While I love the idea of focusing on stuff that hasn’t been released before, there are some titles that I think are worth releasing despite having a past release by another label.

Would love to see that, particularly for people who can’t afford the prior versions.

While I love the idea of focusing on stuff that hasn’t been released before, there are some titles that I think are worth releasing despite having a past release by another label.
"Spectrum" is the big white elephant in the room, or should I say the big black elephant. And needs a reissue. Rhino knows this.
But they have 20 other titles in line before this gets a repeat.

Tracks 5 & 9 are switched on the Henry Mancini disc 1. Sound is great. Is Baby Elephant Walk modified in any way? I'm not sure that I remember that sort of rhythm guitar or whatever it is in the rear channels. Sadly I cannot play the Dolby Digital CD as I no longer have Dolby decoding in the control amplifier, but I don't remember raising an eyebrow when I could play it all those years ago.

Rethink!
I've been comparing to the stereo Baby Elephant Walk on the AP SACD. That guitar is there but very subdued. It has become more prominent in the surround mix. Rather like the jangle piano in Star Star as remixed by Giles.

This SACD is seriously good. Seriously good. Needs to be played quite loud - and hope that the neighbours are Mancini fans. The other discs in the October release are excellent too. But this one so many memories.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yep. Now Rhino do “Spectrum”!
Yuppers and howzabout Vocalion gives us all the Edgar/Johnny Winter quads so many of them need a reissue.
Quad gold that's shockingly still not reissued
That and the two Aerosmiths' and the BOC's would be most of my rock quad wish list done!
I mean I can dream of some old Mahavishnu/Return to Forever being remixed for quad or Lenny Whites' Venusian Summer if I'm just throwing stuff out there
Hell Marion Browns' Vista and I'd be satisfied

"Spectrum" is the big white elephant in the room, or should I say the big black elephant. And needs a reissue. Rhino knows this.
But they have 20 other titles in line before this gets a repeat.
How about four new ones and a bonus fifth re-release going forward?

Hmm. Probably not.

Ugh! Just realized right this moment I’m in the DV thread. When Spectrum was mentioned, I automatically thought Rhino quadio.

Well, whichever company whenever it works for them.

Yuppers and howzabout Vocalion gives us all the Edgar/Johnny Winter quads so many of them need a reissue.
That and the two Aerosmiths' and the BOC's would be most of my rock quad wish list done!
I mean I can dream of some old Mahavishnu/Return to Forever being remixed for quad or Lenny Whites' Venusian Summer if I'm just throwing stuff out there
Must be prior licensing deals are in the way on those. No way D/V would simply ignore titles that hot because they want to.

Bet that SONY Japan will eventually release more Aerosmith and especially those Johnny/Edgar Winter titles on QUAD SACD in their special 7" packaging [deluxe]!

Back