October 2023 D-V SACD Releases (Isley Bros, O’Jays, Enoch Light, Tony Mottola, Henry Mancini)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought The Isley Brothers Quads. These two titles are up there with the best and favorite music titles back in the ‘70s, and today. They Rock. Also, got the new O’Jay’s, and Ted Nugent.

I’m still catching up with the other Quadraphonic titles that were released. More orders coming. I really appreciate all the efforts to get the titles out there. Thanks.

3rd Up

The O'Jays
Simply stunning 😍

Spent a fistful of pounds on the 5.1 SACD. But I'm happy to have both versions.
I have just listened to both versions of the track 'Ship Ahoy'. Am I slightly biased to Mr Duttons version? To be honest, apart from the obvious centre speaker being used/ not being used, I can't tell mucho difference.

So it's a tie 🤪

Last edited:
3rd Up

The O'Jays
Simply stunning 😍

Spent a fistful of pounds on the 5.1 SACD. But I'm happy to have both versions.
I have just listened to both versions of the track 'Ship Ahoy'. Am I slightly biased to Mr Duttons version? To be honest, apart from the obvious centre speaker being used/ not being used, I can't tell mucho difference.

So it's a tie 🤪
i thought the new "Ship Ahoy" was brighter/more detailed and maybe less oomphed in the mid-to-low end than the old SACD? maybe? maybe not! 🤔 i need to get the graphs and pie charts out and do a proper ABB comparison 🤓

the main event of this new O'Jays set for me is "Message In The Music" (my first SQ Quad LP purchased specifically to decode through the Surround Master since there was never a conversion of the very scarce old Quad LP or Q8 tape "out there"!!! 💘) i've been waiting to hear this beauty in this kind of quality for so long! i never thought it would happen - and now we've got it what we gonna do with it!? play it 'til the SACD player blows up at this rate!! 🤣🙏💝

whereas "Ship Ahoy" has a flashy showy mix with 360 degree pans, kooky zig zag panning and all manner of snazzy sound effects, "Message In The Music" has a cooly sophisticated much more static mix, effortlessly one of the most accomplished and natural Quads i've yet to hear, it never draws unnecessary attention to itself, it complements the music perfectly. if it had an actual Centre channel it could be mistaken for a 5.1 by someone the ilk of Elliot Scheiner, it's that good 😳

C
i thought the new "Ship Ahoy" was brighter/more detailed and maybe less oomphed in the mid-to-low end than the old SACD? maybe? maybe not! 🤔 i need to get the graphs and pie charts out and do a proper ABB comparison 🤓

the main event of this new O'Jays set for me is "Message In The Music" (my first SQ Quad LP purchased specifically to decode through the Surround Master since there was never a conversion of the very scarce old Quad LP or Q8 tape "out there"!!! 💘) i've been waiting to hear this beauty in this kind of quality for so long! i never thought it would happen - and now we've got it what we gonna do with it!? play it 'til the SACD player blows up at this rate!! 🤣🙏💝

whereas "Ship Ahoy" has a flashy showy mix with 360 degree pans, kooky zig zag panning and all manner of snazzy sound effects, "Message In The Music" has a cooly sophisticated much more static mix, effortlessly one of the most accomplished and natural Quads i've yet to hear, it never draws unnecessary attention to itself, it complements the music perfectly. if it had an actual Centre channel it could be mistaken for a 5.1 by someone the ilk of Elliot Scheiner, it's that good 😳
Couldn't agree more Adam , listening to ' Message in The Music', as I type.
All brand new to my ears 👂
Can anyone compete with Mr Duttons deft touch with these Quads?....

Hang on there partner, of course, them highly prized ones from Rhino, can

C

Couldn't agree more Adam , listening to ' Message in The Music', as I type.
All brand new to my ears 👂
Can anyone compete with Mr Duttons deft touch with these Quads?....

Hang on there partner, of course, them highly prized ones from Rhino, can
tbh i'd forgotten how much the Live album's an effing barnstormer as well, they were on fire that night! 🥳🤩

mixwise it's perfect for an alive and in your face recreation of the trio live at the height of their powers and the soundstage is used expertly to craft an exciting Surround representation; Bill's panned hard Left, Walter's hard Right and Eddie's belting out in the phantom Centre, the Band's big bass and drums are rattling the crowd's fillings, while the crowd's rattling their jewellery in the Rears, along with some tasty rhythm playing, horns and musical accents going on back there - woo!!!! 👀💘

edit: giving it a thorough listen again - and it's less of a 'set and forget' mix than i remembered! on Backstabbers, for instance, they mixed things up and so Eddie's hard Left rather than in the Centre, while Bill's hard Right and Walter's in the Centre! 🤯😋

Last edited:
tbh i'd forgotten how much the Live album's an effing barnstormer as well, they were on fire that night! 🥳🤩

mixwise it's perfect for an alive and in your face recreation of the trio live at the height of their powers and the soundstage is used expertly to craft an exciting Surround representation; Bill's panned hard Left, Walter's hard Right and Eddie's belting out in the phantom Centre, the Band's big bass and drums are rattling the crowd's fillings, while the crowd's rattling their jewellery in the Rears, along with some tasty rhythm playing, horns and musical accents going on back there - woo!!!! 👀💘
Love Train is sublime.

Let the force be with you all!!

6 Just arrived, so I will happily listen away on this rainy day

First up

Charles Gerhardt...Close Encounters and Star Wars (got this instead of the stereo, Mr Windy :D )

Needless to say....It's Mr Duttons exceptional quality, coming through loud and clear.
Thanks for mentioning the Charles Gerhardt! Ordered that one, Isley Bros, OJays and Mancini.

4th Up

Enoch Light
Serendipity and Beatles Classics

I wouldn't have given this one a second look if it wasn't for you guys waxing lyrically on how good his releases are.

And they sure are.
The original mixing engineer was spot on with all his quad speaker placements. And Mr Dutton brings it bang up to date. Wonderful

4th Up

Enoch Light
Serendipity and Beatles Classics

I wouldn't have given this one a second look if it wasn't for you guys waxing lyrically on how good his releases are.

And they sure are.
The original mixing engineer was spot on with all his quad speaker placements. And Mr Dutton brings it bang up to date. Wonderful
i've used that "Eleanor Rigby" track to setup and fine tune my CD-4 Quad demodulators, it's a wonderful 4-corner mix with separation to die for 💘🥳

Someone help me choose! I’m up to 5 titles in my cart and would like to add another to adhere to @GOS ’ law.

My top picks right now are:

Rick Derringer 2fer
Enoch Light Beatles Classics
Isley Brothers
BS&T Mirror Image
A Ray Conniff title (What’s the best one, content and mix wise)?
Grover Washington Soul Box

Someone help me choose! I’m up to 5 titles in my cart and would like to add another to adhere to @GOS ’ law.

Rick Derringer 2fer
Isley Brothers
BS&T Mirror Image
LOL, this time, I totally forgot about my own law and ordered 5. I sure hope they don't come cracked. Maybe I'll get lucky this time. :hi :censored:

Rick Derringer 2fer
Isley Brothers
BS&T Mirror Image

8 titles would also adhere to GOS' Law... 👀

Rick Derringer 2fer
Isley Brothers
BS&T Mirror Image
as much as i love the Rick Derringer 2-fer (especially "All American Boy") & the BS&T 2-fer, my number 6 would be the new Isley Brothers, it's fabulous! 😍
my favourite Ray Conniff was the one with 'Theme From SWAT' on it 👍✌️

Back